- Princeton University, Princeton, N.J., Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (1988-1993)
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y., M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (1986-1988)
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, M.E. in Engineering Mechanics (1982-1985)
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, B.E. in Engineering Mechanics (1977-1982)
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Theory of piezoelectricity
- Theories of plates, shells and rods
- Waves and vibration
- Modeling of electromechanical materials and devices
- 12/95-8/97: Engineer, Motorola, Inc.
- 9/94-11/95: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- 9/93-8/94: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Missouri-Rolla
- J. Zhu, W. Q. Chen and J. S. Yang, Propagation of thickness-twist waves in elastic plates with periodically varying thickness and phononic crystals, Ultrasonics, 54, 1899-903, 2014.
- J. Zhu, J. S. Yang and C. Q. Ru, Buckling of an elastic plate due to surface-attached thin films with intrinsic stresses, Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 52, 89-95, 2014.
- B. Wu, W. Q. Chen and J. S. Yang, One-dimensional equations for coupled extensional, radial, and axial-shear motions of circular piezoelectric ceramic rods with axial poling, Arch. Appl. Mech., 84, 1677-1689, 2014.
- B. Wu, W. Q. Chen and J. S. Yang, Two-dimensional equations for high-frequency extensional vibrations of piezoelectric ceramic plates with thickness poling, Arch. Appl. Mech., 84, 1917-1935, 2014.
- J. Cui, J. K. Du, J. Wang and J. S. Yang, A piezoelectric gyroscope based on thickness-shear modes of an AlN bimorph with inclined C axes, Philosophical Magazine Letters, 94, 447-454, 2014.
- D. J. Huang and J. S. Yang, On the propagation of long thickness-stretch waves in piezoelectric plates, Ultrasonics, 54, 1277-1280, 2014.
- J. Cui, J. K. Du, J. Wang and J. S. Yang, Frequency and amplitude modulations in crystal resonators due to transient thermal effects, J. Appl. Phys., 115, 054504-1, 2014.
- J. J. Shi, C. Y. Fan, M. H. Zhao and J. S. Yang, Variational formulation of the Stevens-Tiersten equation and application in the analysis of rectangular trapped-energy quartz resonators, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 135, 175-181, 2014.
- J. S. Yang and H. F. Tiersten, Effects of free edge on the vibration characteristics of a contoured, beveled quartz resonator, Int. J. Appl. Electromagnetics and Mechanics, 46, 649–661, 2014.
- J. S. Yang, Vibration of Piezoelectric Crystal Plates, World Scientific, 2013.
- J. S. Yang, Antiplane Motions of Piezoceramics and Acoustic Wave Devices, World Scientific, 2010.
- J. S. Yang, Analysis of Piezoelectric Devices, World Scientific, 2006.
- J. S. Yang, The Mechanics of Piezoelectric Structures, World Scientific, 2006.
- J. S. Yang, An Introduction to the Theory of Piezoelectricity, Springer, 2005.