• IEEE Nebraska Section
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2002
- M.Eng., Information and Signal Processing, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, 1998
- B.Eng., Electrical Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan, China, 1992
- Large-scale dynamic complex system modeling and optimization
- Green computing and battery power management
- Dynamically reconfigurable embedded system design optimization
- Quality-driven cross-layer optimized multimedia over wireless
- Cognitive network management and service-oriented architecture
- Cyber-enabled e-healthcare
Dr. Ci's research interests include: large-scale dynamic complex system modeling and optimization, green computing and battery power management, dynamically reconfigurable embedded system design optimization, quality-driven cross-layer optimized multimedia over wireless, cognitive network management and service-oriented architecture, and cyber-enabled e-healthcare. He has published more than 140 research papers in referred journals and international conferences in those areas, and his research has been sponsored by federal and state funding such as NSF, NRI, and UNL. He is the director of Intelligent Ubiquitous Computing Lab (iUbiComp Lab) and holds a courtesy appointment of UNL Ph.D. in Biomedical EngineeringProgram. He is also affiliated with Nebraska Biomechanics Core Facility at University of Nebraska at Omaha and Center for Advanced Surgical Technology (CAST) at University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE. He is also an affiliated member of Nebraska Water Center.
He has been actively engaging in many professional activities. He serves as Guest Editor of IEEE Transactions on Multimedia Special Issue on Quality-Driven Cross-Layer Design for Multimedia Communications, Guest Editor of IEEE Network Magazine Special Issue on Wireless Mesh Networks: Applications, Architectures and Protocols, Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (TVT), Associate Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Communications, Associate Editor in the Editorial Board of Wiley Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (Wiley WCMC), Associate Editor of Journal of Computer Systems, Networks, and Communications, Associate Editor of Journal of Security and Communication Networks, Associate Editor of Journal of Communications.
He serves as the general co-chair of WICON 2011, the TPC co-chair of IEEE EMTEC 2011, the special session co-chair of IEEE VPPC 2011, the TPC co-chair of wireless network symposium of IEEE Globecom 2010, the TPC co-chair of IEEE ICCCN 2009, the TPC vice chair of IEEE ICCCN 2007, the session chair of IEEE MILCOM 2007-2008 on cross-layer protocols, the TPC co-chair of IEEE WLN 2007, the TPC co-chair of Wireless Applications track at IEEE VTC 2007 Fall. He serves as TPC members for numerous conferences, including IEEE INFOCOM 2009, IEEEGlobeCom (2004-2009), and IEEE ICC (2005-2009). He also serves as a professional reviewer for many referred journals and international conferences. He won the Best Paper Award of the 2004 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control. He is the awardee of the 2009 Faculty Research and Creative Activity Award at College of Engineering of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the sole awardee of the 2005 Alvin D. Loving Junior Faculty Award and the recipient of the Golden Apple Teaching Award (nominated by students) at the University of Michigan-Flint.
He is the Vice Chair of Computer Society of IEEE Nebraska Section, Senior Member of the IEEE, and Member of the ACM and the ASHRAE. He is the SIG chair of Quality-Driven Cross-Layer Design of the Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC) of the IEEE Communications Society (COMSOC).
- NSF NeTS:EAGER: C2RN: Towards Cognitive Cognitive Radio Networks
- EPA P3: i-Save: an Interactive Real-time Monitoring and Controller to Influence Energy
- NSF IHCS: ARMS: A Novel Adaptive ConfiguRable Multi-cell Battery System for Power-Aware Electronics
- NSF TF: SING: Exploring the Fundamental Limits of Cross-Layer Optimization in the Next-Generation Internet.
