Michael HoffmanProfessor and Undergraduate Advisor
- Ph.D., 1992 University of Minnesota Minneapolis, MN
- M.S.E.E., 1987 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA
- B.S.E.E., 1985 Rice University Houston, TX
- U.S. Patent: US 6,981,010 B1 System and Method for Generating Pseudo-Noise Se- quences, S. Balkir, W. Leon, M. Hoffman, and L. Perez. Issued Dec. 27, 2005.
- U.S. Patent: US 6,892,343 B2 System and Method for Joint Source-Channel Cod- ing with Symbol Decoding and Error Correction, K. Sayood, M. Hoffman and B. D. Pettijohn. Issued May 10, 2005.
- ELEC 121 - Introduction to Electrical Engineering
- ELEC 305 - Probability and Statistics for Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ELEC 410/810 - Multivariate Random Processes
- ELEC 462/862 - Communication Systems
- ELEC 463/863 - Digital Signal Processing
- ELEC 464/864 - Digital Communication Systems
- ELEC 465/865 - Introduction to Data Compression
- ELEC 494 - Electrical Engineering Senior Design I
- ELEC 495 - Electrical Engineering Senior Design II
- ELEC 498/898 - Special Topics in Electrical Engineering IV
- ELEC 911 - Communication Theory
- ELEC 915 - Adaptive Signal Processing
- ELEC 946 - Optimal Filtering, Estimation and Prediction
- Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska, Aug. 2008 - present •
- Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska, Aug. 1999 - 2008
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska, Jan. 1993 - Aug. 1999
- Research Assistant and Instructor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, June 1988 - Dec. 1992.
- Systems Engineer, TRW Inc., Space Communications Division, June 1985-Aug. 1988. Conducted studies into both phased array antenna systems and adaptive multiple beam antenna systems and worked as a unit engineer on closed government projects
Graduate Advising and Teaching:
- Daniel White, "Low Power Analog Processing," Ph.D., Dec. 2014.
- Peter William, "Low Complexity Feature Extraction for Classification of Harmonic Signals," Ph.D., Dec 2011.
- Nathan Schemm, “A Single-Chip Ultra-Wideband Based Wireless Sensor Network Node”, Ph.D., Dec. 2010, co-advisor S. Balkir.
- Zhiqiang Lin, “CMOS Image Sensor with Focal Plane SPIHT Image Compression,” Ph.D., January 2008.
- Dongsheng Bi “State Machine Interpretation of Arithmetic Codes for Joint Source and Channel Coding,” Ph.D., August 2006, co-advisor K. Sayood.
- Boon Leng Cheong “Adaptive Array Processing Using the Turbulent Eddy Profiler,” Ph.D., May, 2005, co-advisor R. Palmer.
- Zhao Li, “Robust speech coding using microphone arrays,” Ph.D., Feb. 1998.
- Kurt Bauer, M.S., December, 2014.
- Dustin Feller, M.S., December, 2014.
- Anantha Krishna Nelliparthi, "A 2-D Processor Array for Massively Parallel Image Processing," M.S., December, 2011, co-advised with S. Balkir.
- Chris Schrage, "Isotope Identification and Source Directional Determination Using Gamma Radiation Profiling," M.S., December, 2011, co-advised with S. Balkir.
- C. Aaron Hall, “The FBLMS Adaptive Filter Applied as an Acoustic Echo Canceller on a Texas Instruments TMSC64X DSP,” May 2009.
- Dirk Neumann, “Dual Input UWB Interference Canceling Front End in CMOS,” M.S., August, 2007, co-advised with S. Balkir.
- Jing Xu, “Simulation of Coherent Radar Imaging Using ContinuousWave Noise Radar,” M.S., December, 2006.
- Daniel White, “A Low-Power Class-D CMOS Amplifier,” M.S., December 2006.
- Venkata Syam Sundar Tellabati, “Antenna Array Calibration Techniques for Atmo- spheric Imaging Radars,” M.S., August 2005, co-advised with R. Palmer.
- Lifeng Xu, “Iterative Joint Source Channel Coding Using Arithmetic Codes,” M.S., December, 2004, co-advised with K. Sayood.
- David McCreight, “The Effect of FM Discrimination Induced Phase Wraps on 4 DQPSK Signal Detection,” M.S., December 2003.
- Hui Tong, “Application of Adaptive Arrays to Atmospheric Remote Sensing,” M.S. August 2003, co-advised with R. Palmer.
- Boon Leng Cheong, “Joint Beamforming and MBE Vocoding of Noisy Speech Using a Microphone Array,” M.S. May 2002.
- EiMon Phyu, “High Quality Speech Coding,” M.S., August 2001, co-advised with K. Sayood.
- Jason S. Smith “Real-time DSP test platform for multiple microphone systems,” M.S., May 2001.
- Cenk Demiroglu, “A new technique for joint source channel coding using arithmetic codes,” M.S., December 2000, co-advised with K. Sayood.
- Gulay Ozkan, “Robust joint source channel coding of images using variable length codes,”, M.S., December 2000, co-advised with K. Sayood.
- Ramazan Kerek, “Implementation and evaluation of recursively indexed vector quantization on multiple use environmental datasets,” M.S., August 2000, co-advised with K. Sayood.
- Qianying Bao, “Multiple description image coding for noisy channels by vector quantization,” M.S., May 2000, co-advised with K. Sayood.
