Cho Wing Solomon To
Cho Wing Solomon ToPROFESSOR EMERITUS
- Ph.D., 1980, University of Southampton
- M.S., 1975, University of Calgary
- B.S. (Hons.), 1973, University of Southampton
- Sound and Vibration Studies
Nonlinear, random and chaotic vibration, noise and vibration control of structures and machinery, signal analysis and machinery noise diagnostics.
- Solid and Computational Mechanics
Linear and nonlinear finite element methods with emphasis on isotropic and laminated composite shell finite elements development and their applications; mechanical properties of nanostructures.
- System Dynamics and Controls
Dynamics of multi-body systems under deterministic and stochastic excitations, stochastic optimal control of vibration in active structures and systems.
Design methodology, computer-aided design.
About Cho Wing Solomon To
Dr. To joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1996. Prior to joining UNL, he was a professor at the University of Western Ontario and an associate professor at the University of Calgary. He was a Research Fellow of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada from 1982-1992, and a Research Fellow at the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR), University of Southampton. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and a Founder Fellow of the Institution of Diagnostics Engineers, U.K. He is also a member of the American Academy of Mechanics (AAM), and the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).
He served as chair of the ASME Finite Element Techniques and Computational Technologies Technical Committee. He has also served as graduate chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering before the formation of the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering. In addition to being a member of the editorial boards for several refereed international journals, Dr. To currently serves as associate editors of the International Journal of Mechanics, WSEAS Transactions on Applied and Theoretical Mechanics, and editor of the eBook series on Engineering Dynamics and Vibration.
- To, C.W.S., Stochastic Structural Dynamics: Application of Finite Element Methods. First Edition, Wiley, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom (2014).
- To, C.W.S., Nonlinear Random Vibration: Analytical Techniques and Applications. Second Edition, CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Florida (2012).
- To, C.W.S., Nonlinear Random Vibration: Computational Methods. Zip Publishing, Columbus, Ohio (2010).
- To, C.W.S., Ingale, N.B., and Fu, J., “Equivalent bulging factors of internally pressurized cracked laminated composite cylindrical shell structures.” Engineering Structures, Vol. 56, pp. 1658-1664 (2013).
- To, C.W.S., Fu, J., and Zhang, X., “Analytical solutions of a class of nonlinear single degree-of-freedom systems to nonstationary random excitations.” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 139(10), pp. 1491-1495 (2013).
- Ho, W., Wong, B., England, D., Pang, A., and To, C.W.S., “Reduction of corrugation growth rate by rail dampers.” The Asian Railway Magazine, Issue 47 (March), pp. 18-19 (2013).
- To, C.W.S., “Response analysis of nonlinear multi-degree-of-freedom systems with uncertain properties to non-Gaussian random excitations.” Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 27, pp. 75-81 (2012).
- To, C.W.S., "Large nonlinear responses of spatially nonhomogeneous stochastic shell structures under nonstationary random excitations." Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 9, /041002-1/041002-8/ (2009).
- To, C.W.S. and Chen, Z., "First passage time of nonlinear ship rolling in narrow band non-stationary random seas." J. of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 309, pp.197-209 (2008).
- Hua, X. and To, C.W.S., "Simple and efficient tetrahedral finite elements with rotational degrees of freedom for solid modeling." Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 7(4), pp. 382-393 (2007).
- To, Cho W.S. and Chen, Tao, "Optimal control of random vibration in plate and shell structures with distributed piezoelectric components." International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 49, pp. 1389-1398 (2007).
- To, Cho W. S., "Bending and shear moduli of single-walled carbon nanotubes." Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 42, pp. 404-413 (2006).
- Chen, Z. and To, C.W.S., "Responses of discretized systems under narrow band nonstationary random excitations: Part I, Linear Problems & Part II, Nonlinear Problems." Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 287, pp. 433-479 (2005).
- To, C.W.S., "A statistical nonlinearization technique for multi-degrees of freedom nonlinear systems under white noise excitations." Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 286, pp. 69-79 (2005).
- To, C.W.S. and Liu, W., "Analysis of laminated composite shell structures with piezoelectric components." Mechanics of Electromagnetic Solids, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, pp.229-250 (2003).
- Liu, M.L. and To, C.W.S., "Free vibration analysis of laminated composite shell structures using hybrid strain based layerwise finite elements." Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 40, 83-120 (2003).
- To, C.W.S., "Nonlinear random responses of shell structures with spatial uncertainties." Proceedings of Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Sept. 29-Oct. 2, Montreal, Canada, DETC2002/CIE-34472, pp.1-11 (2002).
- To, C.W.S.," On computational stochastic structural dynamics applying finite elements." Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, Vol. 8 (No. 1), pp. 3-40 (2001).
- To, C.W.S. and Liu, M.L., "Geometrically nonlinear analysis of layerwise anisotropic shell structures by hybrid strain based lower order elements." Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 37, pp. 1-34 (2001).
- To, C.W.S. and Liu, M.L., "Large non-stationary random responses of shell structures with geometrical and material nonlinearities." Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 35, pp. 59-77 (2000).
- To, C.W.S. and Wang, B., "Hybrid strain based geometrically nonlinear laminated composite triangular shell finite elements." Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 33, pp. 83-124 (1999).
- To, C.W.S. and Wang, B., "Transient responses of geometrically nonlinear laminated composite shell structures." Finite Elements in Anal. Des., Vol. 31, pp. 117-134 (1998).
- To, C.W.S. and Li, L., "Exact reduction by group theoretic approach in computational nonlinear structural dynamics." Proceedings of Design Engineering Conferences and Computers in Engineering Conference, September 14-17, Sacramento, CA, DETC97/CIE-4447, pp. 1-12 (1997).