- NSF CRI: IAD: Collaborative Research: Towards Cyber-Physical Computing at Scale: A Life-Size Experimental Facility for Applied Sensor Networks Research
- Layman Foundation: Cognitive Resources Allocation in Wireless Multimedia Networks
- NECSR: Optimization of Irrigation Efficiency of Center-pivot Systems Using Spatial and Temporal Data Integration
- NCESR: Self-X: An Intelligent large-Scale Battery System for Renewable Energy Storage
- NRI: Bioengineering a Medical Device for the Evaluation of Sitting Posture in Infants with Motor Disabilities
- NRI: The Use of Virtual Simulations and Robotic Manipulators for the Improvement of Robotic Surgical Educational Training
- NRI: Establishment of Innovative Self-Powered Smart Wireless Identification and Tracking Research Core
- NRI: Nebraska Bioengineering Innovation: A Novel Wireless Mobility Monitoring System
- IEEE GLOBECOM 2010 Outstanding Service Award
- 2009 and 2010 Faculty Research and Creative Activity Award at College of Engineering of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Nomination of Outstanding Service to Graduate Students, 2010, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2009 New Innovation Notification, University of Nebraska Medical Center and UNeMed Corp.
- 4G Wireless Video Communications, John Wiley & Sons, April, 2009. ISBN: 978-0-470-77307-9.
Recent Selected Publications (2009-present):
The authors associated with (*) are graduated students and postdocs supervised or co-supervised by me.
Energy Management and Green Computing:
J-1 Ci, S., Qian, J.(*), Wu, D.(*), Keyhani, A., Impact of Wireless Communication Delay on Load Sharing among Distributed Generation Systems through Smart Microgrids, IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, 2012.
J-2 Zhang, J.(*), Ci, S., Alahmad M., Sharif, H., Modeling Discharge Behavior of Multi-cell Battery, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 2010.
J-3 Zhang, J.(*), Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., Wang, H., Katsaggelos, A., Power-Aware Mobile Multimedia: a Survey, Journal of Communications, 2009.
C-1 Zhang, J.(*), Ci, S., Dynamic Reconfigurable Multi-Cell Battery, IEEE APEC 2012.
C-2 Sun, J.(*), Wu, D.L.(*), Ci, S., Battery Capacity Footprinting and Optimization Analysis for Wireless Multimedia Communication, IEEE Globecom 2011.
C-3 Zhang, J.(*), Ci, S., SOC Modeling of Arbitrary Cell Connection, IEEE Energy Conversion Congress & Expo (ECCE), 2010.
C-4 Sun, J.(*), Wu, D.L.(*), and Song Ci, Battery-Aware Optimization for Wireless Video Coding and Delivery, QShine 2010.
C-5 Zhang, J.(*), Ci, S., Alahmad M., Sharif, H., An Enhanced Circuit-Based Model for Single-Cell Battery, the 25th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference & Exposition (APEC), 2010.
C-6 Zhang,, J.(*), Ci, S.(*), and Wang, X.(*), Battery Energy Consumption Footprint of Embedded Multimedia Systems, Workshop on Low Power System on Chip (SoC), IEEE IGCC 2010.
C-7 Zhang, J.(*), Ci, S., Alahmad M., Sharif, H., Lifetime Optimization for Wireless Sensor Networks Using the Nonlinear Battery Current Effect, IEEE ICC 2009.
Cross-Layer Optimized Resource Allocation and System Behavior Modeling:
J-1 Liu, Y., Ci, S., Tang, H., Ye, Y.(*), Liu, J., QoE-oriented 3D Video Transcoding for Mobile Streaming, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications (ACM TOMCCAP), to appear.
J-2 An, W.(*), Lin, J., Shao, F., Luo, H.(*), Wu, D.(*), Importance-Based Data Transmission Optimization in Multi-Source Wireless Sensor Networks, Wiley Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 2012.
J-3 Xu, Y(*)., Niu, W., Tang, H., Li, G., Zhao, Z., Ci, S., A Policy-Based Web Service Redundancy Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks, Journal of Network and System Management, 2012.
J-4 Ci, S., Wu, D.(*), Ye, Y.(*), Han, Z., Su, G., Wang, H., Video Summary Delivery over Cooperative Wireless Networks, IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, 2012.
J-5 Wang, Z.(*), Han, Y., Lin, T., Xu, Y., Ci, S., Tang, H., Topology-Aware Virtual Network Embedding Based on Closeness Centrality, Frontiers of Computer Science, 2012.
J-6 Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., Luo, H.(*), Ye, Y.(*), and Wang, H., Video Surveillance over Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks Using Active Cameras, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 2011.
