- PhD, Materials, Imperial College London, 2011
- M. Eng, Materials, Tsinghua University, 2008
- B. Eng, Materials, Tsinghua University, 2006
- Materials for extreme environments: ODS alloys, high-entropy alloys, high-entropy ceramics, MAX phases, ultra-high temperature ceramics.
- Advanced Manufacturing: laser shock processing, pulsed electric current sintering/welding process, additive manufacturing.
- Corrosion: stress corrosion cracking, high-temperature corrosion
- Irradiation damage: irradiation defects, irradiation-assisted stress corrosion cracking
- Microstructural characterizations: in-situ TEM deformation, irradiation, heating, and electrical experiements
- Corrosion (MATL 473/873): 2020 Spring
- Electron Microscopy of Materials (MATL 471/871): 2019 Spring
- Elements of Materials Science (MATL 260/360): 2018 Fall
- Introduction to Materials for Nuclear Energy Systems (MATL 492/892): 2020 Fall
Bai leads the Advanced Materials and Manufacturing for Extreme Environments Laboratory. His lab aims to develop advanced materials that can withstand extreme environments, such as high temperature, irradiation, and corrosive gas or liquid, in next-generation nuclear energy, petroleum, and aeronautic systems. It also develops novel advanced manufacturing processes for these materials and reveal the fundamental mechanisms in manufacturing processes. His work has appeared in top journals such as Acta Materialia, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, and Journal of American Ceramic Society. He was recognized by Nuclear Regulatory Commission Faculty Development Grant (2018), Nebraska EPSCoR First award (2018), the Richard Brook Prize for Best PhD in Ceramics in the UK (2012), Guastv Eirich Award from the European Centre for Refractories (2012), the Tony Evans Prize for Best Ceramics Thesis (2012), and the Lee Family Scholarship (2008-2011).
Bai received his Ph.D. from Imperial College London, UK (advisor: Prof. Bill Lee), and was a Postdoc at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (advisor: Prof. Ian Robertson).
Recent News of the Advanced Materials and Manufacturing for Extreme Environments Laboratory:
2016.6 Dr. Cui is awarded a NSF grant as a PI for a project "mechanisms of toughening structural ceramics by thermal engineered laser shock peening" with Co-PIs Prof. Yongfeng Lu and Prof. Michael Nastasi.
2016.6 Dr. Cui visits the the Advanced Test Reactor facillity at the Idaho National Laboratory.
2016.5 Dr. Cui is organizing the symposium of "Environmentally Assisted Cracking: Theory and Practice" for TMS 2017.
2015.12 Dr. Cui is awarded an Energy Research Grant from Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research with Co-PI Prof. Yongfeng Lu.
2015.11 Dr. Cui is awarded a Petroleum Research Fund from American Chemical Society.
2015.3.23-27 Dr. Cui visit Argonne National Laboratory on experiments at the IVEM-Tandem facility.
2015.1.5 Fei Wang joins in the group as a PhD student from Tsinghua University.
2014.12.4 Dr. Cui is awarded a Faculty Seed Grant for a twelve-month period.
2014.11.14 Fei Wang is awarded a Spring 2015 Nebraska Engineering Recruitment Fellowship.
2014.10.17 Dr. Cui is selected to participate in the 2014-2015 Research Development Fellows Program.
2014.8.18 The Materials for Extreme Environments (Me2) Lab is established at UNL.
Assistant Professor, MME, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2014.8-present
Research Associate, MSE, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011.12-2014.8
Ziyad M. Smoqi (Master), 2015-2017. Master Thesis: Oxidation of Ti2AlC in High-Temperature Steam Environments.
Ting Lou (Master), 2015-2016. Master Thesis: Microstructure and Properties of Spark Plasma Sintered MoAlB Ceramics. BS: University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Postdoctoral Research Associates
Dr. Xueliang Yan, 2016-2019. PhD: Beijing Institute of Technology.
Dr. Fei Wang, 2019-present. PhD: University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Zachary Bram, 2015, MME, UNL.
Anelisa Petzhold, 2015.2-7, Chemical Engineering, UNL, Brazil Scientific Mobility Program.
D. Alexander Chin, 2015.7-8, University of New York at Geneseo, REU program.
Abigail Heiller, 2015.7-8, Milwaukee School of Engineering, REU program.
Tze Yeen Yap, 2016.9-2017.6, UNL. UCARE program.
High School Students
- Member: Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS); American Ceramic Society (ACerS); American Nuclear Society (ANS), the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE).
- Chair (2019-2020), Vice Chair (2017-2018), Corrosion and Environmental Effects Committee, TMS.
