Sign up for the Order of the Engineer
MAY 2019 INDUCTION CEREMONY
FRIDAY, MAY 3, 2019
Sheldon Museum of Art
(Scott Campus students: if you are unable to attend this ceremony, contact Carl Nelson to arrange an alternate induction.)
THE ORDER OF THE ENGINEER is for graduating seniors and graduate students from an ABET-accredited engineering program. Construction management students are not eligible to join.
The Order of the Engineer is an association of engineers dedicated to the teaching, administration, or practice of their profession. To be initiated, you adhere to a professional creed and accept a stainless steel ring to be worn on the working hand. The obligation is voluntary and for life.
The Order was started in 1970 by members of the Ohio Society of Professional Engineers and was similar to the international engineering organization started in Canada. The Charter for the Nebraska link, as it is called, was granted in 1976. The Order of the Engineer strives to:
• Develop a spirit of pride and responsibility in the engineering profession
• Strengthen the interface between training for and the practice of engineering
• Present the public with a visible symbol identifying the engineer
- A one-time initiation fee for the Order of the Engineer is $20. Payment will be accepted anytime prior to or at the ceremony: cash or check only.
- As part of the membership, you will receive a ring to wear. Include your ring size on the registration form if known (the small finger of your working hand). The sizing can also be completed prior to the initiation: go to the Engineering Student Services office in Nebraska Hall (Engineering Library) - front desk, or see Dr. Nelson.