NH 121B (City Campus)
Personal Links:• Nebraska Acoustics Group (NAG)
• UNL Healthy Schools Project
• UNL Restaurant Acoustics Project
Professional Memberships:• Acoustical Society of America
• UN-ASA Student Chapter
• Institute of Noise Control Engineering
• American Society for Engineering Education
• Society of Women Engineers
Charles W. and Margre H. Durham Distinguished Professor
- Ph.D. in Acoustics, Pennsylvania State University
- B.S.E. in Civil Engineering with Certificate in Architecture, Princeton University
- PhD, PE, INCE Board Certified, FASA
As Director of the Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction, I am excited to be working with our faculty, staff, students, and alums to improve the design, construction, and operation of buildings and other infrastructure, with increasing focus on high-performance infrastructure, sustainability, occupant comfort and well-being, and/or safety.
The Winter 2021 issue of Acoustics Today (published by the Acoustical Society of America) includes an "Ask An Acoustician" essay that features my career and work, arranged by Associate Editor Micheal Dent.
Get an inside look at the Nebraska Acoustics Group Lab (PKI Room 210) and Acoustics Testing Chamber (PKI Room 131) through this virtual tour of the UNL Architectural Engineering Program! To experience the 360 video fully, access it through the YouTube app on your mobile device, or on Firefox or Chrome web browsers.
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Effects of Noise and Reverberation on Human Perception and Performance
- Acoustics in Occupied K-12 Classrooms
- Restaurant Acoustics: Measurements and Predictions
- Speech Comprehension and Listening Effort
- Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ): Acoustic Interactions with Indoor Air Quality, Thermal, and Lighting Conditions
- Linking Room Acoustic Subjective Perception and Objective Metrics
- Tones and Fluctuations in Noise from Building Mechanical Systems
- Computer Modeling and Auralization for Room Acoustics Prediction
- Scattering and Diffusion
- Uncertainty in Room Acoustic Measurements
- Directional Characteristics of Musical Instruments
About Lily Wang
Dr. Lily Wang is the Charles W. and Margre H. Durham Distinguished Professor of Engineering and Technology, and Director of the Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction in the College of Engineering at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Her primary research interests are in room acoustics and noise control. Her research group's work on human perception and performance in noise, classroom acoustics, uncertainty in acoustic measurements, and room acoustics computer modeling has been funded by AHRI, ASHRAE, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Institute of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Veneklasen Research Foundation.
Dr. Wang is a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA); Board-Certified by the Institute of Noise Control Engineering; a Professional Engineer licensed in Acoustics through the state of Oregon; and a recipient of the ASA Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowship, ASA R. Bruce Lindsay Award, NSF CAREER Award, and ASHRAE Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award. She has also received a number of teaching and mentoring awards, including the ASA Student Council Mentoring Award. She has served as ASA President (2018-19), Vice-President (2015-16) and Chair of the its Technical Committee on Architectural Acoustics (2004-07).
- Director, Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction (2021-present)
- Associate Dean for Faculty and Inclusion, UNL College of Engineering (2018-2021)
- Associate Dean for Graduate Programs and Faculty Development, UNL College of Engineering (2013-2018)
- Professor, Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction (2013-present)
- Program Coordinator, Architectural Engineering (2010-2013)
- Graduate Committee Chair, Architectural Engineering (2010-2013)
- Associate Professor, Architectural Engineering (2006-2013)
- BS/MAE Program Officer, Architectural Engineering (2005-2009)
- Assistant Professor, Architectural Engineering (2000-2006)
Professional Affiliations:Acoustical Society of America (ASA): Fellow (2007-present)
- President (President-Elect 2017-18; President 2018-19; Past-President 2019-20)
- Vice President (VP-Elect 2014-15; VP 2015-16; Past-VP 2016-17)
- Technical Committee on Architectural Acoustics: Member (1997-present), Chair (2004-07)
- Technical Committee on Noise: Member (2000-present)
- Women in Acoustics Committee: Member (2002-present)
- Newman Student Award Fund Advisory Committee: Co-Chair (2012-18)
- Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (JASA): Associate Editor in Architectural Acoustics (2008-14)
- Tutorials Committee: Member (2003-06), Chair (2006-14)
- Technical Committee 2.6 on Sound and Vibration: Member (2001-present), Chair (2009-11), Criteria Subcommittee Chair (2011-15)
- Technical Committee 2.1 on Physiology and Human Environment: Member (2007-present), Membership Chair (2011-15)
- Standing Guideline Project Committee-10 "Interactions Affecting the Achievement of Acceptable Indoor Environments": Voting Member (2011-15)
- INCE Board Certified (2006-present)
Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
Honors and Awards
- SWE Magazine 'Women Engineers You Should Know' (2023)
- ASHA Editor’s Award (2020) – given to the most impactful works published in ASHA Journals that meet the highest quality standards in research design and presentation: Peng, Z. and L. M. Wang. (2019) “Listening Effort by Native and Non-native Listeners due to Noise, Reverberation and Talker Foreign Accent during English Speech Perception” J. Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 62, 1068-1081.
