Professor - Graduate Chair Mechanical Engineering & Applied Mechanics - U.S. Director of Advanced Mechanics and Materials Engineering International Laboratory (AMME-International)
- Ph.D. (1988): University of Michigan, Applied Mechanics, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- M.S.E. (1984): University of Michigan, Applied Mechanics, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.S. (1982): Iowa State University of Science and Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Ames, Iowa
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Theoretical, computational, and experimental studies to characterize large deformation thermo-mechanical response of materials, in particular polymers.
- Simulation of the effects of crystallization on the mechanical behavior of polymers under large deformations.
- The study of the effects of crystallization on failure and the redistribution of stress in polymer matrix composites. Simulation of the manufacturing of thin film extruded polymers.
- Experimental investigation and theoretical modeling of large plastic forming and shape recovery in amorphous polymers.
3D printing with stereo lithography: Controlling property variation and optimizing property distribution.
- MECH 223 - Engineering Statics
- MECH 325 - Mechanics of Elastic Bodies
- MECH 373 - Engineering Dynamics
- MECH 480/880 - Numerical Methods in Engineering
- MECH 449/849 - Advanced Dynamics
- MECH 451 - Introduction to Finite Element Analysis
- MECH 910 - Continuum Mechanics
- MECH 918 - Fundamentals of Finite Elements
- MECH 939 - Viscoelasticity
- MECH 942 - Theory of Plasticity
- Lili Zhang, Ph.D., "Propogation of thermo-mechanical waves in deforming nonlinear viscoelastic bodies," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, August, 2013.
- Lena Butterfield (with Li Tan), M.S., "Developing and characterizing a rapid prototyping stereo-lithography machine to produce interpenetrating polymer network systems," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, August, 2013.
- Emilie Bobo, M.S., "Development of a controllable polymer system using interpenetrating networks," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, August, 2013.
- Jonathan M. Hein, M.S., "Ultrasonic and stereo-optical characterization techniques for applications in mechanical testing," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, December, 2011.
- Ke Yu, M.S., "Generic strategies to implement material grading in finite element methods for isotropic and anisotropic materials," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, December, 2011.
- Charles Landais, M.S., "Ultrasonic methods for the characterization of complex materials and material systems: Polymers, structured polymers, soft tissue and bone," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, May, 2011.
- Shawn E. Meagher, M.S., "Anomalous loss of toughness of work toughened polycarbonate," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, December, 201o.
- Quentin Fichot, "Characterization, modeling, and consequences of the development during plastic flow of large anisotropy in the wave speeds," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, December, 201o.
- Ashwani Kumar Goel, Ph.D., "Large deformation thermodynamically consistent constitutive model for glassy polymers," University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, December, 2009.
- Pierre Delabarre (with Jean-Marc Saiter), Master M2, Materials Engineering (CEMPI), "The Characterization of polycarbonate by DMA and other mechanical testing," University of Rouen, Rouen, France, September, 2004.
- Kyle Wayne Strabala, "The Effects of Combined Compression and Aging on the Properties of Glassy Polycarbonate," MS, Engineering Mechanics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, August, 2009.
- Kyle Wayne Strabala, "The Effects of Combined Compression and Aging on the Properties of Glassy Polycarbonate," MS, Materials Engineering, University of Rouen, Rouen, France, August, 2009.
- Cline Hayot, "Viscoelastic properties of the cell walls of Arabidopsis thaliana using nanoindentation," MS, Engineering Mechanics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, August, 2009.
- Cline Hayot, "Viscoelastic properties of the cell walls of Arabidopsis thaliana using nanoindentation," MS, Materials Engineering, University of Rouen, Rouen, France, August, 2009.
- Ruojuan Ma, Ph.D., now with Visteon. Thesis: "A study of the influence of uniform crystallization on the mechanical response of polymers and polymer-matrix composites"
- Juliet Dauphin, "Crystallization studies in PET"-University of Rouen, France.
