Publications and Presentations
Indoor Environmental Conditions and Their Interactions
- K. H. Smith and L. M. Wang (2019) “Exploring the effect of ventilation type on the acoustics of primary and secondary school classrooms” International Congress on Acoustics 2019, Aachen, Germany.
- A. Kabirikopaei, M. Kuhlenengel, A. Arthur, J. Bovaird, J. Lau, C. Waters, and L. M. Wang (2019) “The effects of indoor environmental factors on students' academic achievement” 2019 AEI Conference, Tysons, VA; 3-5 April 2019.
- K. H. Smith and L. M. Wang (2019) "Relationships between acoustical, IAQ, thermal, and lighting parameters, logged over time" 2019 AEI Conference; Tysons, VA; 3-5 April 2019.
- L. M. Wang and J. Lau (2019) "An Investigation of Indoor Environmental Factors and Their Effects on K-12 Student Achievement” ASHRAE Winter Conference; Atlanta, GA; 12-16 January 2019.
- L. M. Wang (2018) "E10: Can School Buildings Make Kids Healthy and Smart? Innovative Explorations and Findings by EPA's School Health Research Grantees" Greenbuild 2018, Chicago.
- A. Kabiri and C. Waters, An Investigation of School Environmental effects on Student Achievement, ASHRAE Annual Conference, SGPC 10 Technical Committee meeting, June 24, 2018
- M. Kuhlenengel and C. Waters, “School Environmental Effects on Student Achievement” Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Portland, OR, June 7, 2018
- M. Kuhlenengel, L. Brill, S. Deng, H. Lester, J. Bovaird, J. Lau, L. Wang, C. Waters (2017) "An investigation of school environmental effects on student achievement" 2017 AEI Conference; Oklahoma City, OK; 12-14 April 2017.
- J. Lau, S. Deng, H. Lester, J. Bovaird, L. Wang, and C. Waters (2016) "Do the Students in High Performance Incentive (HPI) Schools Demonstrate More Academic Improvement Than Their Peers in Non-HPI Schools?" IAQ 2016; Alexandria, VA; 12-14 September 2016.
- J. Lau, L. M. Wang, C. Waters, and J. Bovaird (2016) "A need for evidence-based and multidisciplinary research to study the effects of the interaction of school environmental conditions on student achievement" Indoor and Built Environment 25(6) 869–871.
- L. M. Wang, J. Lau, C. Waters, and J. Bovaird (2015) "Evidence-based interactions between indoor environmental factors and their effects on K-12 student achievement" 2015 Research Summit on Childhood Healthy and School Buildings; Washington DC; 17 November 2015.
Studies on Acoustic Conditions
- D. Hintz and L. M. Wang (2020) “Acoustic conditions in occupied K-12 classrooms as measured over four continuous weekdays” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 148, 2698(A).
- L. M. Wang, L. C. Brill, J. Nord, and J. Bovaird (2020) “Higher speech levels in K-12 classrooms correlate to lower math achievement scores” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 148, 2631(A).
- L. M. Wang (2020) "Relationship between Acoustic and Other Indoor Environmental Conditions on Student Achievement in Primary and Secondary Classrooms" 1st Biennial International Conference on Acoustics and Vibration (ANV 2020), 23-24 November 2020. Invited Keynote Speaker.
- L. M. Wang and K. H. Smith (2019) "Acoustic conditions in occupied classrooms" 26th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV26), Montreal, Canada.
- K. H. Smith, A. Arthur, J. Bovaird, and L. M. Wang (2018) “Effects of measured acoustic and other indoor environment factors on student achievement in K-12 classrooms” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 144, 1894(A).
- K. H. Smith and L. M. Wang. (2018) "Exploring relationships between measured acoustic, lighting, and indoor air quality metrics logged in K-12 classrooms" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 143, 1894(A).
- J. A. Paine and L. M. Wang. (2017) “Analyses of sound level variations in occupied K-12 classrooms” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 142, 2543(A).
- L. C. Brill and L. M. Wang. (2017) “Compiled acoustic and indoor environmental condition data from 220 K-12 classrooms” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 141, 3480(A).
- L. M. Wang, L. C. Brill, H. Lester and J. Bovaird. (2017) “Relations between acoustic quality and student achievement in K-12 classrooms” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 141, 3966(A).
- L. C. Brill and L. M. Wang (2016) "Exploring correlation between sound levels in active occupied classrooms and unoccupied classrooms" 5th Joint Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America and Acoustical Society of Japan; Honolulu, HI; 28 November - 2 December 2016.
- J. Lee, L. C. Brill, L. M. Wang, H. Lester, and J. Bovaird (2016) "Statistically defining the construct of ‘acoustic quality’ in K-12 classrooms" 5th Joint Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America and Acoustical Society of Japan; Honolulu, HI; 28 November - 2 December 2016.
- L. C. Brill and L. M. Wang (2016) "How the use of different time sampling windows impacts measured noise metrics in K-12 classrooms" 22nd International Congress on Acoustics; Buenos Aires, Argentina; 5-9 September 2016.
- L. C. Brill and L. M. Wang (2016) "Comparison of occupied and unoccupied noise levels in K-12 classrooms" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 139, 1979(A).
Studies on Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Conditions
- A. Kabirikopaei, J. Lau, J. Nord, and J. Bovaird (2021) "Identifying the K-12 classrooms' indoor air quality factors that affect student academic performance" Sci. Tot. Envr. 786, 147498.
- S. Deng, B. Zhou, and J. Lau (2021) "The Adverse Associations of Classrooms’ Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Comfort Conditions on Students’ Illness Related Absenteeism between Heating and Non-Heating Seasons—A Pilot Study" Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18(4), 1500
- A. Kabririkopaei and J. Lau (2020) "Uncertainty analysis of various CO2-based tracer-gas methods for estimating seasonal ventilation rates in classrooms with different mechanical systems" Building and Environment, 179:107003
- S. Deng and J. Lau (2019) "Seasonal Variations of Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Conditions and Their Correlations in 220 Classrooms in the Midwestern United States” Building and Environment, 157: 79-88.
Studies on Lighting Conditions
- C. Waters and M. Kuhlenengel (2020) 2020 IES Virtual Research Symposium.
- M. Kuhlenengel, C. Waters, I. Konstantzos (2019) “Assessing the impact of outside view on learning: a close look to EN 17037 ‘view out’ practices through the analysis of 220 classrooms” CISBAT 2019, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- M. Kuhlenengel and C. Waters (2016) "An investigation of school lighting effects on student achievement" Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) 2016 Annual Conference; Orlando, FL; 23-25 October 2016.
- A. Guha and C. Waters (2016) "Quantifying view: a way forward to statistically analyzing the effect of view on human performance" Council for Optical Radiation Measurements (CORM) 2016 Annual Technical Conference; Gaithersburgh, MD; 15-18 May 2016.