- Ph.D. (Civil Engineering - Transportation), North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1999
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Transportation), Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1995
- Bachelor of Science (with honors) in Civil Engineering, N-W.F.P. University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan, 1988
Dr. Aemal Khattak was appointed as the Area Editor for the Journal of Transportation Safety and Security (JTSS) by the Journal’s Editor-in-Chief, Dr. Stephen Richards. The Area Editor serves as the main contact point for authors when they submit manuscripts for publication in a particular area and plays a very visible role in the editorial process of peer-reviewed journal publications. JTSS is an initiative of the Southeastern Transportation Center, the University of Tennessee, Beijing Jiaotong University, and publishers Taylor and Francis LLC.
- Transportation infrastructure
- Planning and Safety
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- CIVE 361 - Highway Engineering
- CIVE 461/861 - Urban Transportation Planning
- CIVE 498/898 - Special Topics in Civil Engineering
- CIVE 864 - Analysis and Estimation of Travel Demand
- CIVE 963 - Highway Safety Data Analysis
- CIVE 898 - Special Topics, Highway Safety Manual Applications
Khattak, Aemal J. Investigation of train warning times and gate violations. Paper accepted for publication in the Transportation Research Records, March 2014 (TRB 14-3318).
Khattak, Aemal J. Gate violations by truck drivers at highway-rail grade crossings. Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 52(1), 2013 (p 117-128).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Zheng Luo. Pedestrian and bicyclist violations at highway-rail grade crossings. Transportation Research Record 2250, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2011 (p 76-82).Khattak, Aemal J. A comparison of driver behavior at highway-railroad crossings in two cities. Transportation Research Record 2122, Washington D.C., 2009 (p 72-77).
McKnight, Gregory A., Aemal J. Khattak, and Ram Bishu. Driver characteristics associated with correct roundabout negotiation. Transportation Research Record 2078, 2008 (p 96-99).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Gregory McKnight. Gate rushing at highway-railroad grade crossings: Drivers' response to a centerline barrier. Transportation Research Record 2056, 2008 (p 104-109).
Khattak, Aemal J. Reducing undesirable motor vehicle driver actions at railroad-highway grade crossings. Transportation Research Record 2030, 2007 (p 54-58).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Huda Shamayleh. Highway safety assessment through geographic information system-based data visualization. ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 19(4), October 2005 (p 407-411).
Khattak, Aemal J. Human fatalities in animal-related highway crashes. Transportation Research Record 1840, 2003 (p 158-166).
Khattak, Aemal J., Shauna L. Hallmark, and Reginald R. Souleyrette. Application of light detection and ranging technology to highway safety. Transportation Research Record 1836, 2003 (p 7-15).