- B.E., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 2001
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2003
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2008
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Fate and transport of emerging contaminants (e.g., hormones, antibiotics, and antibiotic resistance genes) in the environment
- Environmental biotechnology to remove contaminants (e.g., estrogens, perchlorate, and nitrate) from water
- Microbial transformation of soil organic carbon in heterogeneous landscapes.
In the News
Mar 10, 2015 - Xu Li research video on NSF Science360
Jan 30, 2014 - NSF award aids Li's antibiotic resistance research
Jul 13, 2012 - UNL team to promote green infrastructure in Omaha
- Du, Z., R. Nandakumar, K. Nickerson, and X. Li. 2015. Proteomic adaptations to starvation prepare Escherichia coli for disinfection tolerance. Water Research, 69: 110-119.
- Joy, S., X. Li, D. Snow, J. Gilley, B. Woodbury, and S. Bartelt-Hunt. 2014. Fate of antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance genes in simulated swine manure storage. Science of the Total Environment, 481: 69-74.
- Zhang, Y., R. Nandakumar, S. Bartelt-Hunt, D. Snow, L. Hodges, and X. Li. 2014. Quantitative proteomic analysis of the Salmonella-lettuce interaction. Microbial Biotechnology, 7(6): 630-637.
- Joy, S., S. Bartelt-Hunt, J. Gilley, D. Snow, D. Parker, B. Woodbury, D. Marx, and X. Li. 2013. Fate and transport of antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance genes in soil and runoff following land application of swine manure slurry. Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (21): 12081-12088.
- Zhang, Y., D. Snow, D. Parker, Z. Zhou, and X. Li. 2013. Intracellular and extracellular antimicrobial resistance genes in livestock waste management structures. Environmental Science and Technology, 47(18): 10206-10213.
- Zhang, Y., C. Zhang, D. Snow, D. Parker, Z. Zhou and X. Li. 2013. Occurrence of antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance genes in beef cattle storage ponds and swine treatment lagoons. Science of the Total Environment, 463-464: 631-638.
- Li, Z., N. Madayiputhiya, R. Nandakumar, and X. Li. 2012. Proteomic analysis of 17β-estradiol degradation by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia. Environmental Science and Technology, 46: 5947-5955.
- Li, Z., B. Dvorak, and X. Li. 2012. Removing 17β-estradiol using a biologically active reactor (BAC) reactor modified from a granular activated carbon (GAC) reactor. Water Research, 46: 2828-2836.
- Li, X., W. Yuen, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2012. Backwash intensity and frequency impact the microbial community structure and function in a fixed-bed biofilm reactor. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 96: 815-827.
- Shimada, T., X. Li, J. Zilles, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2011. Effects of the antimicrobial tylosin on the microbial community of an anaerobic sequencing batch reactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 108: 296-305.
- Li, X., G. Upadhyaya, W. Yuen, J. Brown, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2010. Changes in microbial community structure and function of drinking water treatment bioreactors upon phosphorus addition.Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 76: 7473-7481.
- Li, X., E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2008. Quantitative rRNA-targeted solution-based hybridization assay using peptide nucleic acid molecular beacon. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 74: 7297-7305.
- Choi, Y-C., X. Li, L. Raskin, and E. Morgenroth. 2008. Chemisorption of oxygen onto activated carbon can enhance the stability of biological perchlorate reduction in fixed bed biofilm reactors. Water Research, 42: 3425-3434.
- Choi, Y-C., X. Li, L. Raskin, and E. Morgenroth. 2007. Effect of backwashing on perchlorate removal in fixed bed biofilm reactors. Water Research, 41: 1949-1959.
- Li, X. and B. Logan. 2004. Analysis of bacterial adhesion using a gradient force analysis and colloid probe atomic force microscopy. Langmuir, 20: 8817-8822.
- Velegol, S., S. Pardi, X. Li, D. Velegol, and B. Logan. 2003. AFM imaging artifacts due to bacterial cell height and AFM tip geometry. Langmuir, 19: 851-857.