Hasan Otu , PhD
• Google Scholar Page
• American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2002
- M.S., Bogazici University, 1997
- B.S., Bogazici University, 1996
- Systems Biology
- Bayesian Networks
- Genetic Variations
- Divide and Conquer System and Method of DNA Sequence Assembly. File Number: 20030224384.
- System and Method for Sequence Distance Measure for Phylogenetic Tree Construction. File Number: 20070225918.
- Human Transcriptome Corresponding To Human Oocytes And Use Of Said Genes Or The Corresponding Polypeptides To Trans-Differentiate Somatic Cells. File Number: 20090028835.
- Genes differentially expressed by cumulus cells and assays using same to identify pregnancy competent oocytes. File Number: EP2499261 A2.
About Hasan Otu
Hasan H. Otu obtained his B.S. degree in 1996 and his M.S. degree in 1997, both from Bogazici University, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. In 2002, he graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln with a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering focusing on Bioinformatics.
He has been a faculty member at Harvard Medical School (2003 - 2012), where he was a research fellow between 2002-2003. Dr. Otu is the founding director of Bioinformatics Core at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School and Associate Director of Proteomics Core at Dana Farber Harvard Cancer Center. Between 2010-2013, Dr. Otu was the founding chair of the Department of Genetics and Bioengineering at Istanbul Bilgi University.
Dr. Otu’s research interests are in the area of Bioinformatics focusing on macromolecular sequence analysis, microarrays, biomarker discovery, genetic variations and systems biology, analyzing high throughput biological data within the context of networks. Dr. Otu has published ~60 journal articles and ~30 conference proceedings, which have received ~4,000 citations. Dr. Otu has written 4 book chapters and holds 4 U.S. patents.
- 2013-present, Professor - University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Department of Electrical Engineering
- 2010-2013, Assistant Prof. - Istanbul Bilgi University Department of Bioengineering, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2003- 2012, Instructor of Medicine - Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 2002-2003, Research Fellow - Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 2000-2002, Instructor of EE - University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Department of Electrical Engineering
Visiting and Other Academic Appointments:
- 2005- 2008, Adjunct Instructor - Boston Uni. Bioinformatics Program, Boston, MA
- 2005- 2006, Teaching Instructor - Northeastern University Department of Biology, Graduate Program in Bionformatics, Boston, MA
- 2006-2007, Assistant Prof. - Yeditepe University Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2008, Assistant Prof. - Sabanci University Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Istanbul, Turkey
Major Administrative Responsibilities:
- 2003-2007, Director - Bioinformatics Core, BIDMC Genomics Center
- 2004-2012, Associate Director - Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center Proteomics Core
- 2006-2008, Steering Committee - Biotechnology Institute, Yeditepe University
- 2007-2012, Associate Director - Bioinformatics Core, BIDMC Genomics Center
- 2010-2013, Chair - Department of Bioengineering, Istanbul Bilgi U.
Editorial Boards and Program Committees:
- 2000: Ad hoc reviewer - IEEE Transactions on Communications, Bioinformatics, Systematic Biology, Journal of Computational Chemistry, Journal of Molecular Modeling, Cancer Informatics, Journal of Molecular Evolution, BMC Bioinformatics, BMC Medical Genomics, Journal of Computational Biology, Molecular Simulation, The Computer Journal, African Journal of Biotechnology, European Journal of Human Genetics, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Acta Biotheoretica, Journal of Heredity
- 2010: Associate Editor - EURASIP Journal on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
- 2011: PC Co-chair The 6th International Symposium on Health Informatics and Bioinformatics, (HIBIT)
- 2012: Organizer - Workshop, “Bioinformatics Approaches for Analysis of High-throughput Biological Data”, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- 2009-2012 The Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research; “Analysis of high-throughput genomic data using an integrated approach; Otu (PI); ~$182,000
- 2011-2013 Istanbul Bilgi University Research Fund; “Human Whole Genome Sequencing” Otu (PI); ~$25,000
- 2011-2013 The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey; Project No: 111E042; “Bayesian Network Analysis of High Throughput Biological Data: A Systems Biology Approach”; Otu (PI); ~$85,000
- 2016-2019 NIH/NIA; Project No: R01AG051658; “Advancing the Understanding of Postoperative Delirium Mechanisms via Multi-Omics”; Marcantonio/Libermann (MPI’s), Otu (Co-PI); ~$2.3M
- 2018-2024 NIH/NIA; Project No: P01AG031720; “Delirium, Dementia, and the Vulnerable Brain: An Integrative Approach”; Inouye (PI); “The role of inflammation in the pathophysiology of delirium and its associated long term cognitive decline (Project2)”; Marcantonio/Libermann (MPI’s), Otu (Co-PI); ~$13.6M
- 2018-2020 NIH/NLM; Project No: 1R21LM012759; “Identification and characterization of interaction atlases in human”; Otu (PI); ~$450,000
- Otu HH*, Fortunel NO*, Ng HH*, Chen J, Mu X, Chevassut T, Li X, Joseph M, Bailey C, Hatzfeld JA, Usta F, Vega VB, Long PM, Liberman TA, Lim B. “Comment on ‘Stemness: Transcriptional Profiling of Embryonic and Adult Stem Cells’ and ‘A Stem Cell Molecular Signature’” Science 2003; 302: 393b.
