Troy Gilmore, PhD
- Ph.D., Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Water Resources Emphasis, North Carolina State University
- A.S., Mechanical Engineering Technology, University of Akron
- 70% research
- 30% extension
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Agricultural nutrient and water fluxes
- Legacy contaminants in groundwater
- Groundwater-surface water interaction
- Tracer hydrology/noble gas modeling
- Emerging contaminants
- In-stream methods to quantify the fate of nitrate in a surficial aquifer
- Groundwater transit time distribution and mean from streambed measurements
- Aquifer nitrate legacy and dynamics
- Instrument development
- University of Nebraska Conservation and Survey Division (School of Natural Resources) and Biological Systems Engineering Dept – Lincoln, NE. Groundwater Hydrologist/Assistant Professor, October 2015 - present
- North Carolina State University Marine Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Dept – Raleigh, NC. Research Assistant, July 2011 – July 2015
- North Carolina State University Biological and Agricultural Engineering Dept – Raleigh, NC. Research Assistant, Provost’s Fellow, Dean’s Fellow, August 2010 – July 2011
- North Carolina State University Civil Engineering Dept – Raleigh, NC. Undergraduate Research Assistant, August 2009 – December 2009
- Nondenominational Christian Missionaries - OH and WV
Missionary Volunteer, January 2002 - February 2007
- Advanced Energy Corporation - Raleigh, NC
Building Science Technician (Americorps Member), August 2007 - August 2008
- Palmetto Air and Water Balance - Morrisville, NC
Engineering Technician, May 2007 - August 2007
- Shakley Mechanical - Ashland, OH
HVAC and Plumbing Technician, January 2000 – January 2002
- USS/Kobe Steel - Lorain, OH
Mechanical Engineering Maintenance Trainee (Co-op) - Two Semesters, 1999
Gilmore, T.E., F. Birgand and K. Chapman. 2013. Source and magnitude of error in an inexpensive image-based water level measurement system. Journal of Hydrology 496: 178–186. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.05.011.
- Solder, J. E., T. E. Gilmore, D. P. Genereux, and D. K. Solomon. 2016. A Tube Seepage Meter for In Situ Measurement of Seepage Rate and Groundwater Sampling, Groundwater, 54(4), 588–595, doi:10.1111/gwat.12388.
- Gilmore, T.E., D.P. Genereux, D.K. Solomon, J.E. Solder. 2016. Groundwater transit time distribution and mean from streambed sampling in an agricultural coastal plain watershed, North Carolina, USA. Water Resources Research, 52, doi:10.1002/2015WR017600.
- Gilmore, T.E., D.P. Genereux, D.K. Solomon, J.E. Solder, B.A. Kimball, H. Mitasova, F. Birgand. 2016. Quantifying the fate of agricultural nitrogen in an unconfined aquifer: stream-based observations at three different scales. Water Resources Research, 52, doi:10.1002/2015WR017599
- Heilweil, V. M., Solomon, D. K., Darrah, T. H., Gilmore, T.E., Genereux, D. P. 2016. A gas-tracer injection for evaluating the fate of stream methane: Atmospheric loss versus oxidation. Environ. Sci. Technol., 50(19), 10504–10511, doi:10.1021/acs.est.6b02224.
Gilmore, T.E., D.P. Genereux, D.K. Solomon, K.M. Farrell, H. Mitasova. 2016. Aquifer nitrate nitrate legacy and dynamics observed through groundwater sampling in streambeds and well nests. Accepted, Water Resources Research.
- Gilmore, T.E.* 2015. Tools for Measuring Groundwater-Surface Water Interaction in Western Nebraska. Poster presented at the Joint Nebraska Cooperative Extension Association and UNL Extension Fall Conference, Kearney, NE. November 13, 2015.
- Gilmore, T.E.*, D. Genereux, K. Solomon, K. Farrell, H. Mitasova. 2015. Aquifer nitrate legacy and dynamics: observations from well nests and streambed sampling. Oral presentation at the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting, New Orleans, LA. July 29, 2015.
- Gilmore, T.E.*, D. Genereux, K. Solomon, H. Mitasova, M. Burnette. 2014. Vertical Sampling in recharge areas versus lateral sampling in discharge areas: Assessing the agricultural nitrogen legacy in groundwater. Poster presented at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA. December 16, 2014.
- Gilmore, T.E.*, D. Genereux, K. Solomon, J. Solder, B. Kimball, F. Birgand, H. Mitasova, M. Burnette, S. Becker. 2014. Using groundwater discharge to assess an agricultural nitrogen legacy: three approaches to sampling in stream channels at different scales. Oral presentation at the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting, Montreal, QC. July 16, 2014.
- Gilmore, T.E.*, J. Solder, K. Solomon, D. Genereux, B. Kimball, H. Mitasova, M. Burnette, S. Becker. 2014. Estimating groundwater and nitrogen fluxes through a streambed: Effects of sampling integration scale. Oral presentation at the North Carolina Water Resources Research Institute Conference, Raleigh, NC. March 20, 2014.
- Gilmore, T.E.*, J. Solder, K. Solomon, D. Genereux, B. Kimball, M. Burnette, S. Becker. 2013. How sampling integration scale affects estimates of coupled groundwater and nitrogen fluxes into an agricultural stream. Oral presentation at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA. December 9, 2013.
- Solder, J.E.*, D.K. Solomon, T.E. Gilmore, D.P. Genereux, D.O. Rosenberry. 2013. Development and testing of Shelby tubes as an in-situ discharge and hydraulic conductivity measurement device. Oral presentation at the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. October 27, 2013.
- Gilmore, T.E.*, F. Birgand, K. Chapman, and A. Brown. 2011. GaugeCam: An Image-based internet connected system to measure water level in streams. Presented at the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering Annual International Meeting, Louisville, KY. August 9, 2011.