Professional Memberships:• American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
• International Society of Indoor Air Quality and Climate
- Ph.D. Architectural Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
- M. S. Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, USA
- M.Eng. & B.Eng. (Hons) Building Services Engineering (w/ distinction and 1st Class Honours) The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
A recently completed project funded by EPA
The short title of this project is "School Environmental Effects on Student Achievement” with an acronym – “SEESA”. Started in Nov. 2014 ended in Nov. 2019.
Here is the website of this project from our team: https://engineering.unl.edu/healthy-schools/
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Building sustainability
- Indoor air quality
- occupant’s comfort and performance in indoor environments
- Energy efficiency of ventilation systems
- Energy simulations; Air flow modeling
- Renewable energy
- Air cleaning technology
- Infection controls
- School and hospital ventilation
Assistant Professor, Architectural Engineering, Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction (DSAEC), University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering (August 2009 – July 2015)
- AE 8116 – “Indoor Air Quality Engineering”
- AE 9180 – “Indoor Environmental and Energy Modelling”
- AE 8010/8020 --“Graduate Design Project”
- AE 3100 – “HVAC fundamentals”
- MENG 2000 – “Thermodynamics”
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Department of Architectural Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University (2008)
Full-time Industrial Experience:
- Acron International Technology Ltd. , Assistant Engineer (summer, 2002)
- Hong Kong Land Properties Management Co., Summer Trainee (summer, 2001)
- Hong Kong Electrical and Mechanical Services Department, Summer Trainee (summer 2000)
Honors and Awards
- ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) 2015
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering – "Henry Y Kleinkauf Family Distinguished New Faculty Teaching Award" (University of Nebraska), 2013
- Architectural Engineering 2011 Mentoring Award (University of Nebraska), 2011
- Alumni Association Dissertation Award (The Pennsylvania State University) 2009
- ASHRAE Grant-in-Aid (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) 2007-2008
- Kissinger Fellowship (The Pennsylvania State University) 2005-2006
- Outstanding Student (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2001-2002
- Ryoden Scholarship (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2000-2001
- Kai Chong Tong Scholarship (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 1999-2000
- Chinese Speech competition - Merit (Hong Kong Speech Festival) 1997
- Service and Responsibility Awards (Holy Family Canossian College) 1996-1997
- Journal Editorships - Deputy Editor (2013) and Regional Editor (2014-Present) for Indoor and Built Environment (I+BE); Associate Editor (2012 - 2015) for Journal of Architectural Engineering (JAE)
- Reviewers for journals - Journal of Architectural Engineering; Indoor and Built Environment; Energy and Buildings; Building and Environment; Energy; Indoor Air; Building Simulation: An International Journal; HVAC&R; International Journal of Building, Urban, Interior and Landscape Technology: BUILT
Externally Funded Research Grants
- “Low-cost Biological Odor Treatment Using an Adsorption/Desorption Concentrator Unit for Reducing Sulfur Emission in Nebraska” (May. 2019 – May. 2020); Sponsor: Nebraska Environmental Trust (NET); PI: B. Dvorak, Co-PIs: J. Lau, A. Hassan; Amount: $97,662
- “Evidence-Based Interactions between Indoor Environmental Factors and Their Effects on K-12 Student Achievement” (November 2014 – October 2018); Sponsor: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA); PI: L. Wang ; Co-PIs: J. Lau , J. Bovaird , and C. Waters; Amount: $ 998,433
- “Passively Cooled Data Center Validation Research” (Dec. 2013 – Dec 2014); Sponsor: Henningson, Durham and Richardson, Inc. (HDR Engineering); PI: J. Lau; Co-PIs: T. Hemsath, S. Bhowmick; Amount: $ 65,000
- “Energy Compliance and Measurement” (Jan. 2013 – May. 2013); Sponsor: Nebraska Energy Office (NEO); PI: T. Hemsath; Co-PIs: J. Lau, J. Goedert, and T. Wentz; Amount: $16,605