- Acoustical Society of America Student Council Mentoring Award (2015)
- ASHRAE Distinguished Lecturer (2012-16)
- ASHRAE Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award (2012)
- ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award (2012)
- Girls Preparatory School (GPS) Margaret Rawlings Lupton Award of Excellence (2009)
- Elected to Fellowship in the Acoustical Society of America (2007)
- Acoustical Society of America R. Bruce Lindsay Award (2005)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2002-07)
- Acoustical Society of America F.V. Hunt Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (1999)
- Charles W. and Margre H. Durham Distinguished Professor of Engineering and Technology, UNL College of Engineering (2021-present)
- UNL Architectural Engineering Student Leadership and Advisory Committee (AESLAC) Award for Extracurricular Support (2014)
- UNL AESLAC Mentoring Award (2015, 2013, 2009, 2006)
- UNL AESLAC Teaching Award (2012)
- UNL University Distinguished Teaching Award, joint with College of Engineering Holling Family Master Teacher Award (2012)
- UNL College of Engineering Holling Family Senior Distinguished Teaching Award (2011)
- UNL College of Engineering Holling Family Distinguished Teaching/Advising/Mentoring Award (2009)
- UNL College of Engineering Faculty Service Award (2009)
- UNL Architectural Engineering Directors Award (2009)
- Vranek Distinguished Scholar: UNL College of Engineering Endowed Professorship at the Associate Level (2008-11)
- UNL Excellence in Graduate Education Award (2006)
- UNL College of Engineering Faculty Fellow Award (2005-07)
- “COBRE: Center for Perception and Communication in Children (CPCC)”, NIH - Subcontracted under Boys Town National Research Hospital (May 2014 – April 2024)
- “Evidence-Based Interactions between Indoor Environmental Factors and Their Effects on K-12 Student Achievement”, EPA Healthy Schools STAR Program (November 2014 - October 2019)
- “Study for Determining Bias and Reproducibility of Sound Power Test Methods within the HVACR Industry”, Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) (July 2013 – June 2019)
Refereed Journal Papers:
- Kumar, S., S. H. Underwood, J. L. Masters, N. A. Manley, I. Konstantzos, J. Lau, R. Haller, and L. M. Wang. (2023) "Ten questions concerning smart and healthy built environments for older adults"Building and Environment.
- Brill, L. C. and L. M. Wang. (2021) "Higher sound levels in K-12 classrooms correlate to lower math achievement scores” Front. Built Environ. 7:688395.
- Wang, L. M. and L. C. Brill. (2021) "Speech and noise levels measured in occupied K-12 classrooms" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 150(2), 864-877.
- Altomonte, S., J. Allen, P. Bluyssen, G. Brager, L. Heschong, A. Loder, S. Schiavon, J. Veitch, L. Wang, and P. Wargocki. (2020) “Ten questions concerning well-being in the built environment” Building and Environment.
- Lee, J. and L. M. Wang. (2020) "Investigating multidimensional characteristics of noise signals with tones from building mechanical systems and their effects on annoyance" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 147(1), 108-124.
- Peng, Z. and L. M. Wang. (2019) "Listening effort by native and non-native listeners due to noise, reverberation and talker foreign accent during English speech perception" J. Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 62, 1068-1081. 2020 ASHA Editor's Award in the JSLHR-Hearing Section.
- Lee, J. and L. M. Wang. (2018) "Development of a model to predict the likelihood of complaints due to assorted tone-in-noise combinations" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 143(5), 2697-2707.
- Lee, J. and L. M. Wang. (2017) “How tonality and loudness of noise relate to annoyance and task performance” Noise Control Eng. J. 65(2), 71-82.
- Peng, Z. and L. M. Wang. (2016) "Effects of noise, reverberation and foreign accent on native and non-native listeners’ performance of English speech comprehension." J. Acs. Soc. Am. 139, 2772-2783.
- Ronsse, L. M. and L. M. Wang. (2013) "Relationships between unoccupied classroom acoustical conditions and elementary student achievement." J. Acs. Soc. Am. 133, 1480-1495.
