Jun Wang, Ph.D.
Professional Memberships:• IEEE Member
The growing needs for power quality and density in distribution systems (e.g., electric ships, aircraft, and power grid), in conjunction with the integration of multiple energy sources and loads, have boosted the demand for next-generation high-power conversion technologies. Wide-bandgap-based power electronics, advanced communication systems, and data science are the pivotal enabling technologies to meet those needs. If you are passionate about shaping smaller, lighter, more efficient, reliable, and intelligent future electric power systems, join our research group and let's make it happen!
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech, USA, 2017
- M.S., Zhejiang University, China, 2010
- B.S., Zhejiang University, China, 2007
Research Opportunities (Graduate/Undergraduate)
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
Wide-bandgap power electronics
Medium-voltage dc (MVDC) power distribution and protection systems
Heavy-duty transportation electrification (electric trucks, ships, aircraft)
- Advanced medium-voltage power device packaging
Semiconductor fault prognostics and diagnostics
Biomedical power electronics
- “A series-series resonant topology for wireless power transfer,” 16/913,066, June 2020.
- “Low impedance multi-conductor layered bus structure with shielding,” 16/879,078, May 2020.
- “A high-density single-turn inductor structure,” 16/865,730, May 2020.
- “Hybrid-current-mode switching-cycle control,” 15/931,795, May 2020.
- “Circulating current injection control,” US 10,153,712 B2, Nov. 2018.
- “Power-cell switching-cycle capacitor voltage control for modular multi-level converters,” US 9,966,874 B2, May 2018.
- “Electrical coupler, power converter, and method,” US 10,475,551 B2, Nov. 2019.
“Water-cooled three-phase neutral-point-clamped three-level inverter module,” granted patent, CN101741227 B, May 2012.
- ECEN 498/898: Modeling and Control of Three-Phase PWM Converters
- Power Electronics (prospective)
Electrical Engineer, GE Power Conversion, 2010-2012.
Research Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech, 2018-2020.
Honors and Awards
Will Portnoy Prize Paper Award from IEEE Industrial Application Society, 2018.
- S. Mocevic, et al., “Power-cell design and assessment methodology based on a high-current 10 kV SiC MOSFET half-bridge module,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electron., early access.
- K. Sun, Y. Xu, J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Insulation design of wireless auxiliary power supply for medium voltage converters,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electron, early access.
- J. Wang, S. Mocevic, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “High-scalability enhanced gate drivers for SiC MOSFET modules with transient immunity beyond 100 V/ns,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 10180-10199, Oct. 2020.
- S. Mocevic, J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Comparison and discussion on shortcircuit protections for SiC MOSFET modules: desaturation vs. Rogowski switch-current sensor,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 2880-2893, May-June 2020.
- J. Hu, J. Wang, R. Burgos, B. Wen, and D. Boroyevich, “High-density current-transformer based gate-drive power supply with reinforced isolation for 10 kV SiC MOSFET modules,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electron, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 2217-2226, Sept. 2020.
- K. Sun, J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Design, analysis, and discussion of short circuit and overload gate-driver dual-protection scheme for 1.2-kV, 400-A SiC MOSFET modules,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 3054-3068, March 2020.
- Y. Xu, X. Feng, J. Wang, C. Gao, R. Burgos, D. Boroyevich, and R. E. Hebner, “Medium-voltage SiC-based converter laminated bus insulation design and assessment,” in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electron., vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1715-1726, Sept. 2019.
- C. Gao, Y. Xu, J. Wang, R. Burgos, D. Boroyevich and W. Wang, “Partial discharge online monitoring and localization for critical air gaps among SiC based medium voltage converter prototype,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 11725-11735, Dec. 2019.
- J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Switching-cycle state-space modeling and control of the modular multilevel converter,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electron., vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1159-1170, Dec. 2014.