- Billy D. Pettijohn, “Joint source/channel coding using arithmetic codes,” M.S., April 2000, co-advised with K. Sayood.
- XiaoFeng Lu, “Calibration and evaluation of adaptive microphone arrays,” M.S., April 1998.
- Chad Pinkelman, “Real-time implementation of adaptive spatial filters,” M.S., May 1997.
- Defense Threat Reduction Agency, "Ultra-Low-Power Long Duration Programmable Remote Radiation Monitoriing Sensor Electronics," PI - S. Balkir, co-PI M. Hoffman.
- Department of Energy, "All Solid-State Wireless Sensor Network for Nuclear Proliferation Detection," PI - S. Balkir, co-PI M. Hoffman
- Army Research Office, “Atmospheric Boundary Layer Structure and Dynamics Re- vealed Through Adaptive Imaging Techniques,” PI - R. Palmer, co-PI M. Hoffman.
- Other funded projects include funding from the Whitaker Foundation and National Science Foundation as sole PI, and the Air Force Office of Scientific Research as co-PI.
Selected Peer Reviewed Journal Publications in print:
- N. Schemm, S. Balkir, M.W. Hoffman, A 4μW CMOS Front End for Particle Detec- tion Applications, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 57, No.2, pp. 100-104, Feb., 2010.
- J. Xu, M. W. Hoffman, B. L. Cheong, and R. D. Palmer “Simulation of Coherent Radar Imaging Using Continuous Wave Noise Radar, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, Vol. 26, Iss. 9, pp. 1956-1967, Sept., 2009, DOI: 10.1175/2009JTECHA1194.1
- Q. Hu, Z. Liang, and M. W. Hoffman “Detecting Source Regions of Intraseasonal Oscillations in the Tropical Atmosphere by Applying Beamforming to Interpolated Data Grids, Journal of the Atmospheric Science, Vol. 26, Iss. 2, pp. 270-280, Feb. 2009, DOI: 10.1175/2008JTECHA1121.1.
- Z. Lin, M. W. Hoffman, N. Schemm, W. D. Leon-Salas, and Sina Balkir “A CMOS Image Sensor for Multi-level Focal Plane Image Decomposition,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems - I, Vol. 55, Iss.. 9, pp. 2561-2572, Oct. 2008, doi:10.1109/TCSI.2008.920094
- B. L. Cheong, T.-Y. Yu, R. D. Palmer, K.-F. Yang, M. W. Hoffman, S. J. Frasier, and F. J. Lopez-Dekker, “Effects ofWind Field Inhomogeneities on Doppler Beam Swinging Revealed by an Imaging Radar,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, Vol. 25, pp 1414-1422, August, 2008.
- D. K. Neumann, M. W. Hoffman and S. Balkir “Dual-Antenna RF CMOS Front- End for Interferer Removal in Ultra-Wideband Systems,” Circuits Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 27, Number 3, pp. 381-390, DOI: 10.1007/s00034-008-9029-8, June, 2008.
- D. Leon, S. Balkir, K. Sayood, N. Schemm, and M. W. Hoffman, “A CMOS imager with focal plane compression using predictive coding,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 42, No. 11, pp. 2555-2572, Nov. 2007.
- B. L. Cheong, M. W. Hoffman, R. D. Palmer, S. J. Frasier, and F. J. L´opez-Dekker, “Phased Array Design for Biological Clutter Rejection: Simulation and Experimental Validation,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, Vol. 23, Issue 4, pp. 585-598, April 2006.
- B. L. Cheong, M. W. Hoffman, R. D. Palmer, S. J. Frasier, and F. L. Dekker, “Pulse Pair Beamforming and the Effects of Reflectivity Field Variations on Imaging Radars,” Radio Science, 39, RS3014, doi:10.1029/2002RS002843, 2004.
- B.D. Pettijohn, M.W. Hoffman, and K. Sayood. “Joint source/channel coding using arithmetic codes,” IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 826-836, May 2001.
- M.W. Hoffman, Z. Li, and D. Khataniar, “GSC-based spatial voice activity detection for enhanced speech coding in the presence of competing speech”, IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 175-179, February, 2001.
- M.W. Hoffman and K.M. Buckley. “Robust time-domain processing of broadband acoustic data”. IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, vol.3, pp. 193- 203, May. 1995.
- M.W. Hoffman, T. Trine, K.M. Buckley, and D.J. Van Tasell. “Robust microphone array processing for hearing aids: Realistic speech enhancement predictions”. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol.96, pp. 759-770, Aug. 1994.
Books and Book Chapters:
- D. Bi, M.W. Hoffman, and K. Sayood “Joint Source Channel Coding Using Arithmetic Codes,” 77 pages, (doi:10.2200/S00222ED1V01Y200911COM004), Morgan-Claypool Inc., 2009.
- M.W. Hoffman, “Lossless bi-level image compression,” in Lossless Compression Handbook , edited by K. Sayood, Academic Press, Inc., 2003.
- M.W. Hoffman, “JPEG-LS standard for lossless and near-lossless image compression,” in Lossless Compression Handbook, edited by K. Sayood, Academic Press, Inc., 2003.
- M.W. Hoffman and K. Sayood, “Still image compression,” in Multimedia Communications: Directions and Innovations, edited by J.D. Gibson, Academic Press, Inc., August, 2000.