- Ronsse, L. M. and L. M. Wang. (2012) "Effects of room size and reverberation, receiver location, and source rotation on acoustical metrics related to source localization." Acta Acustica united with Acustica 98, 768-775.
- Vigeant, M. C., L. M. Wang and J. H. Rindel. (2011) "Objective and subjective evaluations of the multi-channel auralization technique as applied to solo instruments." Appl. Acs. 72, 311-323.
- Rathsam, J. and L. M. Wang. (2010) "Planar reflector panels with convex edges." Acta Acustica united with Acustica 96, 905-913.
- Ryherd, E. E. and L. M. Wang. (2010) "AB-10-018: The effects of noise from building mechanical systems with tonal components on human performance and perception (1322-RP)." ASHRAE Transactions, 116, Part 2, 541-552.
- Wang, L. M. and C. C. Novak. (2010) "AB-10-019: Human performance and perception-based evaluations of indoor noise criteria for rating mechanical system noise with time-varying fluctuations (1322-RP)." ASHRAE Transactions, 116, Part 2, 553-568.
- Tiller, D., L. M. Wang, A. Musser, and M. Radik. (2010) "AB-10-017: Combined effects of noise and temperature on human comfort and performance (1128-RP)." ASHRAE Transactions, 116, Part 2, 522-540.
- Bradley, D. T. and L. M. Wang. (2010) "Optimum absorption and aperture parameters for realistic coupled volume spaces determined from computational analysis and subjective testing results." J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 127, 223-232.
- Bradley, D. T. and L. M. Wang. (2009) "Quantifying the double slope effect in coupled volume room systems." J. Bldg. Acs. 16(2), 105–123.
- Vigeant, M. C., L. M. Wang and J. H. Rindel. (2008) "Investigations of orchestra auralizations using the multi-channel multi-source auralization technique." Acta Acustica united with Acustica 94, 866-882.
- Ryherd, E. E. and L. M. Wang. (2008) "Implications of human performance and perception under tonal noise conditions on indoor noise criteria." J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 218-226.
- Wang, L. M. and J. Rathsam. (2008) "The influence of absorption factors on the sensitivity of a virtual room's sound field to scattering coefficients." Appl. Acs. 69(12), 1249-1257.
- Wang, L. M. and M. C. Vigeant. (2008) "Evaluations of output from room acoustic computer modeling and auralization due to different sound source directionalities." Appl. Acs. 69(12), 1281-1293.
- Ryherd, E. E. and L. M. Wang. (2007) "Effects of exposure duration and type of task on subjective performance and perception in noise." Noise Control Engr. J. 55(3), 334-347.
- Bradley, D. T. and L. M. Wang. (2007) "Comparison of measured and computer-modeled objective parameters for an existing coupled volume concert hall." J. Bldg. Acs. 14(2), 79-90.
- Bowden, E. E. and L. M. Wang. (2007) "Verifying two commercial software implementations of impulse-response-based speech intelligibility measurements." Appl. Acs. 68(7), 717-728.
- Bradley, D. T. and L. M. Wang. (2005) "The effects of simple coupled volume geometry on the objective and subjective results from non-exponential decay." J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 118, 1480-1490.
- Bowden, E. E. and L. M. Wang. (2005) "OR-05-6-4: Relating human productivity and annoyance to indoor noise criteria systems: a low frequency analysis." ASHRAE Transactions, 111, Part 1, 684-692.
- Wang, L. M. and C. Burroughs. (2002) "Comparison of radiated power from structurally different violins." Catgut Acoust. Soc. J. 4 (6), 65-72.
- Wang, L. M. and C. Burroughs. (2001) "Acoustic radiation from bowed violins." J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 110, 543-555.
- Wang, L. M. and C. Burroughs. (1999) "Directivity patterns of acoustic radiation from bowed violins." Catgut Acoust. Soc. J. 3 (7), 7-15.
Refereed Conference Proceedings:
- Bose, B., H. B. Brotherton, T. Hopper, P. M. Oquendo, L. M. Wang, M. E. B. Webb, and H. Wilkinson. (2023) “Panel: Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Fellow Perspectives on Advancing Women and Gender Equity in Engineering – for the Next 130 Years.” Proceedings of the 2023 ASEE Annual Conference and Exhibition, Baltimore, MD.
- Kabirikopaei, A., M. Kuhlenengel, A. Arthur, J. Bovaird, J. Lau, C. Waters, and L. M. Wang. (2019) “The effects of indoor environmental factors on students' academic achievement.” Proceedings of the 2019 AEI Conference, Tysons, VA.