- Philippe Dos Santos Claro, "Crystallization in PET during ransient thermal loading" - University of Rouen, France.
- L. Zhang, J. Jasa, G. Gozonas, A. Jerusalem, M. Negahban, "Extracting continuum-like deformation and stress from molecular dynamics simulations," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 283, 2015, pages 1010-1031.
- G. Gao, Z. Li, M. Negahban, "Dynamic fracture analsysis of polycarbonate by optical methods of causitcs," Proceedia Materials Science, vol. 3, 2014, pages 165-176.
- K. Strabala, S. Meagher, C. Landais, L. Delbreilh, M. Negahban, J.M.-Saiter, J. Turner, A. Ingram, R. Golovchak, "Anisotropic loss of toughness with physical aging of work toughened polycarbonate," Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 54, 2014, pages 794-804.
- J.F. Cepeda, C.L. Weller, M. Negahban, J. Subbia, H. Thippareddi, ``Heat and Mass Transfer Modeling for Microbial Food Safety Applications in the Meat Industry: A Review,'' Food Engineering Reviews, vol. 5, 2013, pages 57-76.
- L. Zhang, M. Negahban, ``Propagation of infinitesimal thermo-mechanical waves during the finite-deformation loading of a viscoelastic material: General theory," Zeitschrift fur angewandte Mathematik und Physik (ZAMP), vol. 63, 2012, pages 1143-1176.
- A. Goel, A. Sherafati, M. Negahban, A. Azizinamini, Y. Wang, ``A finite deformation nonlinear thermo-elastic model that mimics plasticity during onotonic loading,'' it International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 48, 2011, pages 2977-2986.
- A. Goel, Y. Wen*, J. Hein, M. Negahban, J. A. Turner, ``Measuring the influence of temperature on the development of the elastic anisotropy with compressive plastic flow for glassy polycarbonate,'' Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, vol. 133, 2011, pages 030902-1 to 7.
- A. Goel, K. Strabala, M. Negahban, R. Feng, ``Experimentally evaluating equilibrium stress in uniaxial tests,'' Experimental Mechanics, vol. 50, 2010, pages 709-716.
- M. Negahban, A. Goel, L. Zhang, "Evaluating the development of elastic anisotropy with plastic flow," Acta Mechanica, vol. 208, 2009, pages 259267.
- M. Negahban, A. Goel, P. Marchon, A. Azizinamini, "Geometrically Exact Nonlinear Extended-Reissner/Mindlin Shells: Fundamentals, Finite Element Formulation, Elasticity," International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics vol. 10, 2009, pages 430-449.
- L. Delbreilh, M. Negahban, M.Benzohra, C. Lacabanne, J.-M. Saiter, "Glass transition investigated by a combined protocol using thermostimulated depolarization currents and differential scanning calorimetry," Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry vol. 96, 2009, pages 865-871.
- A. Goel, K. Strabala, M. Negahban, J. Turner, "Modeling the development of elastic anisotropy with plastic flow for glassy polycarbonate," Polymer Engineering and Science vol. 49, 2009, pages 1951-1959.
- J.-M. Saiter, M. Negahban, P. dos Santos Claro, P. Delabare and M.-R. Garda, "Quantitative and Transient DSC Measurements I. Heat Capacity and Glass Transition," Journal of Materials Education, vol. 30, 2008, pages 51-95.
- M. Negahban, K. Strabala, P. Delabarre, A. Goel, R. Feng, J. Grenet, "Temperature dependence of the back-stress in shear for glassy polycarbonate," Macromolecular Symposia, vol. 258, 2007, pages 142-151.
- M. Negahban, ``Single and multiple material constraints in thermoelasticity,'' Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, vol. 12, 2007, pages 623-664.
- "Material Symmetry and the Evolution of Anisotropies in First Gradient Theories of Nonlinear Material Behavior; Inelasticity; Polymer Crystallization."
- The Mechanical and Thermodynamical Theory of Plasticity, Mehrdad Negahban, 2012, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/ 9780849372308