- “RP-1462: Active Mechanisms for Enhancing Heat and Mass Transfer in Sorption Fluids ” (Dec. 2012 – Nov 2014); Sponsor: American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE); PI: J. Lau ; Co-PI: Y. Yu; Amount: $143,168
- “Residential Ventilation Testing and Analysis” (May 2013 – April 2014); Sponsor: ASHRAE; PI: J. Lau; Amount: $3,880
- “Air Flow Technology Development” (Jan. 2012 – July 2012); Sponsor: Bes-Tech, Inc; PI: J. Lau; Sponsor Amount: $46,336
- "ECO24/7 Study Proposal for the Mahoney Building at the Metro Community College South Omaha Campus” (June 2011 – December. 2011); Sponsor: Omaha Public Power District (OPPD); PI: J. Lau; Sponsor Amount: $17,700
- “ECO24/7 Study Proposal for Building 10 at Metro Community College South Omaha Campus” (July 2011 – September 2011); Sponsor: Omaha Public Power District (OPPD); PI: J. Lau ; Amount: $12,800
- “CO2-based Demand Control Ventilation (DCV) of Multiple-zones in a LEED Building” (May 2011 – April 2012); Sponsor: ASHRAE; PI: J. Lau; Amount: $5,000
- “RP-1547: CO2-Based Demand Controlled Ventilation for Multiple Zone HVAC Systems” (September 2010 – November 2013) ; Sponsor: ASHRAE; PI: J. Lau ; Co-PI: G. Yuill; Amount: $112,829
Internally Funded Research Grants
- “The performance of air disinfection technology for minimizing biological contaminants, airborne infection risk and sick-leave in buildings” (July 2011 – June 2013); Sponsor: Durham School Faculty Seed Grant; PI: J. Lau ; Co-PI: Shawn Gibbs; Sponsor Amount: $33,302
- “The performance of air disinfection technology for minimizing biological contaminants, airborne infection risk and sick-leave in schools” (July 2011 – June 2012); Sponsor: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Layman Award; PI: J. Lau; Sponsor Amount: $9,999
* indicates student lead author
S. Deng and J. Lau (2019) "Seasonal Variations of Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Conditions and Their Correlations in 220 Classrooms in the Midwestern United States” Building and Environment, Vol 157, 79-88.
S. Deng and J. Lau (2019) “Do Heating and Cooling Indoor Conditions have Different Influences on Student Absenteeism? The Adverse Associations of Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Comfort Conditions on Student Illness Related Absenteeism in 85 Elementary Classrooms in The Midwestern United States” Proceedings of Healthy Buildings 2019, October 2019, Changsha, China
Grosskopf, K. Mousavi, E. and J. Lau. “Applications for Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) in Hospital Isolation Anterooms,” Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on the Built, Natural, and Social Environments: Impacts on Exposures, Health and Well-Being. International Societies of Exposure Science (ISES) and Indoor Air Quality and Climate (ISIAQ). Kaunas (Lithuania), August 2019
*A. Kabirikopaei, M. Kuhlenengel, A. Arthur, J. Bovaird, J. Lau, C. Waters, and L. M. Wang (2019) “The effects of indoor environmental factors on students' academic achievement” 2019 AEI Conference, Tysons, VA; 3-5 April 2019.
C, Su and J. Lau (2018) “A Field Test of Decay Rates of Fluorescent Bioaerosols in Elementary School” Proceeding of Indoor Air 2018, Philadelphia, PA; 23-26 July 2018.
J. Lau and A. Kabirikopaei (2018) “Uncertainty Analysis of Various CO2-Based Methods for Estimating Ventilation Rates in Occupied and Unoccupied Classrooms” Proceeding of Indoor Air 2018, Philadelphia, PA; 23-26 July 2018.
S. Deng, J. Lau (2018) “Preliminary Results: Different Indoor Classroom Conditions during Different Seasons in the U.S. Midwestern Region and their Associations with Student Absenteeism” Proceeding of Indoor Air 2018, Philadelphia, PA; 23-26 July 2018.
C. Su, J. Lau, and Fang Yu, (2017) “A Case Study of Upper-Room UVGI in Densely-Occupied Elementary Classrooms by Real-Time Fluorescent Bioaerosol Measurements” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2017, 14(1), 51
J. Lau, S. Deng, H. Lester, J. Bovaird, L. Wang, and C. Waters (2016) "Do the Students in High-Performance Incentive (HPI) Schools Demonstrate More Academic Improvement Than Their Peers in Non-HPI Schools?" IAQ 2016; Alexandria, VA; 12-14 September 2016.
