M. R. Hasan
Curiosity is Infectious...
I am an Assistant Professor of Big Data and Artificial Intelligence in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
For my short biography and CV, visit this page.
ResearchMy research revolves around modern artificial intelligence (AI) for solving exciting scientific and societal problems. I am interested in creating multimodal AI that learns from diverse human experiences. Towards this goal, I intend to design machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL) methods for utilizing language models as a general-purpose interface for the multimodal AI.
AI for Social Good: I have been utilizing AI for performing social good, which includes a National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored project to improve STEM students' learning via an AI-based just-in-time personalized intervention system, prevent misinformation from online social media, and develop participatory AI by engaging underrepresented communities that include indigenous people.
For information on my past and current research projects, visit this page.
I have created an extensive set of tutorials on ML/DL, which are posted on my GitHub page.
TeachingMy passion for teaching is inspired by my mentor Richard Feynman! I am enthusiastic about conveying the joy and excitement of the world of modern AI through my lectures on ML and DL.
For information on my teaching adventures, visit this page.
- [2023, September 15] Gave an invited talk on Generative AI and Large Language Models at Baird Holm’s 2023 Technology and Data Protection Forum
- [2023, August 28] We received the 2023 UNL Grand Challenges Planning Grant Award for our research on Participatory Artificial Intelligence for behavior change to improve climate resilience and food security via a tribal non-tribal community partnership
- [2023, August 9] Gave a presentation on "ChatGPT and Limits of AI" to the Lincoln Public Schools (LPS) science teachers at the UNL-LPS STEM Connector event
- [2023, August] Chinh Hoang joined my lab as a Ph.D. student. Welcome!
- [2023, August] Congratulations to Nathan Roberts and Sharif Akil for obtaining the 2023-2024 UCARE (Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Experience) award!
- [2023, July 19] Our article on AI-based intervention is published in PLoS One
- [2023, July 13] Gave an invited talk on "Modern AI, its discontents, and how I am using it for social good" at LES (Lincoln Electric System)'s PluggedIn event which is targeted for a future leadership development group
- [2023, July 6] Received the Research Development Fellows Program (RDFP) Award
- [2023, June 25 - 28] Presented our paper on the Trajectory-Clustering Framework for Assessing AI-Based Adaptive Interventions at the 2023 ASEE (American Society for Engineering Education) Annual Conference in Baltimore, Maryland
- [2023, June 9] Congratulations Ahatsham for obtaining the David Swanson Memorial Open Science Grid (OSG) Travel Award!
- [2023, May 30] Congratulations to Keyik Annagulyyeva and Yusup Orazov for obtaining the UCARE (Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Experience) award! Welcome to the team
- [2023, May 23] Received the Faculty Affairs award for the External Mentoring Program
- [2023, May 19] My undergraduate research assistant Nathan Roberts received the Undergraduate Honors Award for the most original research in the 2023 Student Research Days Poster Sessions and Creative Exhibitions. Congratulations, Nathan!
- [2023, April 3] Our paper on AI-based adaptive interventions has been accepted at the 2023 ASEE (American Society for Engineering Education) Annual Conference
- [2023, March 28] My undergraduate research assistant Nathan Roberts (sponsored by UCARE) presented a poster on his research on the generalizability of deep learning vision models during the UNL 2023 Spring Student Research Days. Well done, Nathan!
- [2023, March 24] Received the 2023 College of Engineering Holling Family Distinguished Teaching Award for Excellence in Inclusive Teaching
- [2023, February 26] My interview on Artificial Intelligence and Ethics was hosted on a UNL podcast
- [2023, January] Ahatsham joined my lab as a Ph.D. student. Welcome!
- [2022, September 2] Received a grant from the Nebraska Governance and Technology Center (NGTC) at the UNL for preliminary research on building an AI to combat misinformation in social media
- [2022, December 11 - 15] Presented our paper on self-supervised learning (SSL) at the 21st IEEE International Conference in Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA) in Nassau, Bahamas
- [2022, October 19] Received the UNL College of Engineering (COE) 2021-2022 Research Excellence Award
- [2022, October 3] Selected as the 2022-2023 Research Development Fellows Program (RDFP) fellow at UNL
- [2022, September] Served as an NSF panelist
- [2022, September 7] Congratulations Nathan Roberts for obtaining the UCARE (Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Experience) award! Welcome to the team
- [2022, September 2] Our paper titled "Self-Supervised Learning in the Twilight of Noisy Real-World Datasets" has been accepted at the 21st IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA)
- [2022, September 2] Received a grant from UNL's Longitudinal Networks Core (LNC) for preliminary research on the AI-based psychological intervention system
- [2022, August 5] My student Thomas Walton (Summer 2022 UCARE) presented a poster on his research on neural network during the UNL COE Summer Undergraduate Research Fair (SURF). Well done, Tom!
- [2022, July 25] Story of our NSF-sponsored research on AI for behavioral intervention is published in the Nebraska Today
- [2022, June 21] Received the UNL Collaboration Initiative Grant. Role: Co-PI. Project: An Innovative AI-Augmented Real-Time Remote Access Engineering Lab Using Robotics and Computer Vision
- [2022, June 7] Received the UNL Collaboration Initiative Grant. Role: Co-PI. Project: Artificial intelligence-based condition monitoring and fault detection for power system equipment
- [2022, June 1 - 3] Attended the NSF AAAS-Improving Undergraduate STEM Education (IUSE) Initiative summit in Washington DC
- [2022, May 12] Session chair at the 2022 International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS)
- [2022, March 23] Congratulations Thomas Walton for obtaining the Summer 2022 UCARE award!
- [2022, February 13] Article accepted in the Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations
- More ...
ContactMohammad Rashedul Hasan
Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Office: Nebraska Hall (NH) 430K
Lincoln, NE 68588-0115
Phone: (402) 472 5026
Fax: (402) 472 4732