- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (Environmental), University of Virginia, 2004
- M.S. in Civil Engineering (Environmental), University of Virginia, 2000
- B.S. in Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, 1998
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Physicochemical fate of contaminants in soil and water
- Contaminant fate and transport in landfills
In the News
May 01, 2015: UNL faculty head team that wins AAEES Grand Prize
May 04, 2009: Awards bloom in Engineering
Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation CAREER award, 2012
- McGraw-Hill/AEESP Award for Outstanding Teaching in Environmental Science and Engineering, 2011
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Graduate Education, 2011
- UNL College of Engineering Faculty Service Award, 2011
- UNL College of Engineering Multidisciplinary Research Award, 2010
- Edgerton Innovation Award, 2010
- Chi Epsilon Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008-2009
- College Distinguished Teaching Award, 2009
- Henry Y. Kleinkauf Family Distinguished New Faculty Teaching Award, 2008
- College Faculty Research and Creative Activity Award, 2008
- Bartelt-Hunt, S.L., Bartz, J.C. (2013). Behavior of Prions in the Environment: Implications for Prion Biology.PLoS Pathogens, 9(2): e1003113.
- Saunders, S.E.; Bartz, J.C.; Bartelt-Hunt, S.L. (2012). Resistance of Soil-Bound Prions to Rumen Degradation.PLoS One, 7, e44051.
- Sangster, J.; Nelson, A.; and Bartelt-Hunt S.L. (2012). The Occurrence of Lead in Soil and Vegetables at a Community Garden in Omaha, Nebraska. International Journal of Service Learning in Engineering: Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship, 7(1): 62-68.
- Saunders, S.E.; Bartelt-Hunt, S.L. and Bartz, J.C. (2012). Chronic Wasting Disease: Occurrence, Transmission and Zoonotic Potential. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 18(3): 369-376.
- Saunders, S.E.; Bartz, J.C.; and Bartelt-Hunt, S.L. (2012). Soil-Mediated Prion Transmission: Is Local Soil Type a Key Determinant of Prion Disease Incidence? Chemosphere, 87(7): 661-667.
- Yuan, Q., Saunders, S.E., and Bartelt-Hunt, S.L. (2012). Methane and carbon dioxide production from land disposal of cattle carcasses. Waste Management, 32(5): 939-943.
- Bartelt-Hunt, S.L.; Snow, D.D.; Kranz, W.L.; Mader, T.L.; Shapiro, C.A.; van Donk, S.J.; Shelton, D.P.; Tarkalson, D.D., and Zhang, T.C. (2012). Effect of growth promotants on the occurrence of natural and synthetic steroid hormones on feedlot soils and in runoff from beef cattle feeding operations.Environmental Science and Technology, 46(3): 1352-1360.