Professional Memberships:• IEEE Member
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech, USA, 2017
- M.S., Zhejiang University, China, 2010
- B.S., Zhejiang University, China, 2007
Research Opportunities (Graduate/Undergraduate)
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
Wide-bandgap power electronics
MVDC power distribution and protection systems
- Advanced medium-voltage power device packaging
Semiconductor fault prognostics and diagnostics
Biomedical power electronics
- “A series-series resonant topology for wireless power transfer,” 16/913,066, June 2020.
- “Low impedance multi-conductor layered bus structure with shielding,” 16/879,078, May 2020.
- “A high-density single-turn inductor structure,” 16/865,730, May 2020.
- “Hybrid-current-mode switching-cycle control,” 15/931,795, May 2020.
- “Circulating current injection control,” US 10,153,712 B2, Nov. 2018.
- “Power-cell switching-cycle capacitor voltage control for modular multi-level converters,” US 9,966,874 B2, May 2018.
- “Electrical coupler, power converter, and method,” US 10,475,551 B2, Nov. 2019.
“Water-cooled three-phase neutral-point-clamped three-level inverter module,” granted patent, CN101741227 B, May 2012.
- ECEN 428/828: Power Electronics (Fall)
- ECEN 498/898: Modeling and Control of Three-Phase PWM Converters (Spring)
Electrical Engineer, GE Power Conversion, 2010-2012.
Research Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech, 2018-2020.
Honors and Awards
William M. Portnoy Prize Paper Award from IEEE Industrial Application Society, 2019 and 2021, respectively.
R. Kheirollahi, S. Zhao, H. Zhang, X. Lu, J. Wang and F. Lu, “Coordination of Ultrafast Solid-State Circuit Breakers in Radial DC Microgrids,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., doi: 10.1109/JESTPE.2021.3109483.
B. Fan et al., “Cell capacitor voltage switching-cycle balancing control for modular multilevel converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2021.3116803.
S. Mocevic, V. Mitrovic, J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Gate-Driver Integrated Junction Temperature Estimation of SiC MOSFET Modules,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., doi: 10.1109/JESTPE.2021.3108442.
K. Sun et al., “Modeling, design, and evaluation of active dv/dt balancing for series-connected SiC MOSFETs,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 534-546, Jan. 2022, doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2021.3100246.
Y. Rong et al., “A synchronous distributed communication and control system for SiC-based modular impedance measurement units,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., doi: 10.1109/JESTPE.2021.3120423.
R. Kheirollahi, H. Zhang, S. Zhao, J. Wang, and F. Lu, “Ultrafast solid-state circuit breaker with a modular active injection circuit,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., doi: 10.1109/JESTIE.2021.3087952.
- S. Mocevic, et al., “Power-cell design and assessment methodology based on a high-current 10 kV SiC MOSFET half-bridge module,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 3916-3935, Aug. 2021.
- K. Sun, Y. Xu, J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Insulation design of wireless auxiliary power supply for medium voltage converters,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 4200-4211, Aug. 2021.
- J. Wang, S. Mocevic, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “High-scalability enhanced gate drivers for SiC MOSFET modules with transient immunity beyond 100 V/ns,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 10180-10199, Oct. 2020.
- S. Mocevic, J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Comparison and discussion on shortcircuit protections for SiC MOSFET modules: desaturation vs. Rogowski switch-current sensor,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 2880-2893, May-June 2020.
- J. Hu, J. Wang, R. Burgos, B. Wen, and D. Boroyevich, “High-density current-transformer based gate-drive power supply with reinforced isolation for 10 kV SiC MOSFET modules,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 2217-2226, Sept. 2020.
- K. Sun, J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Design, analysis, and discussion of short circuit and overload gate-driver dual-protection scheme for 1.2-kV, 400-A SiC MOSFET modules,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 3054-3068, March 2020.
- Y. Xu, X. Feng, J. Wang, C. Gao, R. Burgos, D. Boroyevich, and R. E. Hebner, “Medium-voltage SiC-based converter laminated bus insulation design and assessment,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1715-1726, Sept. 2019.
- C. Gao, Y. Xu, J. Wang, R. Burgos, D. Boroyevich and W. Wang, “Partial discharge online monitoring and localization for critical air gaps among SiC based medium voltage converter prototype,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 11725-11735, Dec. 2019.
- J. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, “Switching-cycle state-space modeling and control of the modular multilevel converter,” IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1159-1170, Dec. 2014.