Graduate Admission Requirements
- For M.S. and Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics (MEAM):
- A Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related area to MEAM (Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, etc.)
- For Ph.D. in Materials Engineering:
- A Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, or related areas of science, engineering or mathematics.
Ph.D. applicants may apply to enter the Ph.D. program directly after completing a B.S. (preferred) or after completing an M.S. Students with less closely related academic backgrounds may be required to take additional prerequisite course work. All programs require:
- Transcripts of prior studies
- Resume or CV
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose including research interests and objectives
Additional requirements are specified below. Supporting documents may be included for consideration.
Applications are evaluated as they arrive, and full processing of an application requires approximately two months after completion. To begin the application process, complete the online application at https://go.unl.edu/gradapp. Within 24 hours after you submit the application, you will receive an automated email with instructions on how to complete the application process. All documentation will be uploaded online: no hard copies of documents will be accepted.
Students from U.S. Institutions:
- Students from U.S. institutions are expected to have a GPA of at least 3.2/4.0 for B.S. courses and at least a GPA of 3.3/4.0 for any M.S. level courses.
- If the student is from a program that is not ABET accredited, then a GRE score is required.
Students from Foreign Institutions:
Foreign students without degrees from United States institutions are required to show a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (79 Internet-based, 213 Computer based), or IELTS 6.5. Applicants should refer to the Office of Graduate Studies for information about waivers for the English Proficiency requirements, and for information about the temporary acceptance of scores of Duolingo examinations taken between February 3, 2020 and April 15, 2021.
- M.S. and Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics (MEAM):
- A GRE general examination score is required. A minimum GRE Quantitative of 155 (64%, 700), and a minimum GRE Quantitative + Verbal of 305 is expected.
- Ph.D. in Materials Engineering:
- A GRE general examination score is required.
Application Deadlines:Application Deadlines for the M.S. - Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics program and the Ph.D. – Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics program (effective with the Spring 2016 entry term):
- Fall entry: January 15
- Spring entry: September 15
- Summer entry: November 15