J-7 Liu, Y., Huang, Q., Ma, S., Zhao, D., Gao, W, Ci, S., Tang, H., A Novel Rate Control Technique for Multiview Video Plus Depth Based 3D Video Coding, IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 2011.
J-8 Li, H., Xu, X., Hu, D., Tao, X., Zhang, P., Ci, S., Tang, H., Clustering Strategy based on Graph Method and Power Control for Frequency Resource Management in Femtocelland Macrocell Overlaid System, Elsevier Journal of Communications and Networks, 2011.
J-9 Luo H.(*), Ci, S., Wu D.(*), A Cross-layer Design for the Performance Improvement of Real-time Video Transmission of Secondary Users over Cognitive Radio Networks, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2011.
J-10 Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., Luo, H.(*), Guo, H., A Theoretical Framework for Interaction Measure and Sensitivity Analysis in Cross-Layer Design, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, 2010.
J-11 Guo, H. and Ci, S., Toward the Practical Determination of Non-additive Measure, Advances in Fussy Sets and Systems, 2010.
J-12 Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., Wang, H., Katsaggelos, A., Application-Centric Routing for Video Streaming over Multi-hop Wireless Networks, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems on Video Technology, 2010.
J-13 Luo, H.(*), Ci, S., Wu, D.(*), Wu, J., Tang H., Quality-driven Cross-layer Optimized Video Delivery over LTE, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2010.
J-14 Luo, H.(*), Ci, S., Wu, D.(*), Siu, K., and Sterigiou, N., Content-aware Wireless Real-time Streaming for Marker-less Human Motion Tracking, IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, 2010.
J-15 Luo, H.(*), Ci, S., Wu, D.(*), Argyriou, A., Joint Source Coding and Network-Supported Distributed Error Control for Video Streaming in Wireless Multi-Hop Networks, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 2009.
J-16 Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., Luo, H.(*), Wang, H., Katsaggelos, A., A Quality-Driven Decision Engine for Service-Oriented Live Video Transmission, IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, in press, 2009.
J-17 Luo, H.(*), Ci, S., Wu, D.(*), Cross-layer Optimized End-to-End TCP Friendly Rate Control for Real-Time Video Streaming, Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, in press, 2009.
J-18 Han, Z., Su, G., Wang, H., Ci, S., Su, W., Auction Based Resource Allocation for Cooperative Video Transmission Protocols over Wireless Networks, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2009.
C-1 Hu, Y., Lv, G.(*), Ci, S., Tang, H., A Cross-Layer Video Transmission Scheme With Guaranteed End-To-End QoS Over MIMO OFDM Systems, IEEE ICME 2012.
C-2 Liu, Y., Ci, S., Liu, J., Ye, Y.(*), Qi, Y., Integrating Stereoscopic Image Transcoding with Retargeting for Mobile Streaming, IEEE VCIP 2012.
C-3 Liu, Y., Ci, S., Tang, H., Ye, Y.(*), A Transcoding Framework with Error-Resilient Video/Depth Rate Allocation for Mobile 3D Video Streaming, IEEE ICC 2012.
C-4 Ci, S., Wu, D.(*), Luo, H.(*), Cross-Layer Rate Adaptation for Video Communications over LTE Networks, IEEE Globecom 2012.
C-5 Li, H., Ci, S., Wang, Z.(*), Prediction Handover Trigger Scheme for Reducing Handover Latency in Two-Tier Femtocell Networks, IEEE Globecom 2012.
C-6 Wang, Z.(*), Han, Y., Lin, T., Tang, H., Ci, S., Virtual Network Embedding by Exploiting, IEEE Globecom 2012.
C-7 Song, J.(*), Zhou, X., Zhang, Y., Tang, H., Bai, F., Ci, S., A Playback Length Changeable Chunk Scheduling Algorithm for SVC-based P2P Streaming Systems, IEEEGlobecom 2012.
C-8 Lei, J.(*), Niu, W., Qin, Y., Tang, H., Ci, S., Aggregating User Rating and Service Context for WSN Service Ranking, IEEE Globecom 2012.
