- March 2022: Dr. Song joins the editorial board of Frontiers in Microbiology (specialty section: Systems Biology) as Associate Editor.
- January 2022: A Frontier's e-book edited by Dr. Song and colleagues is avaialble here for downloading: this e-book compiles all articles published in the Researh Topic: Predictive Modeling of Human Microbiota and their Role in Health and Disease.
- 13 January 2022: Hugh McCullough completed his Ph.D. candidacy exam - congratulations Hugh!
- 13 - 17 November 2021: Dr. Song visits Korea to give invited talks on the use of AI Modeling for microbial ecology and drug discovery at multiple universities and institutues: Hanyang University, Korea University, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology (KRICT), and LG Chem Science Park.
- Steve Zhang joins the Song Lab through the Ph.D. Program in Complex Biosystems from August 2021
- Dr. Song serves as a committee member of 2021 Metabolic Pathway Analysis being held at University of Tennessee, Knoxville, August 2-6, 2021; See the program to check with presentations from Dr. Firnaaz Ahamed, Aimee Kessell, and Naeun Lee as well as Dr. Song
- Dr. Song is teaching an online course on Data-Driven Modeling at Korea University International Summer Campus (KU ISC) (July 12 to August 5, 2021)
- Dr. Firnaaz Ahamed has been accepted as one of the 25 students/postdocs to participate in the breakout group tutorial sessions of the virtual Multi-omics Modeling of Biochemical Pathways Summer School being held July 12-16, 2021
- Aimee Kessell receives admission to participate in the Preparing Future Faculty Program in summer 2021
- Dr. Ab Rauf Shah joins the Song group as a post-doctoral researcher from May 2021
- Aimee Kessell is giving an invited talk at 2021 Biological System Sciences Division Principal Investigators' Meetings (Feb 22-24, 2021) on the following topic: "Metabolic Network and Metabolomics Integration to Predict the Shifts in Microbial Processes across Globally-Distributed River Corridors"; Dr. Song presents a poster on "Prediction of Spatial Assemblies in Soil Microbiomes Governed by Interspecies Interactions and Environmental Gradients" at the same meeting (click here for the full agenda)
- Firnaaz Ahamed joins the Song Lab as a postdoctoral researcher (February 2021)
- Naeun Lee comes back to the Song Lab to start a new career as a master student in BSE (January 2021)
- 2020 Multiscale Microbial Dynamics Modeling Course is now on KBase (visit the Course Page and Post on KBase; see also the highlights of the contribution from the Song Lab in EMSL Blog)
- Aimee Kessell gives an oral presentation at 2020 Virtual AGU Fall Meeting (10 December; Metabolic Network Modeling and Metabolomics Integration for Comparative Analysis of Biogeochemical Reactions in Multiple River Systems); Dr. Song gives an invited poster presentation at the same conference (14 December; Machine Learning-based Metabolic Network Modeling for Omics-integrated Biogeochemical and Reactive Transport Simulations)
- Dr. Song gives an invited talk at the Virtual Research Meeting: Principles of Microbial Ecosystems, 21 November, 2020 (Prediction of condition-specific metabolic responses of soil microbiomes through multi-omics and model integration)
- Dr. Song and Aimee Kessell give oral presentations at 2020 Virtual AIChE Annual Meeting (Kessell: 19 November, Integration of Metabolic Network and Data-Driven Modeling to Predict Context-dependent Microbial Interactions; Song: 19 November, Deep Learning Prediction of Interspecies Interactions from Self-Organized Spatiotemporal Patterns of Co-Evolving Organisms).
- Steve Zhang at UCSD starts the internship in the Song lab from November 2020.
Dr. Song is hosting the seminar by Dr. Thomas Metz from Pacific Northwest National Laboratory arranged as part of UNL's Biotechnology / Life Sciences Seminar Series: Shifting the metabolomics paradigm: use of computationally predicted metabolite reference data for comprehensive metabolite identification, October 21, 2020
- Dr. Song gives a talk in the virtual Round Table Discussion at Microverse Conference, September 3, 2020
The research team Dr. Song joins as a co-PI won a Collabortion Initiative Grant Award: Copper in Lipid Metabolism and Energy Homeostasis (July 2020 to June 2022, PI: Dr. Jaekwon Lee)
Bingjun Zhu joins the group to work as an undergraduate researcher for Fall Semester 2020
- Dr. Song is giving lectures at Multiscale Microbial Dynamics Modeling Summer School hosted by EMSL and PNNL SBR group, July 6 - 10, 2020; Aimee Kessell is selected to participate in the same event.
- Naeun Lee joins the group for the internship from March to September, 2020
- Dr. Shin Haruta from Tokyo Metropolitan University is visiting our group for collaboration, March 9 - 11, 2020
- Dr. Song is hosting Dr. Neslihan Taş' visit from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory for a seminar at the Nebraska Center for Biotechnology arranged as part of UNL's Biotechnology / Life Sciences Seminar Series: Deep look into deep soils: Microbial ecology and carbon cycling below the rooting zone, , February 12, 2020
- Dr. Song is hosting Dr. Stephen Lindeman's visit from Purdue University for a seminar at the Nebraska Food for Health Center: Fiber structure controls on the structure and function of gut microbiota, February 7, 2020
- Dr. Jahangeer joins the group as a a postdoctoral researcher, January, 2020
- Huidong Xu joins the group to work as an undergraduate researcher for Spring September 2020
- Aimee Kessell officially starts a PhD student position in the Song group from January 2020.
- Dr. Song is giving an invited talk at AGU Fall Meetng 2019, San Francisco, CA, December 9 - 13 , 2019: Multi-omics Integration for Substrate-Explicit Biogeochemical Modeling and More
- Dr. Song is participating in Community Watershed Workshiop to give an invited talk at PNNL, Richland, WA, September 11-12, 2019: Substrate-Explicit Modeling
- Aimee Kessell and Michael Tross join the group from PhD Program in Complex Biosystems for research during Fall Semeter 2019