- Ph.D. Architectural Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, USA 2009
- M. S. Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, USA 2005
- M.Eng. & B.Eng. (Hons) Building Services Engineering (w/ distinction and 1st Class Honours) The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong 2002
Other Teaching Experience:
- The Pennsylvania State University
2008; Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Department of Architectural Engineering
- Acron International Technology Ltd.
- Hongkong Land Properties Management Co.
- Hong Kong Electrical and Mechanical Services Department
Honors and Awards
- Alumni Association Dissertation Award (The Pennsylvania State University) 2009
- ASHRAE Grant-in-Aid (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) 2007-2008
- Kissinger Fellowship (The Pennsylvania State University) 2005-2006
- Outstanding Student (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2001-2002
- Ryoden Scholarship (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2000-2001
- Kai Chong Tong Scholarship (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 1999-2000
- Chinese Speech competition - Merit (Hong Kong Speech Festival) 1997
- Service and Responsibility Awards (Holy Family Canossian College) 1996-1997
- 2005 - Present Reviewers for journal - Building and Environment
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2009) "Estimating the effects of ambient conditions on the performance of UVGI air cleaners", Building and Environment, Vol. 44 (7), 1362-1370
- Bahnfleth, W., J. Lau, P. Kremer, D. Clark, J. Freihaut. September 2008. (Draft). Emerging Filter & UV Devices for Energy Efficient IAQ in Commercial Buildings-Penn State Laboratory Upgrades and Testing Activities Task 05-02.3. Report to National Center for Energy Management and Building Technologies. 123 pages.
- W. Bahnfleth, J. Lau, and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Wind Chill Effects on Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps" ASHRAE - IAQ Applications, Vol. 9 (4).
- S. Martin, C. Dunn, J. Freihaut, W.Bahnfleth, J. Lau, A. Nedeljkovic-Davidovic, (2008) "Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Current Best Practices" ASHRAE Journal, 50(8), 28-36
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Investigation of surface temperature distributions of UVC lamps under variable flow conditions using infrared camera measurements" Proceedings of Indoor Air 2008, Aug, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, R. Mistrick, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Modeling and measurement of the irradiance distribution in an in-duct UVGI Device" Proceedings of Indoor Air 2008, Aug, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth and J. Freihaut, (2007) "Predicted performance of in-duct UVGI systems under variable operating conditions," Proceedings of IAQ 2007, Oct, Baltimore, MD, USA
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth and J. Freihaut, (2007) "Estimating the effects of ambient conditions and aging on the performance of UVGI air cleaners," Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality, Ventilation and Energy Conservation in Buildings, Oct, Sendai, Japan
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2007) "Floor-supply displacement ventilation for workshops," Building and Environment, 42(4), 1718-1730.
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2006) "Energy analysis for workshops with floor-supply displacement ventilation under U.S. climates," Energy and Buildings, 38(10), 1212-1219.
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2005) "Impact of air supply and exhaust conditions on room air distribution with floor-supply displacement ventilation," Proceedings of Indoor Air 2005, Vol. I(2), 1391-1396, Beijing, China.
- J. Lau, J.L. Niu, (2003) "Measurement and CFD simulation of temperature stratification of an atrium with floor level air supply method", Indoor + Built Environment. Vol. 12, 265-280