City Campus (Lincoln)
Personal Links:• J.A. Woollam Co., Inc.
• J.A. Woollam Fellowships
- 2004, Doctorate (hon.), Linköping University, Sweden
- 1967, Ph.D., Solid State Physics, Michigan State University.
- 1978, M.S., Electrical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University.
- 1963, M.S., Physics, Michigan State University.
- 1961, B.A., Liberal Arts, Kenyon College.
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Optical, electrical, and microstructural studies of solids, films, interfacial effects and environmental effects on materials
- Optical coatings, protective coatings, biomaterials and their interfaces; for example protein interactions on surfaces.
Jan 18, 2017: Woollam to receive ICMCTF's R.F. Bunshah Award
Dec 16, 2014: ECE professor Woollam named NAI Fellow
Apr 05, 2013: John Woollam honored by American Physical Society
About John Woollam
Professor Woollam is an outgoing individual deeply involved in helping students build careers, and especially in research and development. As part of this process, both he and his students travel to conferences in and out of the United States to exchange research results and to collaborate with other researchers. Students and faculty in the Center for Microelectronic and Optical Materials Research interact strongly and share state-of-the-art research facilities. Professor Woollam is nationally active in several professional societies.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society, 2006
- College of Engineering Faculty Service Award, 2006, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Doctorate (hon.), Linköping University, Linköping, Sweden, 2004
- George Holmes Distinguished Professor, University of Nebraska
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 1981
- National Research Council Fellow, 1967
- E. Franke, H. Neumann, M. Schubert, C.L. Trimble, L. Yan, J.A. Woollam, "Low-orbit-environment protective coating for all-solid-state electrochromic surface heat radiation control devices", Surface and Coatings Technology 151-152, 285 (2002)
- L. Yan, J.A. Woollam, "Optical constants and roughness study of dc magnetron sputtered iridium films", Journal of Applied Physics Vol. 92, 4386-4392 (2002).
- D.W. Thompson, G. Pfeiffer, E. Berberov, L. Castro, and J.A. Woollam, "Infrared and Visible Ellipsometric Studies of Cholera Toxin in ELISA Structures", Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering 4965, 138-146 (2003).
- J.A.Woollam, C. Bungay, J. Hilfiker, and T. Tiwald, "VUV and IR Spectroellipsometric Studies of Polymer Surfaces", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 208, 35-39 (2003) (Plenary - Invited).
- B.W. Woods, D.W. Thompson, and J.A. Woollam, "Gold-alumina Cermet Photothermal Films", Thin Solid Films, 469-470, 31-37 (2004).
- L. Yan, J.A. Woollam, "Optical Modeling of Iridium Thin Film Erosion Under Oxygen Plasma Exposure", J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 22(5), 2177-2181 (2004).
- J. N. Hilfiker, J. A. Woollam, "Encyclopedia of Modern Optics", Elsevier Ltd., 297-307 (2005).
- W.H. Nosal, D.W. Thompson, L. Yan, S. Sarkar, A. Subramanian, J.A. Woollam, "Infrared Optical Properties and AFM of Spin-Cast Chitosan Films Chemically Modified with 1,2 Epoxy-3-Phenoxy-Propane", Colloids Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 46, No. 1, 26-31, (November, 2005).
- D.W. Thompson and J.A. Woollam "Enhancing infrared response of adsorbed biomaterials using ellipsometry and textured surfaces," Spectroscopy-an International Journal 19, 147-164,(2005).
- W.H. Nosal, D.W. Thompson, S. Sarkar, A. Subramanian, J.A. Woollam, "Quantitative Oscillator Analysis of IR-optical spectra on Spin-Cast Chitosan Films", Spectroscopy: An International Journal 19, 267-274, (2005).
- D.W. Thompson, P.G. Snyder, L. Castro, L. Yan, P. Kaipa, J.A. Woollam, "Optical Characterization of Porous Alumina from Vacuum Ultraviolet to Mid-infrared", J. Appl. Phys. 97, Issue 11,113511-113511.9, (2005).
- B. W. Woods, D. W. Thompson, J. A. Woollam, "Cermet Thermal Conversion Coatings for Space Applications", Protection of Materials and Structures from the Space Environment, Space Technology Proceedings, Vol. 6, ICPMSE-7, 265-276, (2006).
- L. G. Castro, D.W. Thompson, T. Tiwald, E. M. Berberov and J.A. Woollam, "Repeatability of Ellipsometric Data in Cholera Toxin GM1-ELISA Structures", Surface Science Vol. 601, No. 8, 1795-1803 (2007).