Eric Psota , PhD
Professional Memberships:• Associate Editor, Frontiers in Animal Science, 2020-present
• Review Board Member, Sensors, 2020-present
• Member, Diversity and Inclusion, College of Engineering Taskforce, 2019-2020
• Program Committee, Visual observation and analysis of Vertebrate And Insect Behavior (VAIB), 2018-present
• Publication Committee Member, Biomedical Signal Processing Session Chair, EIT 2017
• Member, IEEE, 2005-present
• Member, Eta Kappa Nu, 2002-present
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, NE
- M.S.E.E., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, NE
- B.S.E.E., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, NE
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Computer Vision and Deep Learning: including multi-object tracking, pose estimation, stereo correspondence, structure from motion, feature detection/tracking/matching, vision-guided robotic systems, precision livestock farming, and real-time vision systems.
- Signal Processing and Communications: including error control coding, information theory, detection and estimation, indoor localization, and wireless sensor networks.
US 20190138801 - Date of Patent: Oct 6, 2020, Systems for tracking individual animals in a group-housed environment,'' Eric T. Psota, Lance C. Perez, Mateusz Mittek, Ty Schmidt
- ECEN 305 Probability Theory and Statistics for Electrical and Computer Engineers
- ENGR 191 Developing Spatial Thinking
- ECEN 220 Introduction to Embedded Systems
- ECEN 464 Digital Communication Systems
- ECEN 316 Electronics and Circuits III
- ECEN 898 Multi-View Computer Vision
- ECEN 462 Communication Systems
- ECEN 211 Elements of Electrical Engineering
- ECEN 410 Multivariate Random Processes
Honors and Awards
Outstanding Reviewer, British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC), 2020
Omtvedt Innovation Team Award, 2019
Best Poster Award, Pig Welfare Symposium (PWS), 2017
Outstanding Researcher Honoree, UNL College of Engineering Research Celebration, 2017
Best Poster Award, Medicine Meets Virtual Reality (MMVR), 2012
J. B. Peace; E. T. Psota; Y. Liu, L. C. Perez. "E2ETag: An End-to-End Trainable Method for
Generating and Detecting Fiducial Markers," British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC),
September 7-11, 2020.
E. T. Psota; E. K. Luc; G. M. Pighetti; L. G. Schneider; R. T. Trout Fryxell. "Development
and Validation of a Neural Network for the Automated Detection of Horn Flies on Cattle,"
submitted to Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 2020.
V. M. Pacheco; I. C. F. S. Condotta; L. S. Martello; E. Psota, T. M. Brown-Brand. "An
Indoor Performance Comparison of Time-of-Flight Depth Cameras," 2020 ASABE Annual
International Virtual Meeting, No. 2001021, pp. 1-8, July 12-15, 2020.
E. K. Luc; E. Psota; L. G. Schneider; R. T. Trout Fryxell; G. M. Pighetti. "Horn Fly Effects
on Milk Quality and Yield in Organic Dairy Herds," submitted to Journal of Dairy Science,
B. Smythe; D. Boxler; G. Brewer; T. Psota; D. W. Watson. "Using Visual Imagery to Quantify
Horn Fly (Diptera: Muscidae) Densities," Journal of Insect Science, Vol. 20, Issue 6, Nov. 2020.
E. Psota; J. Carlson; P. Rodrigues Armijo; L. Flores; K.-C. Siu; D. Oleynikov; S. Farritor; N.
Bills. "End-Effector Contact and Force Detection for Miniature Robots Performing Lunar and
Expeditionary Surgery," submitted to Military Health, 2020.
A. N. Veeranampalayam Sivakumar; J. Li; S. Scott; E. Psota; A. J. Jhala; J. D. Luck; Y. Shi.
"Comparison of Object Detection and Patch-Based Classification Deep Learning Models on
Mid- to Late-Season Weed Detection in UAV Imagery," Remote Sensing, Vol. 12, No. 13:2136,
E. T. Psota; L. C. Perez; T. Schmidt; B. Mote. "Long-Term Tracking of Group-Housed Live-
stock using Part-Based Tracking and MAP Estimation for Individual Animal Identification,"
Sensors, Vol. 20, No 13:3670, June 2020.
E. Miller; Q. Hui; E. Psota; J. Carlson. "X-Ray Simulation using Pairwise Image Capture,
Multi-Camera Alignment, and a Generative Image-to-Image Neural Network," 2020 Virtual
Conference International Association of Medical Educators (IAMSE), June 2020.
Y. Liu; E. T. Psota; L. C. Perez. "Layered Embeddings for Amodal Instance Segmentation,"
Proceedings of the 2019 International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition (ICIAR),
E. T. Psota; M. Mittek; L. C. Perez; T. Schmidt; B. Mote. "Multi-Pig Part Detection and
Association with a Fully-Convolutional Network," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 4:852, February 2019.
T. Delahunty; L. C. Perez; P. Rivera Reyes; E. T. Psota; D. Molfese. "Investigating the
Relationship Between Spatial Ability and Electrical Circuits Problem Solving in an Engineering
Degree Program," in 7th International Conference on Spatial Cognition (ICSC), September
J. Carlson; M. Losey; E. T. Psota; S. Farritor; N. Bills; M. Morien; D. Oleynikov; L. C.
Perez. "Foundational Research Towards Semi-Autonomous Surgery," in Military Health System
Research Symposium (MHSRS), August 2018.
M. Mittek; E. T. Psota; L. C. Perez; T. Schmidt; B. Mote. "Tracking of Group-Housed Pigs
using Multi-Ellipsoid Expectation Maximization," in IET Computer Vision, Vol. 12, No. 2,
pp. 121-128, March 2018
M. Mittek; E. T. Psota; L. C. Perez; T. Schmidt; B. Mote. "Automated Pig Weight Estimation
using Convolutional Neural Networks," Proceedings of the Pig Welfare Symposium (PWS)
(Winner: Best Poster), November 2017.
Y. Liu; E. T. Psota; L. C. Perez. "Human-Readable Fiducial Marker Classification using Con-
volutional Neural Networks," in 2017 IEEE International Conference on Electro Information
Technology (EIT), pp. 606-610, 2017.
M. Mittek; E. T. Psota; L. C. Perez; T. Schmidt; B. Mote. "Health Monitoring of Group-
Housed Pigs using Depth-Enabled Multi-Object Tracking," in Visual observation and analysis
of Vertebrate And Insect Behavior (VAIB), pp. 9-12, 2016.
P. Sapirstein; E. T. Psota. "Pattern Matching and the Analysis of Damaged Ancient Ob-
jects: the Case of the Column Drum," in ACM Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage
(JOCCH), 9(3), p. 13, 2016.
E. T. Psota; J. Kowalczuk; M. Mittek; L. C. Perez. "MAP Disparity Estimation using Hid-
den Markov Trees," Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision
(ICCV), pp. 2219-2227, 2015.