East Campus (Lincoln)
204 L.W. Chase Hall
Personal Links:• CropWatch
• Nebraska Precision Agriculture
• Agricultural Data Coalition
Professional Memberships:• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
• International Society of Precision Agriculture
• North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
Associate Director Eastern Nebraska Research, Extension and Education Center (ENREEC)
- Ph.D., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky (2012)
- M.S., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky (2007)
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky (2002)
- Licensed Professional Engineer, Commonwealth of Kentucky
• Ph.D., P.E.
- 60% Extension
- 40% Research
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Variable-Rate Application Technologies
- Sensors and Control Systems for Site-Specific Crop Management
- Development and Evaluation of Liquid Application Technologies
- GIS and Data Management Systems in Agriculture
- Site-Specific Management Strategies
- Precision Agriculture Technology Utilization
- Farm Management Software Training
- Site-Specific Crop Management
Aug 11, 2016: BSE harvests bumper crop of awards at ASABE conference
Mar 07, 2016: UNL joins Agricultural Data Coalition
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Precision Ag Researcher/Educator of the Year Award. The Precision Ag Institute Awards of Excellence.
- 2017 Larry Turner Young Extension Professional Award. The American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- 2015 Gale A. Holloway Professional Development Award, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
- 2015 Holling Family Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
- 2015 Faculty of the Year Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering Student Advisory Board
- Vieira, B.C., J.D. Luck, K.L. Amundsen, T.A. Gaines, R. Werle, and G.R. Kruger. 2019. Response of Amaranthus spp. Following exposure to sublethal herbicide rates via spray particle drift. PLoS ONE 14(7): e0220014. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0220014
- Rohrer, R.A.3, S.K. Pitla, and J.D. Luck. 2019. Tractor can bus interface tools and application development for real-time data analysis. Computers Electronics Agric. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2019.06.002
- Butts, T.R., C.A. Samples, L.X. Franca, D.M. Dodds, D.B. Reynolds, J.W. Adams, R.K. Zollinger, K.A. Howatt, B.K. Fritz, W.C. Hoffmann, J.D. Luck, and G.R. Kruger. 2019. Optimum droplet size using a pulse-width modulation sprayer for applications of 2,4-D choline plus glyphosate. Agron J. 111(3):1425-1432.
- Butts, T.R., C.A. Samples, L.X. Franca, D.M. Dodds, D.B. Reynolds, J.W. Adams, R.K. Zollinger, K.A. Howatt, B.K. Fritz, W.C. Hoffmann, J.D. Luck, and G.R. Kruger. 2019. Droplet size impact on dicamba plus glyphosate tank-mixture efficacy. Weed Tech. 33(1):66-74.
- Luck, J.D., S.A. Shearer, and M.P. Sama. 2019. Development and preliminary evaluation of an integrated individual nozzle direct injection/carrier flow rate control system for pesticide applications. Trans. ASABE. 62(2): 505-514.
- Butts, T.R., J.D. Luck, B.K. Fritz, W.C. Hoffmann, and G.R. Kruger. 2019. Evaluation of spray pattern uniformity using three unique analyses as impacted by nozzle, pressure, and pulse-width modulation duty cycle. Pest Mgmt. Sci. 75(7): 1875-1886.
- Butts, T.R., L.E. Butts, J.D. Luck, B.K. Fritz, W.C. Hoffmann, and G.R. Kruger. 2019. Droplet size and nozzle tip pressure from a pulse-width modulation sprayer. Biosys. Eng. 178(2019) 52-69.
- Rohrer, R.A.3, S.K. Pitla, J.D. Luck, and R.M. Hoy. 2018. Evaluation of the accuracy of machine reported CAN data for engine torque and speed. Trans. ASABE 61(5): 1547-1557 (Contribution 20%)
- Thompson, L.J., B.R. Krienke, R.B. Ferguson, and J.D. Luck. 360-degree Video for Immersive Learner Engagement. J. Extension [On-line], 53(4) Article 5TOT2. Available at: https://joe.org/joe/2018september/pdf/JOE_v56_5tt2.pdf (Contribution 20%)
- Finkenbiner, C., T.E. Franz, J. Gibson, D.M. Heeren, and J.D. Luck. 2018. Integration of hydrogeophysical datasets and empirical orthogonal functions for improved irrigation water management. Precision Agric. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11119-018-9582-5 (Contribution 10%)
- Miller, K.A.2, J.D. Luck, D.M. Heeren, T.H. Lo, D.L. Martin, and J.B. Barker. 2018. A geospatial variable rate irrigation control scenario evaluation methodology based on mining root zone available water capacity. Precision Agric. 19(4): 666-683.