- Ph.D. (Civil Engineering - Transportation), North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1999
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Transportation), Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1995
- Bachelor of Science (with honors) in Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan, 1988
Dr. Aemal Khattak selected as a recipient of the UNL College of Engineering Distinguished Teaching Award, 2015.
Dr. Aemal Khattak is the in-coming Chair (effective April 2015) of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Highway-Rail Grade Crossings (AHB60). This committee is concerned with the safety and other affected characteristics (including economic considerations, traffic flow and delay, and countermeasures) of both highway and rail traffic at points where they intersect at grade, including the proximate surrounding environment and also including rail transit facilities.
Dr. Aemal Khattak was appointed as the Area Editor for the Journal of Transportation Safety and Security (JTSS) by the Journal’s Editor-in-Chief, Dr. Stephen Richards. The Area Editor serves as the main contact point for authors when they submit manuscripts for publication in a particular area and plays a very visible role in the editorial process of peer-reviewed journal publications. JTSS is an initiative of the Southeastern Transportation Center, the University of Tennessee, Beijing Jiaotong University, and publishers Taylor and Francis LLC.
- At-grade highway-rail crossings
- Transportation infrastructure planning and Safety
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- CIVE 361 - Highway Engineering
- CIVE 461/861 - Urban Transportation Planning
- CIVE 498/898 - Special Topics in Civil Engineering
- CIVE 864 - Analysis and Estimation of Travel Demand
- CIVE 963 - Highway Safety Data Analysis
- CIVE 898 - Special Topics, Highway Safety Manual Applications
Zhao, Shanshan and Aemal J. Khattak. Motor vehicle drivers' injuries in train–motor vehicle crashes. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 74, January 2015 (162-168).
Khattak, Aemal J. Investigation of train warning times and gate violations. Transportation Research Record 2458, 2014 (p 104-109).
Khattak, Aemal J. Gate violations by truck drivers at highway-rail grade crossings. Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 52(1), 2013 (p 117-128).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Zheng Luo. Pedestrian and bicyclist violations at highway-rail grade crossings. Transportation Research Record 2250, 2011 (p 76-82).Khattak, Aemal J. A comparison of driver behavior at highway-railroad crossings in two cities. Transportation Research Record 2122, 2009 (p 72-77).
McKnight, Gregory A., Aemal J. Khattak, and Ram Bishu. Driver characteristics associated with correct roundabout negotiation. Transportation Research Record 2078, 2008 (p 96-99).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Gregory McKnight. Gate rushing at highway-railroad grade crossings: Drivers' response to a centerline barrier. Transportation Research Record 2056, 2008 (p 104-109).
Khattak, Aemal J. Reducing undesirable motor vehicle driver actions at railroad-highway grade crossings. Transportation Research Record 2030, 2007 (p 54-58).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Huda Shamayleh. Highway safety assessment through geographic information system-based data visualization. ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 19(4), October 2005 (p 407-411).
Khattak, Aemal J. Human fatalities in animal-related highway crashes. Transportation Research Record 1840, 2003 (p 158-166).
Khattak, Aemal J., Shauna L. Hallmark, and Reginald R. Souleyrette. Application of light detection and ranging technology to highway safety. Transportation Research Record 1836, 2003 (p 7-15).