At Home Science Activities from the mesoLab
Floating Treatment Wetland Station - Can be adapted from elementary (with adult assistance) and up!
How Do Pollutants Move Down Rivers? - Good for Pre-K and up!
What is an Aquifer? - Good for Pre-K and up!
What is a Wetland? - Good for Pre-K and up!
What are Wetland Ecosystem Services? - Good for Pre-K and up!
What Lives in a Wetlands? - Good for Pre-K and up (Coming Soon)!
Other Awesome At Home Water Experiments Developed by Others
Evaporation Station (Water Cycle in a Bag) - Good for Pre-K and up!
Water Experiments - All kinds of ideas for Pre-K and up!
Low Cost Water Experiments - All kinds of ideas for Pre-K and up!
Recommended Book Titles for Water and Science
- The Water Princess by Susan Verde, ISBN-13: 9780399172588
- Polar Bear, Why is Your World Melting? By Robert E. Wells, ISBN-13: 9780807565995
- At the Marsh in the Meadow by Janie Mebane, ISBN-13: 9781585369799
- Goodnight Lab by Chris Ferrie, ISBN-13: 9781492656173
- All the Way to the Ocean by Joel Harper, ISBN-13: 9780971425415
- Scientist, Scientist, Who do you See? By Chris Ferrie, ISBEN-13: 9781492656180
- Iggy Peck, Architect, by Andrea Beaty, ISBN-13: 9780810911062
- Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty, ISBN-13: 9781419708459
- Ada Twist, Scientist by Andrea Beaty, ISBN-13: 9781419721373
- Did a dinosaur drink this water? by Robert E. Wells, ISBN-13: 9780807588406
- Ethan the Raindrop by Sean Patrick Guidera, ISBN-13: 9781514112960
- Izzy Gizmo by Pip Jones, ISBN-13: 9781682630211
- One Well, The story of Water on Earth by Rochell Strauss, ISBN-13: 978-1553379546
Big Red Summer Camp
Dr. Messer and her students provide an educational surface/groundwater water interaction activity during Big Red Summer Camp. The activity enables students to visualize contaminant movement from surface water to groundwater and have a better understanding of fate and transport of contaminants.
NE Onsite Wastewater Treatment System Advisory Committee (OWAC)
Dr. Messer represents the University of Nebraska on the OWAC, which provides discussion, guidance, and implementation of Onsite Wastewater Treatment installation and maintance training for the state of Nebraska.
Early Education Workshops
Dr. Messer has created a early education workshop for preschoolers interested in learning about streams and wetlands. She conducts the workshop in the fall and spring at Dimensions Early Education Preschool in Lincoln, NE, which is supported by the Arbor Day Foundation.