- Technical Committee Member in TMS: Corrosion and Environmental Effects, Nuclear Materials, Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Additive Manufacturing.
- Co-Chair, Programming Committee, Manufacturing Division, ACerS.
- Lead organizer, "Environmentally Assisted Cracking: Theory and Practice" symposium in TMS 2017, 2018, 2019, 2019, and 2020 annual meetings.
- Lead organizer, “Manufacturing and Processing of Advanced Ceramic Materials” symposium, Materials Science & Technology (MS&T) 2020.
- Organizer, “Ultra-High Temperature Ceramics” symposium, International Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC) 2020.
- Organizer, “Materials for Extreme Environments: UHTCs and MAX Phases” symposium, International Conference on Ceramic Materials and Components for Energy and Environmental Applications (CMCEE) 2020.
- Program committee member, “Laser Additive Manufacturing and Laser Peening” symposium, Photonics Asia 2018 and 2019 meetings.
Journal of American Ceramic Society; Journal of Nuclear Materials; Acta Materialia, Scripta Materialia; JOM; Scientific Reports; Ultramicroscopy; Journal of Alloys and Compounds; Ceramics International; Advances in Applied Ceramics; Materials and Design
Nuclear Regulatory Commission Faculty Development Grant, 2018
Nebraska EPSCoR FIRST Award, 2018
Richard Brook Prize for Best PhD in Ceramics in the UK, 2012
Guastv Eirich Award, European Centre for Refractories, 2012
Tony Evans Prize for Best Ceramics Thesis, Imperial College London, 2012
Lee Family Scholarship, Imperial College London, 2008-2011
Outstanding Master’s Thesis Award, Tsinghua University, 2008
Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research, PI, 1/1/2019 to 12/31/2020, $167,600. Co-PI: Yongfeng Lu. Project Title: Novel high‐entropy ceramic materials for extreme environments.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission Faculty Development Grant. Junior Faculty, 7/16/2018 to 7/15/2020, $324,403. PI: Jeffrey Shield. Co-PI: Bai Cui, Michael Nastasi. Project Title: Faculty development program in nuclear engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
NSF-CMMI, Materials Engineering & Processing Program. PI, 9/1/2018 to 8/31/2021, $307,825. Co-PIs: Qin Zhou, Michael Nastasi. Project Title: Understanding the mechanisms of the pulsed electric current process for joining oxide-dispersion-strengthened alloys.
Tethon 3D, PI, 08/01/2018 through 07/31/2019, $50,000. Co-PI: Prahalada Rao. Project Title: A novel DLP 3D printer optimized for ceramics and metals.
Nebraska Corn Board, PI, 07/01/2018 to 6/30/2019, $79,600. Co-PI: Mark Wilkins. Project Title: 3D printing using corn kernel fiber.
ExxonMobil Research and Engineering, PI, 01/23/2017 to 11/30/2017, $15,866.
NSF-CMMI, Materials Engineering & Processing Program, PI, 9/1/2016 to 8/31/2020, $348,336. Co-PIs: Yongfeng Lu, Michael Nastasi. Project Title: Mechanisms of toughening structural ceramics by thermal engineered laser shock peening.
Petroleum Research Fund, American Chemical Society, PI, 9/1/2016 to 8/31/2019, $110,000. Project Title: Controlling stress corrosion cracking of alloys in chloride environments by laser shock peening.
Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research, PI, 1/1/2016 to 4/30/2018, $149,924. Co-PI: Yongfeng Lu. Project Title: Novel irradiation and stress corrosion cracking resistant oxide-dispersion-strengthened alloys.
A list of all publications is in my Google Scholar page.
X Zhang, M Khedmati, Y Kim, H Shin, J Lee, Y Kim, B Cui. Microstructural evolution during spark plasma sintering of FJS-1 lunar soil simulant. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 2020, 103, 899.
X Yan, F Wang, K Hattar, M Nastasi, B Cui. Novel amorphous SiOC dispersion-strengthened austenitic steels. Materialia, 2019, 6, 100345.
F Wang, X Yan, C Zhang, L Deng, Y Lu, M Nastasi, B Cui. Localized plasticity in silicon carbide ceramics induced by laser shock processing. Materialia, 2019, 6, 100265.
X Yan, L Constantin, Y Lu, J Silvain, M Nastasi, B Cui. (Hf0.2Zr0.2Ta0.2Nb0.2Ti0.2)C high-entropy ceramics with low thermal conductivity. Journal of American Ceramic Society, 2018, 101 (10), 4486-4491.
