Faculty Feature: Dr. Michael Sealy
Dr. Michael SealyAssistant Professor of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Q: Other than your time together in in the classroom, how do you connect with your students?
- I connect with students through several mentorship activities, such as the Engineering Entrepreneurship Pitch Competition and Capstone Design Projects.
- I also serve as the faculty advisor to UNL’s Formula SAE team, known as Husker Motorsports, and the student chapter of ASME.
- Lastly, I seek out motivated undergraduate students to get involved in research activity in additive manufacturing.
Q: What do you like most about teaching and mentoring your students?I enjoy challenging my students to help push their thinking and personal growth.
Q: What is the most important thing for students to know about interacting with faculty at Nebraska?
- Don’t rely on email for communication (my backlog is 1600 emails).
- Professors have a lot of experience to share with you, so don’t be shy about reaching out and engaging with them.
What his students say…"Dr. Sealy is fantastic, both as a teacher and as a mentor. He encouraged me to pursue research when I showed an interest allowing me to assist one of his grad students. Shortly after then pushed me to pursue a research course which resulted in my presenting at a national conference where I later received an internship and grad school recruitment at a tier 1 research institution." – Mary R.
"Dr. Sealy revealed his passion for teaching through the effort he put into motivating the importance of the subject, clarifying content, and building to the practical applications; this approach was carried through his basic foundational courses like manufacturing to graduate courses like additive manufacturing. Not only is he pushing the boundaries of academic knowledge through his research into unique additive manufacturing, he is attempting to change medicine by bringing his technology to market and sharing how to develop a real-world technology with the student body." – Jacob Q.