- Kuhlenengel, M., L. Brill, S. Deng, H. Lester, J. Bovaird, J. Lau, L. Wang and C. Waters. (2017) “An investigation of school environmental effects on student achievement.” Proceedings of the 2017 AEI Conference, Oklahoma.
- Lau, J., S. Deng, H. Lester, J. Bovaird, L. Wang and C. Waters. (2016) “Do the students in high performance incentive (HPI) schools demonstrate more academic improvement than their peers in non-HPI schools?” IAQ 2016.
- Francis, J. M., J. Lee, and L. M. Wang. (2014) "SE-14-C043: Determining annoyance thresholds of tones in noise." ASHRAE Papers CD: 2014 ASHRAE Annual Conference. Atlanta: ASHRAE.
- Wiese, C. H. and L. M. Wang. (2011) "LV-11-C031: Measured levels of hospital noise before, during, and after renovation of a hospital wing, and a survey of resulting patient perception." ASHRAE Transactions, 117, Part 2, 256-263.
- Ronsse, L. M., L. M. Wang, and C. E. Waters (2010) "Industry Participation in the Interdisciplinary Team Design Project Course of a Master of Architectural Engineering Program." ASEE Midwest Section 2010 Conference, Lawrence, Kansas.
- Ronsse, L. M. and L. M. Wang. (2010) "AB-10-C037: Effects of noise from building mechanical systems on elementary school student achievement." ASHRAE Transactions, 116, Part 2, 347-354.
- Wang, L. M. and E. E. Bowden. (2003) "Performance review of indoor noise criteria." Proceedings of the 2003 Architectural Engineering Institute Conference, Austin, TX.
- Caldas, F., F. T. De Cillo, S. H. Underwood, S. Kumar, E. V. Celeri, B. Masiero, and L. M. Wang (2023) “Measurements of classroom acoustic conditions in which young neurodiverse persons learn in Sao Paulo and Nebraska” J. Acs. Soc. Am. 153, A129.
- Krapfl, B. R., J. M. Epstein, S. H. Underwood, and L. M. Wang (2023) “Informing the acoustical privacy of mothers’ rooms with measurement data” J. Acs. Soc. Am. 153, A220.
- Underwood, S. H. and L. M. Wang (2023) “Quantifying repeatability, reproducibility, and bias in sound power level measurement methodologies via a round-robin study” J. Acs. Soc. Am. 153, A182. Young Presenter Award in Noise.
- Weeldreyer, G. S., Z. E. Peng, L. M. Wang and G. C. Stecker (2023) “Quantifying the impact of hearing aid microphone placement and head mounted devices on binaural cues from head-related transfer functions” J. Acs. Soc. Am. 153, A161.
- Wang, L. M. (2023) “Links Between Indoor Acoustic Conditions and Human Well-Being and Performance” Keynote Speaker at Healthy Buildings 2023, Aachen, Germany.
- Wang, L. M. (2023) “Seminar 36 Healthy K-12 Schools: Correlations from a Cumulative Model That Includes Acoustic, Lighting, Indoor Air Quality, and Thermal Comfort Conditions and Student Achievement” ASHRAE Winter Conference; Atlanta, GA; 4-8 February 2023.
- Hintz, D., L. M. Wang, and Z. E. Peng (2022). “Spatial release from masking in anechoic and reverberant environments” J. Acs. Soc. Am. 152, A211. Student Paper Award in Architectural Acoustics, 2nd Place.
- Wang, L. M. (2022) “Broadening participation in acoustics: Personal reflections and pathways forward” Keynote Speaker at 183rd Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Nashville, J. Acs. Soc. Am. 152, A53.
- Caldas, F., B. Maseiro, and L. M. Wang (2022). “How Classroom Acoustic Conditions May Impact Autistic Students: A Review” Inter-Noise 2022, Glasgow, UK, Glasgow, UK.
- Underwood, S. and L. M. Wang (2022). “An Inter-laboratory Study to Quantify the Repeatability, Reproducibility, and Bias of Sound Power Measurement Methods” Inter-Noise 2022, Glasgow, UK.
- Wang, L. M. (2022) “Linking Indoor Acoustic Conditions to Human Well-Being and Performance”. Keynote Speaker at Inter-Noise 2022, Glasgow, UK.
- Wang, L. M. (2022). “Relationships between Acoustics, Thermal, Indoor Air Quality, and Lighting Conditions on Student Achievement in K-12 Classrooms” Inter-Noise 2022, Glasgow, UK.
- Wang, L. M. (2022) “Tactics Implemented at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln for Growing Inclusive Excellence in Engineering” Inter-Noise 2022, Glasgow, UK.