F Wang, C Zhang, X Yan, L Deng, Y Lu, M Nastasi, B Cui. Microstructure-property relation in alumina ceramics during post-annealing process after laser shock processing. Journal of American Ceramics Society, 2018, 101 (11), 4933-4941.
X Yan, F Wang, L Jiang, X Qiu, Y Lu, M Nastasi, Z Zhou, B Cui. Chloride-induced stress corrosion cracking of oxide-dispersion-strengthened austenitic steels. Corrosion, 2017, 74 (4), 424-429.
Q Lu, Q Su, F Wang, C Zhang, Y Lu, M Nastasi, B. Cui. Influence of laser shock peening on irradiation defects in austenitic stainless steels. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2017, 489, 203–210.
F Wang, C Zhang, Y Lu, M Nastasi, B Cui, Laser Shock Processing of Polycrystalline Alumina Ceramics. Journal of American Ceramic Society, 2017, 100 (3), 911-919.
Q Su, B Cui, M Kirk, M Nastasi. In-situ observation of radiation damage in nanostructured amorphous SiOC/crystalline Fe composite. Scripta Materialia, 2016, 113, 79-83.
M McMurtrey, B Cui, IM Robertson, D Farkas, GS Was. Mechanism of dislocation channel-induced irradiation assisted stress corrosion cracking in austenitic stainless steel. Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, 2015, 19, 305-314.
J Kacher, B Cui, IM Robertson. In situ and tomographic characterization of damage and dislocation processes in irradiated metallic alloys by transmission electron microscopy. Journal of Materials Research, 2015, 30(9), 1202-1213.
B Cui, M McMurtrey, GS Was, IM Robertson. Micromechanistic origin of irradiation-assisted stress corrosion cracking. Philosophical Magazine, 2014, 94, 4197-4218.
B Cui, J Kacher, M McMurtrey, GS Was, IM Robertson. Influence of irradiation damage on slip transfer across grain boundaries. Acta Materialia, 2014, 65, 150-160.
B Cui, E Zapata-Solvasa, MJ Reece, C Wang, WE Lee. Microstructure and high-temperature oxidation behaviour of Ti3AlC2/W composites. Journal of American Ceramic Society, 2013, 96, 584-591.
B Cui, R Sa, DD Jayaseelan, F Inam, MJ Reece, WE Lee. Microstructural evolution during high-temperature oxidation of spark plasma sintered Ti2AlN ceramics. Acta Materialia, 2012, 60, 1079-1092.
B Cui, DD Jayaseelan, WE Lee. TEM study of the early stages of Ti2AlC oxidation at 900 oC. Scripta Materialia, 2012, 67, 830-833.
B Cui, DD Jayaseelan, WE Lee. Microstructural evolution during high-temperature oxidation of Ti2AlC ceramics. Acta Materialia, 2011, 59, 4116-4125.
- MSE Seminar, “Mechanisms of Laser Shock Processing of Metal and Ceramic Materials", University of Florida, April 2, 2019, Gainesville, FL, USA.
- "Laser Shock Peening" Symposium, OSA Laser Applications Conference, November 7, 2018, Boston, MA, USA.
- "Advanced Laser Processing and Manufacturing II" Symposium, SPIE/COS Photonics Asia 2018, October 13, 2018, Beijing, China.
- 10th meeting on Recent Developments in the Study of Radiation Effects in Matter, August 6, 2018, Galveston Island, TX, USA.
- 'Deformation in Irradiated Materials' symposium and ‘Plasticity of Materials under Extreme Conditions’ symposium, 2018 International Conference on Plasticity, Damage and Fracture, Jan 3, 2018, San Juan, PR, USA.
- Seminar, "Laser Shock Processing of Metals and Ceramics: Preventing Material Failures by Surface Engineering" , Nebraska Center for Materials and Nanoscience, Dec 6, 2017, Lincoln, NE, USA.
- "Environmentally Accelerated Damage and Failure Mechanics " Symposium, ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 11, 2016, Phoenix, AZ, USA.
- “High Temperature Corrosion of Structural Materials” symposium, MS&T 2016, October 23, 2016, Salt lake city, UT, USA.
- "Nuclear and Irradiated Materials” symposium at Microscopy and Microanalysis 2016 Meeting, July 24, 2016, Columbus, OH, USA.
- UNL student chapter of the American Society for Mechanical Engineers, 16 April 2015, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA.
- Midwest Microscopy and Microanalysis Society Summer Meeting, 6 June 2014, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 18 April 2014, Leuven, Belgium.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 27 March 2014, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA.
- Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 7 November 2013, Urbana, Illinois, USA.
- Gustav Eirich Award Ceremony, 55th International Colloquium on Refractories, 19 September 2012, Aachen, Germany.