- Ph.D. (Civil Engineering - Transportation), North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1999
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Transportation), Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1995
- Bachelor of Science (with honors) in Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan, 1988
Dr. Aemal Khattak received the UNL College of Engineering Faculty Service Award, 2016.
Dr. Aemal Khattak received the UNL University-Wide Distinguished Teaching Award, 2015.
Dr. Aemal Khattak is the Chair of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Highway/Rail Grade Crossings (AHB60). This committee is concerned with the safety and other affected characteristics (including economic considerations, traffic flow and delay, and countermeasures) of both highway and rail traffic at points where they intersect at grade, including the proximate surrounding environment and also including rail transit facilities.
- Transportation Safety
- Transportation Infrastructure Planning
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- CIVE 361 - Highway Engineering
- CIVE 461/861 - Urban Transportation Planning
- CIVE 498/898 - Special Topics in Civil Engineering
- CIVE 864 - Analysis and Estimation of Travel Demand
- CIVE 963 - Highway Safety Data Analysis
- CIVE 898 - Special Topics, Highway Safety Manual Applications
- View the Undergraduate Course Catalog
- View the Graduate Course Catalog
Iranitalab, Amirfarrokh and Aemal J. Khattak. Comparison of four statistical and machine learning methods for crash severity prediction. Paper accepted for publication in Accident Analysis and Prevention, August 2017 (AAP-D-17-00214R2).
Zhao, Shanshan and Aemal J. Khattak. Injury severity in crashes reported in proximity of rail crossings—the role of driver inattention. Paper accepted for publication in the Journal of Transportation Safety and Security, April 2017 (UTSS-2016-0178.R2).
Kang, Yashu and Aemal J. Khattak. A cluster based approach to analyze crash injury severity at highway-rail grade crossings. Paper accepted for publication in the Transportation Research Records, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, February 2017 (paper 17-06202).
Naik, Bhaven, Li-Wei Tung, Shanshan Zhao and Aemal J. Khattak. Weather impacts on single-vehicle truck crash injury severity. Journal of Safety Research, 58, September 2016 (P 57-65).
Lee, Myungwoo and Aemal J. Khattak. Application of Light Detection and Ranging technology to assess safe passage of low-ground-clearance vehicles at highway-rail grade crossings. Transportation Research Record 2545, 2016 (p 131-138).
Zhao, Shanshan, Aemal J. Khattak, and Eric C. Thompson. Safety and economic assessment of converting two-way stop-controlled intersections to roundabouts on high speed rural highways. Journal of Transportation Research Forum, 54(1), 2015 (p 131-144).
Tung, Li-Wei and Aemal J. Khattak. Distracted motor vehicle driving at highway-rail grade crossings. Transportation Research Record 2476, 2015 (p 77-84).
Gyawali, Sunil, Anuj Sharma, Aemal J. Khattak, and Edward Smaglik. Use of decision assistance curves in advanced warrant analysis for indirect left turn intersections. Transportation Research Record 2486, 2015 (p 54-63).
Zhao, Shanshan and Aemal J. Khattak. Motor vehicle drivers' injuries in train–motor vehicle crashes. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 74, January 2015 (p 162-168).
Khattak, Aemal J. Investigation of train warning times and gate violations. Transportation Research Record 2458, 2014 (p 104-109).