Z. Shen, Y. Yu and J. Lau (2016) “Experimental setup and methodology on active mechanisms for enhancing heat and mass transfer in sorption fluids- RP 1462” ASHRAE Transactions, Vol. 122, Part 2
X. Lin and J. Lau, (2016) “Multiple-Zone VAV Systems Buildings Applying Demand- Controlled Ventilation” ASHRAE Journal, (January issue), 30-34
Y. Li, B. Zhang, J. Lau, and M. Liu, (2016) “Low Evaporator Airflow Detection Using Fan Power for Rooftop Units” ASHRAE Transactions, Volume 122, Part 2
- * C. Su, J. Lau, and S.G. Gibbs (2016) “Student Absenteeism and the Comparisons of Two Sampling procedures for Culturable Bioaerosol Measurement in Classrooms with and without Upper-room Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Devices.” Indoor and Built Environment, Vol 25(3), 551-562
- * Y. Li, M. Liu, J. Lau, and B. Zhang, (2015) “A Novel Method to Determine the Motor Efficiency under Variable Speed Operations and Partial Load Conditions” Applied energy, Vol 144, 234-240
- * Y. Li, M. Liu, and J. Lau, (2015) “Development of a variable speed compressor power model for single-stage packaged DX rooftop units” Applied thermal Engineering, Vol 78, 110-117
- * C.Su, J. Lau, and S.G. Gibbs, (2015) “Evaluation of Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation in Reducing the Airborne Cultural Bacteria Concentrations in an Elementary School in the Midwestern United States” Journal of Environmental Health, Vol. 77(9):16-21
- * X. Lin and J. Lau, (2015) “Demand Controlled Ventilation for multiple zone HVAC systems: part 2 - CO2-based dynamic reset with zone primary airflow minimum setpoint reset (1547-RP)” Science and Technology for the Built Environment, Vol. 21(8), 1100-1108
- * X. Lin and J. Lau, (2014) “Demand Controlled Ventilation for multiple zone HVAC systems: CO2-based dynamic reset (1547-RP)” HVAC&R, Vol 20(8), 875-888
- * A. Behfar, Z. Shen, J. Lau, and Y. Yu (2014) “Heat and mass transfer enhancement potential for absorption equipment via a literature review (1547-RP)” HVAC&R, Vol. 20 (5), 570-580
- * S. Deng, J. Lau, and J-W. Jeong (2014) “Do all System Configurations Provide Same Benefits of Dedicated Outdoor Air Systems (DOAS)?” ASHRAE Journal,Vol. 56(7), 52-57.
- * X. Lin, J. Lau, and G. Yuill, (2014) “Evaluation on the validity of the assumptions underlying CO2-based demand-controlled ventilation (1547-RP)” ASHRAE Transactions, Vol. 120 (1), 81-93
- * B. Zhang, Y. Li, J. Lau, and M. Liu, (2014) “Demand Control Ventilation: Influence of Terminal Box Minimum Airflow Setting on System Energy Consumption” Energy and Building, Vol. 79, 173-183
- * Y. Li, M. Liu, J. Lau, and B. Zhang, (2014) “Experimental Study on Electrical Signatures of Common faults for Packaged DX rooftop units” Energy and Building, Vol. 77, 401-415
- * H. Yang, Y. Shi, J. Lau, and T. Zhang, (2014) “An Optimal Control Strategy Based on Virtual Flow Measuring for Variable Flow Primary Pumping” HVAC&R, Vol. 20(4), 411-423
- *C. Su, J. Lau and S. Gibbs, (2014) “A Field Test to Performance of Upper-room UVGI in Elementary School” Proceedings of Indoor Air 2014, Hong Kong SAR, China, July 7-12, 2014.
- *C. Su, J. Lau and F. Yu, (2014) “Applying Real-time Bioaerosol Monitor to Evaluate Upper-room UVGI in Classroom” Proceedings of Indoor Air 2014, Hong Kong SAR, China, July 7-12, 2014.
- *S. Deng, and J. Lau, (2014) “Energy Simulation of Different DOAS System Configurations among different Climates” Proceedings of Indoor Air 2014, Hong Kong SAR, China, July 7-12, 2014.
- *X. Lin, and J. Lau (2014) “CO2-based dynamic reset of outdoor airflow rate for multiple zone HVAC systems” Proceedings of Indoor Air 2014, Hong Kong SAR, China, July 7-12, 2014.
