Joseph Turner, PhD, FASA
- Ph.D. in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- MEgnr in Engineering Science and Mechanics, Iowa State University
- B.S. in Engineering Science and Mechanics, Iowa State University
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Experimental ultrasonics: nondestructive evaluation, materials characterization
- Elastic wave propagation: complex media, anisotropic media, scattering, radiative transfer, diffusion
- Linear and nonlinear vibrations: nanoscale materials characterization, dynamics of MEMS
- Structural acoustics: complex structures, structural localization, plates, shells
Honors and Awards
Wilhelm Bessel Forschungspreis, Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung (2013)
- E. Forouzesh, A. K. Goel, and J. A. Turner, “Quantifying plant cell wall failure in vivo using nanoindentation,” MRS Communications (to appear, 2014).
H. Du, C. Lonsdale, J. Oliver, B. M. Wilson, and J. A. Turner “Measurement of quench depth in railroad wheels by diffuse ultrasonic backscatter,” J. Nondestructive Evaluation 33, 104-110 (2014).
H. Du and J. A. Turner, “Ultrasonic attenuation in pearlitic steel,” Ultrasonics 54 882-887 (2014).
P. Hu, C. M. Kube, L. W. Koester, and J. A. Turner, “Mode-converted diffuse ultrasonic backscatter,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134, 982-990 (2013).
A. Subramanian, J. A. Turner, G. Budiraja, S. G. Thakurta, N. P. Whitney, S. S. Nudurupati, “Ultrasonic bioreactor as a platform for studying cellular response to ultrasound,” Tissue Engineering C 19, 244-255 (2013).
E. Forouzesh, A. Goel, S. A. Mackenzie, and J. A. Turner, “In vivo extraction of Arabidopsis cell turgor pressure using nanoindentation in conjunction with finite element modeling,” the Plant Journal 73, 509-520, doi: 10.1111/tpj.12042 (2013).
C. M. Kube, H. Du, G. Ghoshal, and J. A. Turner, “Stress-dependent changes in diffuse ultrasonic backscatter coefficient in steel: Experimental results,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 132, EL43-48 (2012).
B. J. Polly, P. A. Yuya, M. P. Akhter, R. R. Recker, and J. A. Turner, “Intrinsic material properties of trabecular bone by nanoindentation testing of biopsies taken from healthy women before and after menopause,” Calcified Tissue International 90, 286-293 (2012).
C. M. Hayot, E. Forouzesh, A. Goel, Z. Avramova and J. A. Turner, “Viscoelastic parameters of cell walls of single living plant cells determined by dynamic nanoindentation,” J. Exp. Botany 16, 2525-2540 (2012).
J. P. Killgore, D. G. Yablon, A. H. Tsou, A. Gannepalli, P. A. Yuya, J. A. Turner, R. Proksch, and D. C. Hurley, “Viscoelastic property mapping with contact resonance force microscopy,” Langmuir 27, 13983-13987 (2011).