M. R. Hasan
Curiosity is Infectious...
I am an Assistant Professor of Big Data and Artificial Intelligence in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
For my short biography and CV, visit this page.
ResearchMy research revolves around machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL), which are data-driven inductive learning paradigms of artificial intelligence (AI). I am interested to advance ML/DL research in two dimensions. (i) Science: investigate biases in the DL models, design generalizable solutions, and create explainable AI; and (ii) Application: apply ML/DL for solving practical problems in computer vision and Natural Language Understanding (NLU).
AI for Social Good: I have been utilizing AI for performing social good, which includes a National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored project to improve STEM performance via an AI-based just-in-time personalized intervention system and using DL towards preventing COVID-19-related misinformation from online social media.
For information on my past and current research projects, visit this page.
I have created an extensive set of tutorials on ML/DL, which are posted on my GitHub page.
TeachingMy passion for teaching is inspired by my mentor Richard Feynman! I am enthusiastic about conveying the joy and excitement of the world of modern AI through my lectures on ML and DL.
For information on my teaching adventures, visit this page.
- [2023, May 23] Received the Faculty Affairs award for the External Mentoring Program
- [2023, May 19] My undergraduate research assistant Nathan Roberts received the Undergraduate Honors Award for the most original research in the 2023 Student Research Days Poster Sessions and Creative Exhibitions. Congratulations, Nathan!
- [2023, April 3] Our paper on AI-based adaptive interventions has been accepted at the 2023 ASEE (American Society for Engineering Education) Annual Conference
- [2023, March 28] My undergraduate research assistant Nathan Roberts (sponsored by UCARE) presented a poster on his research on the generalizability of deep learning vision models during the UNL 2023 Spring Student Research Days. Well done, Nathan!
- [2023, March 24] Received the 2023 College of Engineering Holling Family Distinguished Teaching Award for Excellence in Inclusive Teaching
- [2023, February 26] My interview on Artificial Intelligence and Ethics was hosted on a UNL podcast
- [2023, January] Ahatsham joined my lab as a Ph.D. student. Welcome!
- [2022, September 2] Received a grant from the Nebraska Governance and Technology Center (NGTC) at the UNL for preliminary research on building an AI to combat misinformation in social media
- [2022, December 11 - 15] Presented our paper on self-supervised learning (SSL) at the 21st IEEE International Conference in Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA) in Nassau, Bahamas
- [2022, October 19] Received the UNL College of Engineering (COE) 2021-2022 Research Excellence Award
- [2022, October 3] Selected as the 2022-2023 Research Development Fellows Program (RDFP) fellow at UNL
- [2022, September] Served as an NSF panelist
- [2022, September 7] Congratulations Nathan Roberts for obtaining the UCARE (Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Experience) award! Welcome to the team
- [2022, September 2] Our paper titled "Self-Supervised Learning in the Twilight of Noisy Real-World Datasets" has been accepted at the 21st IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA)
- [2022, September 2] Received a grant from the Longitudinal Networks Core (LNC) at the UNL for preliminary research on the AI-based psychological intervention system
- [2022, August 5] My student Thomas Walton (Summer 2022 UCARE) presented a poster on his research on neural network during the UNL COE Summer Undergraduate Research Fair (SURF). Well done, Tom!
- [2022, July 25] Story of our NSF-sponsored research on AI for behavioral intervention is published in the Nebraska Today
- [2022, June 21] Received the UNL Collaboration Initiative Grant. Role: Co-PI. Project: An Innovative AI-Augmented Real-Time Remote Access Engineering Lab Using Robotics and Computer Vision
- [2022, June 7] Received the UNL Collaboration Initiative Grant. Role: Co-PI. Project: Artificial intelligence-based condition monitoring and fault detection for power system equipment
- [2022, June 1 - 3] Attended the NSF AAAS-Improving Undergraduate STEM Education (IUSE) Initiative summit in Washington DC
- [2022, May 12] Session chair at the 2022 International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS)
- [2022, March 23] Congratulations Thomas Walton for obtaining the Summer 2022 UCARE award!
- [2022, February 13] Article accepted in the Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations
- More ...
ContactMohammad Rashedul Hasan
Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Office: Nebraska Hall (NH) 430K
Lincoln, NE 68588-0115
Phone: (402) 472 5026
Fax: (402) 472 4732