- J. Lau, (2013). “CO2-Based Demand Controlled Ventilation for Variable Air Volume Systems Serving Multiple Zones”. Indoor and Built Environment, Vol 22(5), 721-723. Editorial Note.
- J. Lau, and D. Stanke, (2012) “DCV for Multizone VAV” ASHRAE Journal - IAQ Applications, Vol 54 (8)
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, R. Mistrick and D. Kompare, (2012) “Ultraviolet irradiance measurement and modeling for evaluating the effectiveness of in-duct ultraviolet germicidal irradiation devices” HVAC&R Research, Vol 18(4), 626-642
- *H. Brink, J. Lau, and X. Lin (2012) “Evaluation of a Demand Controlled Ventilation Strategy for a Multizone Campus Building” Proceedings of High Performance Buildings 2012, West Lafayette, IN, USA, paper 3544, July 16-19, 2012.
- *X. Lin, and J. Lau, (2012)“Simulation-based Validation of A CO2-based Demand Controlled Ventilation Control Logic for Multiple-Zone VAV System” Proceedings of Healthy Building 2012, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, July 8-12, 2012.
- *C. Su, and J. Lau, (2011) “Review of air cleaning technologies in ventilation system for bio-aerosols” Proceedings of Indoor Air 2011, Austin, Texas, USA, June 5-10, 2011.
- *X. Lin, and J. Lau, (2011) “Three Types of Demand-Controlled Ventilation Logic in a Single Zone System with Transient Analysis” Proceedings of Indoor Air 2011, Austin, Texas, USA June 5-10, 2011.
- J. Lau, and D. Kompare1, (2010) “Effectiveness of the In-duct Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Devices with Two Modeled Lamp Configurations” Proceedings of IAQ 2010, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, November 10-12, 2010.
- *C. Luke and J Lau, (2010) “Case Studies on Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Comfort in Two Portable Classrooms in Winter” Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality, Ventilation and Energy Conservation in Buildings, Syracuse, New York, USA
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2009) "Estimating the effects of ambient conditions on the performance of UVGI air cleaners", Building and Environment, Vol. 44 (7), 1362-1370
- Bahnfleth, W., J. Lau, P. Kremer, D. Clark, J. Freihaut. September 2008. Emerging Filter & UV Devices for Energy Efficient IAQ in Commercial Buildings-Penn State Laboratory Upgrades and Testing Activities Task 05-02.3. Report to National Center for Energy Management and Building Technologies. 123 pages.
- W. Bahnfleth, J. Lau, and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Wind Chill Effects on Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps" ASHRAE - IAQ Applications, Vol. 9 (4).
- S. Martin, C. Dunn, J. Freihaut, W.Bahnfleth, J. Lau, A. Nedeljkovic-Davidovic, (2008) "Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Current Best Practices" ASHRAE Journal, 50(8), 28-36
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Investigation of surface temperature distributions of UVC lamps under variable flow conditions using infrared camera measurements" Proceedings of Indoor Air 2008, Aug, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth, R. Mistrick, P. Kremer and J. Freihaut, (2008) "Modeling and measurement of the irradiance distribution in an in-duct UVGI Device" Proceedings of Indoor Air 2008, Aug, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth and J. Freihaut, (2007) "Predicted performance of in-duct UVGI systems under variable operating conditions," Proceedings of IAQ 2007, Oct, Baltimore, MD, USA
- J. Lau, W. Bahnfleth and J. Freihaut, (2007) "Estimating the effects of ambient conditions and aging on the performance of UVGI air cleaners," Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality, Ventilation and Energy Conservation in Buildings, Oct, Sendai, Japan
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2007) "Floor-supply displacement ventilation for workshops," Building and Environment, 42(4), 1718-1730.
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2006) "Energy analysis for workshops with floor-supply displacement ventilation under U.S. climates," Energy and Buildings, 38(10), 1212-1219.
- J. Lau. and Q. Chen, (2005) "Impact of air supply and exhaust conditions on room air distribution with floor-supply displacement ventilation," Proceedings of Indoor Air 2005, Vol. I(2), 1391-1396, Beijing, China.
- J. Lau, J.L. Niu, (2003) "Measurement and CFD simulation of temperature stratification of an atrium with floor level air supply method", Indoor + Built Environment. Vol. 12, 265-280