- Otu HH, Sayood K. “A new sequence distance measure for phylogenetic tree construction” Bioinformatics 2003; 19:2122-2130.
- Kocabas AM, Crosby J, Ross PJ, Otu HH, Beyhan Z, Can H, Leong TW, Rosa GJM, Halgren RG, Lim B, Fernandez E and Cibelli JB. “The transcriptome of human oocytes” PNAS, 2006 103: 14027-14032.
- Steidl U, Rosenbauer F, Verhaak RGW, Gu X, Ebralidze A., Otu HH, Klippel S, Steidl C, Bruns I, Costa DB, Wagner K, Aivado M, Kobbe G, Valk PJ, Passegué E, Libermann TA, Delwel R, Tenen DG. “Essential role of Jun family transcription factors in PU.1 knockdown-induced leukemic stem cells” Nature Genetics, 2006 38(11):1269-77.
- Otu HH, Can H, Spentzos D, Nelson RG, Hanson RL, Looker HC, Knowler WC, Monroy M, Libermann TA, Karumanchi SA, Thadhani R. “Prediction of diabetic nephropathy using urine proteomic profiling 10 years prior to development of nephropathy” Diabetes Care, 2007 30:638-643.
- Otu HH, Noxerova K, Can H, Ho K, Nesbitt N, Libermann TA, Karp SJ. “Restoration of liver mass after injury requires proliferative and not embryonic transcriptional patterns” Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2007 282(15):11197-204.
- Al-Swailem AM , Shehata MM, Abu-Duhier FM, Al-Yamani EJ, Al-Busadah KA, Al-Arawi MS, Al-Khider AY, Al-Muhaimeed AN, Al-Qahtani FH, Al-Manee MM, Al-Shomrani BM, Al-Qhtani SM, Al-Harthi AS, Akdemir KC, Inan MS, Otu HH. “Sequencing, analysis, and annotation of expressed sequence tags for camelus dromedaries” PLoS ONE, 2010 5(5):e10720.
- Isci S, Jones J, Ozturk C, Otu HH. “Pathway analysis of high throughput biological data within a Bayesian Network framework” Bioinformatics, 2011 27(12):1667-1674.
- Isci S, Dogan H, Ozturk C, Otu HH. “Bayesian Network Prior: Network Analysis of Biological Data Using External Knowledge” Bioinformatics, 2014 30(6):860-867.
- Dogan H, Can H, Otu HH. “Whole Genome Sequencing of a Turkish Individual” PLoS One, 2014 9(1): e85233.
- Gonzalez-Muñoz E, Arboleda-Estudillo Y, Otu HH, Cibelli JB. “Histone chaperone ASF1A is required for maintenance of pluripotency and cellular reprogramming” Science, 2014 Jul 17. DOI:10.1126/science.1254745.
- Yalcin D, Hakguder ZM, Otu HH. “Bioinformatics approaches to single-cell analysis in developmental biology” Mol Hum Reprod., 2016 22(3):182-192.
* These authors contributed equally to the work.