- Ph.D. Architectural Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, USA 2009
- M. S. Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, USA 2005
- M.Eng. & B.Eng. (Hons) Building Services Engineering (w/ distinction and 1st Class Honours) The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong 2002
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Building sustainability
- Indoor air quality; occupant’s comfort and performance in indoor environments
- Energy efficiency of ventilation systems
- Energy simulations
- Air flow modeling
- Renewable energy
- Air cleaning technology
- Infection controls
- School and hospital ventilation
- AE 8116 – “Indoor Air Quality Engineering”
- AE 9180 – “Indoor Environmental and Energy Modelling”
- AE 8010/8020 --“Graduate Design Project”
- AE 3100 – “HVAC fundamentals”
- MENG 2000 – “Thermodynamics”
Other Teaching Experience:
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Department of Architectural Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University (2008)
- Acron International Technology Ltd. , Assistant Engineer (summer, 2002)
- Hongkong Land Properties Management Co., Summer Trainee (summer, 2001)
- Hong Kong Electrical and Mechanical Services Department, Summer Trainee (summer 2000)
Honors and Awards
- UNL-College of Engineering – "Henry Y Kleinkauf Family Distinguished New Faculty Teaching Award", 2013
- Architectural Engineering 2011 Mentoring Award (University of Nebraska), 2011
- Alumni Association Dissertation Award (The Pennsylvania State University) 2009
- ASHRAE Grant-in-Aid (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) 2007-2008
- Kissinger Fellowship (The Pennsylvania State University) 2005-2006
- Outstanding Student (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2001-2002
- Ryoden Scholarship (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2000-2001
- Kai Chong Tong Scholarship (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 1999-2000
- Chinese Speech competition - Merit (Hong Kong Speech Festival) 1997
- Service and Responsibility Awards (Holy Family Canossian College) 1996-1997
- 2005 - Present Reviewers for journal - Building and Environment
* indicates student lead author
- * C.Su, J. Lau, and S.G. Gibbs, (2015) “Evaluation of Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation in Reducing the Airborne Cultural Bacteria Concentrations in an Elementary School in the Midwestern United States” Journal of Environmental Health, (accepted and scheduled for May 2015)
- * X. Lin and J. Lau, (2014) “Demand Controlled Ventilation for multiple zone HVAC systems: part 2 – CO2-based dynamic reset with zone primary airflow minimum setpoint reset (1547-RP)” HVAC&R, (submitted)
- * X. Lin and J. Lau, (2014) “Demand Controlled Ventilation for multiple zone HVAC systems: part 1 – CO2-based dynamic reset (1547-RP)” HVAC&R, (submitted)
- * C. Su, J. Lau, and S.G. Gibbs (2014) “Student Absenteeism and the Comparisons of Two Sampling procedures for Culturable Bioaerosol Measurement in Classrooms with and without Upper-room Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Devices.” Indoor and Built Environment (submitted)
- * A. Behfar, Z. Shen, J. Lau, and Y. Yu (2013) “Heat and mass transfer enhancement potential for absorption equipment via a literature review (1547-RP)” HVAC&R, (accepted)
- * C. Su, J. Lau, and S.G. Gibbs (2013) “Evaluation of Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation in Reducing the Airborne Cultural Bacteria Concentrations in an Elementary School in the Midwestern United States” Journal of Environmental Health, (accepted)
- * S. Deng, J. Lau, and J-W. Jeong (2014) “Do all System Configurations Provide Same Benefits of Dedicated Outdoor Air Systems (DOAS)?” ASHRAE Journal, (accepted)
- * X. Lin, J. Lau, and G. Yuill, (2014) “Evaluation on the validity of the assumptions underlying CO2-based demand-controlled ventilation (1547-RP)” ASHRAE Transactions, (accepted)
- * B. Zhang, Y. Li, J. Lau, and M. Liu, (2014) “Demand Control Ventilation: Influence of Terminal Box Minimum Airflow Setting on System Energy Consumption” Energy and Building, (accepted)
- * Y. Li, M. Liu, J. Lau, and B. Zhang, (2014) “Experimental Study on Electrical Signatures of Common faults for Packaged DX rooftop units” Energy and Building, (accepted)
- * H. Yang, Y. Shi, J. Lau, and T. Zhang, (2013) “An Optimal Control Strategy Based on Virtual Flow Measuring for Variable Flow Primary Pumping” HVAC&R, (accepted and available ONLINE - http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10789669.2013.874245.)
- J. Lau, (2013). “CO2-Based Demand Controlled Ventilation for Variable Air Volume Systems Serving Multiple Zones”. Indoor and Built Environment, Vol 22(5), 721-723.
- J. Lau, and D. Stanke, (2012) “DCV for Multizone VAV” ASHRAE Journal - IAQ Applications, Vol 54 (8)
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, R. Mistrick and D. Kompare, (2012) “Ultraviolet irradiance measurement and modeling for evaluating the effectiveness of in-duct ultraviolet germicidal irradiation devices” HVAC&R Research, Vol 18(4), 626-642
- *C. Luke and J Lau, (2010) “Case Studies on Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Comfort in Two Portable Classrooms in Winter” Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality, Ventilation and Energy Conservation in Buildings, Syracuse, New York, USA
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2009) "Estimating the effects of ambient conditions on the performance of UVGI air cleaners", Building and Environment, Vol. 44 (7), 1362-1370
- Bahnfleth, W., J. Lau, P. Kremer, D. Clark, J. Freihaut. September 2008. (Draft). Emerging Filter & UV Devices for Energy Efficient IAQ in Commercial Buildings-Penn State Laboratory Upgrades and Testing Activities Task 05-02.3. Report to National Center for Energy Management and Building Technologies. 123 pages.
- W. Bahnfleth, J. Lau, and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Wind Chill Effects on Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps" ASHRAE - IAQ Applications, Vol. 9 (4).
- S. Martin, C. Dunn, J. Freihaut, W.Bahnfleth, J. Lau, A. Nedeljkovic-Davidovic, (2008) "Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Current Best Practices" ASHRAE Journal, 50(8), 28-36
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Investigation of surface temperature distributions of UVC lamps under variable flow conditions using infrared camera measurements" Proceedings of Indoor Air 2008, Aug, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, R. Mistrick, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Modeling and measurement of the irradiance distribution in an in-duct UVGI Device" Proceedings of Indoor Air 2008, Aug, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth and J. Freihaut, (2007) "Predicted performance of in-duct UVGI systems under variable operating conditions," Proceedings of IAQ 2007, Oct, Baltimore, MD, USA
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth and J. Freihaut, (2007) "Estimating the effects of ambient conditions and aging on the performance of UVGI air cleaners," Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality, Ventilation and Energy Conservation in Buildings, Oct, Sendai, Japan
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2007) "Floor-supply displacement ventilation for workshops," Building and Environment, 42(4), 1718-1730.
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2006) "Energy analysis for workshops with floor-supply displacement ventilation under U.S. climates," Energy and Buildings, 38(10), 1212-1219.
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2005) "Impact of air supply and exhaust conditions on room air distribution with floor-supply displacement ventilation," Proceedings of Indoor Air 2005, Vol. I(2), 1391-1396, Beijing, China.
- J. Lau, J.L. Niu, (2003) "Measurement and CFD simulation of temperature stratification of an atrium with floor level air supply method", Indoor + Built Environment. Vol. 12, 265-280