- Doctor of Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, 1992
- M.A.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, 1988
- Honours B.A.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, 1987
- Multimodal transportation systems analysis
- Transportation planning and operations
- Dynamic network modeling and optimization
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
Honors and Awards
- Zachry Award for Execllence in Teaching, 1997
- Dick and Joyce Birdwell Endowed Teaching Award, 1998-1999
- Texas Transportation Trinity Researcher Award, 2002
- UNL College of Engineering Research and Creative Activity Award, Professor, 2007
- UNL College of Engineering Faculty Service Award, 2008
Spiegelman, C. H., E. S. Park, and L. R. Rilett. Transportation Statistics and Microsimulation. Chapman and Hall / CRC Press, 2011. ISBN: 978-1-4398-0023-2
Appiah, J., L. R. Rilett, B. Naik, and R. Wojtal, Driver Response to an Actuated Advance Warning System, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Volume 139, Issue 5, (May 2013): 433-440.
Zhao, M., A. Sharma, D. Bernt, J. Meyer, B. Dickey, S. Rosenbaugh, E. Jones, and L.R. Rilett, “Economic Analysis of Using Renewable Wind Power System at a Signalized Intersection”, Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Volume 17, Issue 3 (2013): 210-220.
Appiah, J., L. R. Rilett, B. Naik, and Scott Sorensen, Calibration of Microsimulation Models for Advance Warning Systems, Journal of Modern Traffic and Transportation Engineering Research (MTTER), Volume 2, Number 1, (January 2013): 41-47.
Lahiri, S.N., C. Spiegelman, J. Appiah, and Rilett, L., Gap bootstrap methods for Massive Data Sets with an Application to the OD Matrix Estimation Problem in Transportation
Engineering, Annals of Applied Statistics, Volume 6, Number 4 (2012): 552-1587.
Appiah, J, B. Naik, R. Wojtal and L.R. Rilett, “Safety Effectiveness of Actuated Advance Warning Systems”, Transportation Research Record, no. 2250 (2011): 195-204.
Cho, Hanseon, L. R. Rilett, and D. Park. “Analysis of Performance of Transitional Preemption Strategy for Traffic Signal near At-Grade Railway Grade Crossing.” Korean Journal of Civil Engineering, Volume 15, Number 3, (March 2011): 569-579.