- Anderson, V. R., G. C. Stecker, and L. M. Wang (2021). “Acoustic effects of face masks on speech: Impulse response measurements between two binaural mannikins” J. Acs. Soc. Am. 150, A248.
- Krapfl, B., J. Palakapilly, L. M. Wang, and G. Scott (2021). “Insight on the acoustics in restaurants from combined analyses of logged sound levels, occupancy, and customer responses” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 150, A161.
- Underwood, S. and L. M. Wang (2021). “Applications of Building Information Modeling Software to HVAC Noise Prediction” J. Acs. Soc. Am. 150, A101.
- Paine, J. and L. M. Wang (2021) “Studying acoustical capacity and quality of verbal communication in occupied restaurants” Internoise 2021, 1645-1651.
- Wang, L. M. (2021) “Links Between Indoor Acoustic Conditions and Human Comfort and Performance” Invited Lecture for EE 838 Course, University of Campinas, Brazil; June 30, 2021.
- Wang, L. M. (2021) “Restaurant Acoustics Panel Discussion” Invited panelist, Spanish-Speaking Acousticians in the Americas Chapter of the Acoustical Society of America; May 14, 2021.
- Wang, L. M. (2020) "Relationships between Acoustic and Other Indoor Environmental Conditions on Student Achievement in Primary and Secondary Classrooms" Keynote Speaker at 1st Biennial International Conference on Acoustic and Vibration.
- Wang, L. M. (2020) "The Acoustic Experience in Restaurants" Plenary Speaker at Noise-Con 2020.
- Wang, L. M. and B. Beamer (2020) “Leveraging ABET Accreditation to Promote Inclusion of Noise Control Engineering Concepts in Engineering Programs” Noise-Con 2020 (Virtual), 16-19 November 2020, 199-204(6).
- Spallino, W. and L. M. Wang (2020) “Understanding the impact of room acoustic conditions on the kurtosis levels of various noise signals” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 148, 2479(A).
- Wang, L.M., L. C. Brill, J. Nord, and J. Bovaird (2020) “Higher speech levels in K-12 classrooms correlate to lower math achievement scores” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 148, 2631(A).
- Smith, K. H., L. M. Wang and V. R. Anderson (2019) “Design features and room characteristics contributing to noise levels in restaurants” International Symposium on Room Acoustics 2019, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Young Acousticians Award.
- Smith, K. H. and L. M. Wang (2019) “Exploring the effect of ventilation type on the acoustics of primary and secondary school classrooms” International Congress on Acoustics 2019, Aachen, Germany.
- Wang, L. M. and K. H. Smith (2019)"Acoustic conditions in occupied classrooms" 26th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV26), Montreal, Canada.
- Anderson, V. R., K. H. Smith, and L. M. Wang (2019) "Distributions of reverberation time measurements from restaurants with different layouts" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 145, 1918(A).
- Smith, K. H. and L. M. Wang (2019) "Relationships between acoustical, IAQ, thermal, and lighting parameters, logged over time" 2019 AEI Conference; Tysons, VA; 3-5 April 2019.
- Wang, L. M. (2018) "E10: Can School Buildings Make Kids Healthy and Smart? Innovative Explorations and Findings by EPA's School Health Research Grantees" Greenbuild 2018, Chicago.
- Catton, A., L. M. Wang, A. K. Bosen, T. J. Vallier and D. H. Keefe (2018) "How physical versus panned sources in dry or reverberant conditions affect accuracy of localization in sound field synthesis system" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 143, 1829(A).
- Smith, K. H. and L. M. Wang (2018) "Exploring relationships between measured acoustic, lighting, and indoor air quality metrics logged in K-12 classrooms" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 143, 1894(A).
- Bliefnick, J. and L. M. Wang. (2017) “Distinguishing between varying amounts of diffusion subjectively and objectively” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 142, 2500(A).
- Farber, G. and L. M. Wang. (2017) “Analyses of crowd-sourced sound levels, logged from more than 2250 restaurants and bars in New York City” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 142, 2593(A).
- Paine, J. A. and L. M. Wang. (2017) “Analyses of sound level variations in occupied K-12 classrooms” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 142, 2543(A).
- Boyd, B. and L. M. Wang. (2017) “Comparison of frequency responses calculated across different time-windowed impulse responses for assorted types of rooms” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 141, 3777(A).
- Brill, L. C. and L. M. Wang. (2017) “Compiled acoustic and indoor environmental condition data from 220 K-12 classrooms” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 141, 3480(A). Student Paper Award in Architectural Acoustics, 1st Place