Khalid SayoodHenson Professor of Engineering
- Ph.D., 1982 Texas A&M University College Station, TX
- M.S., 1979 University of Rochester Rochester, NY
- B.S., 1977 University of Rochester Rochester, NY
Curriculum Vitae (CV):
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Search of patterns in data
- Data compression
- Joint source-channel coding
- Various aspects of bioinformatics
About Khalid Sayood
Khalid Sayood received his undergraduate education at the Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, and the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. He received the B.S. and M.S. degrees from the University of Rochester, and the Ph.D. degree from Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, in 1977, 1979, and 1982 respectively, all in electrical engineering.
He joined the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 1982, where he is currently serving as Henson Professor of Engineering. He spent the 1995-1997 academic years at the TUBITAK Marmara Research Center and Bogazici University in Turkey. He is the author of "Introductionto Data Compression," now in its second edition, and the editor of "The Lossless Compression Handbook."
In the News:
- M.A. Larson, O.U. Nalbantoglu, K. Sayood, E.B. Zentz, R.C. Cer, P.C. Iwen, S.C. Francesconi, K. Bishop-Lilly, V. Mokashi, A. Sjostedt, S. H. Hinrichs, "Transfer of Wolbachia persica to the genus Francisella and reclassification as Francisella persica comb. nov. with emended description of the family Francisellaceae.," International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, January 2016.
- M.A. Larson, O.U. Nalbantoglu, K. Sayood, E.B. Zentz, A.M. Bartling, S.C. Francesconi, P.D. Fey, M.P. Dempsey, S. H. Hinrichs, "Francisella tularensis Subtype A. II Genomic Plasticity in Comparison with Subtype AI," PLoS One, 2015
- O.U. Nalbantoglu, A. Cakar, H. Dogan, N. Abaci, D. Ustek, K. Sayood, and H. Can, "Metagenomic analysis of the microbial community in kefir grains," Food Microbiology 41:42-51, January 2014
- O.U. Nalbantoglu and K. Sayood, "Data Compression," Computer Science Handbook, ed. T. Gonsalez, CRC Press, 2014.
- K. Sayood, "Digital Image Formats," Digital Image Forensics ed. H.T. Sencar and N.Memon, Springer 2013.
- K. Sayood, Introduction to Data Compression, 4th edition, Morgan-Kaufmann, 2012
- O.U. Nalbantoglu, S. Way, S.H.Hinrichs, and K. Sayood, "RAIphy: phylogenetic classification of metagenomics samples using iterative refinement of relative abundance index profiles " BMC Bioinformatics, February 2011
- D.J. Russell, S.F. Way, A.K. Benson, and K. Sayood, "A grammar-based distance metric enables fast and accurate clustering of large sets of 16S sequences" BMC Bioinformatics, 2010, 11:601
- O.U. Nalbantoglu, D.R. Russell, and K. Sayood, "Data compression concepts and algorithms and their applications to bioinformatics ", Entropy. 12(1):34-52, 2010.
- D.J. Russell, H.H. Otu, and K. Sayood, "Grammar-based distance in progressive multiple sequence alignment," BMC Bioinformatics, July 2008.
- M. Bauer, S.M. Schuster, and K. Sayood, "The average mutual information profile as a genomic signature," BMC Bioinformatics, January 2008.
- WD León-Salas, S Balkir, K Sayood, N Schemm, MW Hoffman, "A CMOS imager with focal plane compression using predictive coding," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, of 42 (11), 2007
- H.Wang, S.D. Babacan, and K. Sayood, "Lossless Hyperspectral Image Compression Using Context-based Conditional Average," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, December 2007.
- H.H. Otu and K. Sayood, "A New Sequence Distance Measure for Phylogenetic Tree Construction," Bioinformatics, April 2003.
- H.H. Otu and K. Sayood, "A Divide and Conquer Approach to Sequence Assembly," Bioinformatics, January 2003.
- B.D. Pettijohn, M.W. Hoffman, and K. Sayood, "Joint Source/Channel Coding Using Arithmetic Codes," IEEE Transactions on Communications, May 2001.
- K. Sayood, H.H. Otu, and N. Demir, "Joint Source/Channel Coding for Variable Length Codes," IEEE Transactions on Communications, May 2000.