C-9 Niu, W., Yang, X., Li, G., Tong, E.(*), Tang, H., Ci, S., An Agent Collaboration-based Data Hierarchical Caching Approach for HD Video Surveillance, AAMAS-ADMI 2012.
C-10 Yun, T.(*), Niu, W., Yang, X., Tang, H., Ci, S., Frequency-Adaptive Cluster Head Election in Wireless Senor Network, IFIP IIP 2012.
C-11 An, W.(*), Luo, H.(*), Ci, S., Lin, J., The Maximized Relay Capacity and Optimal Data Transmission for Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE Globecom 2011.
C-12 Ye, Y.(*), Ci, S., Dynamic Video Object Detection with Single PTU Camera, IEEE VCIP 2011.
C-13 Liu, Y., Ci, S., Tang, H., A Transcoding Framework with Error-Resilient Video/Depth Rate Allocation for Mobile 3D Video Streaming, IEEE VCIP 2011.
C-14 Liu, W.(*), Hu, Y., Feng, Z., Ci, S., Power Control for Relay-Assisted Cognitive Radio Networks-Part I: Centralized Scenario, IEEE CCNC 2011.
C-15 Liu, W.(*), Hu, Y., Feng, Z., Ci, S., Power Control for Relay-Assisted Cognitive Radio Networks-Part II: Distributed Scenario, IEEE VTC 2011.
C-16 Liu, W.(*), Hu, Y., Feng, Z., Ci, S., Adaptive Resource Allocation and Scheduling for Cognitive Radio MIMO-OFDMA Systems, IEEE VTC 2011.
C-17 Peng, G.(*), Liu, Y., Hu, Y., Ci, S., Tang, H., End-to-end Distortion Optimized Error Control for Real-time Wireless Video Streaming, IEEE MMSP 2011.
C-18 Argyriou, A.,Luo, H.(*), Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., Joint Video Source Coding and Distributed Link Adaptation in Wireless Mesh Networks, IEEE ICC 2010.
C-19 Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., Luo, H.(*), Wang, H., Katsaggelos, A., Application-Centric Routing for Video Streaming over Multi-hop Wireless Networks, IEEE SECON 2009 (Acceptance Ratio: 81/431=18.8%).
C-20 Luo, H.(*), Ci, S., Wu, D.(*), A Cross-Layer Optimized Distributed Scheduling Algorithm for Peer-to-Peer Video Streaming over Wireless Multi-hop Mesh Networks, IEEE SECON 2009 (Acceptance Ratio: 81/431=18.8%).
C-21 Luo, H.(*), Wu, D.(*), Ci, S., H.Sharif, H. Tang, TFRC-based Rate Control for Real-Time Video Streaming over Wireless Multi-hop Mesh Networks, IEEE ICC 2009.
C-22 Wu, D.(*), Han, Z., Ci, S., Su, G., Wang, H., H. Tang, Cooperative Video Summary Transmission in Wireless Networks, IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, 2009.
Invited Talk, Panel and Tutorial:
- Energy Internet: Using ICT Technologies to Solve Energy Problem, Energy Internet Summit 2012
- Sustainable Cloud Computing, Cloud World 2011
- Technical Trend of Mobile Internet: Application Modes, Traffic Patterns, and Architecture Design, the 5th International Workshop on Mobile Internet, 2011
- Self-X: Design a Large-Scale Intelligent Battery Energy Storage, the Ohio State University, 2011
- Tutorial on User-Centric Multimedia Communications at IEEE ICCCN 2011
- Spotlight talk at NSF Workshop on the Science of Power Management, 2009
- Featured presentation at Battery Power Conference 2009
- NSF Panels for CISE and ENG
- Review Panel for the Innovation and Technology Commission of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, 2009
- Keynote Speaker at the IEEE International Workshop on Application-Driven Cross-Layer Design for Multimedia Communications, 2009
- Tutorial on Quality-Driven Cross-Layer Optimized Multimedia Communications at IEEE Globecom 2008
- Quality-Driven Cross-Layer Optimized Wireless Multimedia Communications, Northwestern University, 2008