Personal Links:• Eli Sutter's group
- Ph.D., Condensed Matter Physics, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- M.Sc., Physics, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia, Bulgaria.
Looking for Ph.D. students
The Sutter group has immediate openings for PhD students interested in Novel Materials, 2D Layered Semiconductors and Materials for Energy Applications. To apply, please submit application materials (CV, brief statement of research experience/interests) to Prof. Eli Sutter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Curriculum Vitae (CV):
About Eli Sutter
My primary research interests are in Novel Materials and Materials for Energy Applications. My research focuses on two-dimensional van der Waals materials, heterostructures, and nanostructures for energy conversion and information processing. To investigate their electronic and optoelectronic properties we develop and use novel electron microscopy and nanometer-resolved electron-excited spectroscopy techniques.
Honors and Awards
2015 Battelle Inventor of the Year Award.
2015 Long Island Technology Hall of Fame: Patent of the Year, Category: Innovation in Industry.
2013 Guest Professor (1 month, November 2013): Sorbonne/Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France.
2011 Sapphire Prize, Springer and Journal of Materials Science.
2007 Scientific American 50 Award for leading Contributions to Science and Technology.
2004 American Physical Society Top Physics Discoveries of the Year.
Link to full list of publications.
- A. Castellanos-Gomez, X. Duan, Z. Fei, H. Rodriguez Gutierrez, Y. Huang, X. Huang, J. Quereda, Q. Qian, E. Sutter, and P. Sutter, "Van der Waals Heterostructures", Nature Reviews Methods Primers 2, 58 (2022).
- P. Sutter and E. Sutter, “Real-Time Electron Microscopy of Nanocrystal Synthesis, Transformations, and Self-Assembly in Solution”, Accounts of Chem. Research, special issue on “Transformative Inorganic Nanocrystals” 54, 11 (2021).
- P. Sutter, H.P. Komsa, H. Lu, A. Gruverman, and E. Sutter, “Few-Layer SnS: Controlled Synthesis, Thickness Dependent Vibrational Properties, and Ferroelectricity”, Nano Today 37, 101082 (2021).
- P. Sutter, L. Khosravi Khorashad , C. Argyropoulos, and E. Sutter, “Nanometer-Scale Electron Beam Excitation and Spectroscopy of Ultrathin, Twisted van der Waals Nanoribbon Waveguides”, Advanced Materials 33, 2006649 (2021).
- E. Sutter, J. French, S. Sutter, J. C. Idrobo Tapia, and P. Sutter, “Vapor-Liquid-Solid Growth and Optoelectronics of Gallium Sulfide van der Waals Nanowires”, ACS Nano 14, 6117 (2020).
E. Sutter, J. Wang, and P. Sutter, “Lateral Heterostructures of Multilayer GeS and SnS van der Waals Crystals”, ACS Nano 14, 12248 (2020).
- Y. Huang, P. Sutter, E. Sutter, et al., “Universal mechanical exfoliation of large-area 2D crystals”, Nature Comm. 11, 2453 (2020).
- P. Sutter, S. Wimer, E. Sutter, "Chiral Twisted van der Waals Nanowires", Nature 570, 354 (2019).
- P. Sutter, J. Wang, E. Sutter,"Wrap-Around Core–Shell Heterostructures of Layered Crystals", Advanced Materials 31, 1902166 (2019).
- P. Sutter, R. Ibragimova, H. P. Komsa, B.A. Parkinson and E. Sutter, “Ultrathin Vertical Tin Chalcogenide Heterostructures: Aligned van der Waals Epitaxy and Self-Organized Twist Superlattices”, Nature Comm. 10, 5528 (2019).
- P. Sutter, Y. Li, C. Argyropoulos, and E. Sutter, “In-situ electron microscopy of the plasmon-mediated growth of Ag nanoprisms”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 6771 (2017). (Cover)
- E. Sutter, P. Sutter, A. Tkachenko, R. Krahne, M. Arciniegas, and L. Manna, “In-Situ Microscopy of the Self-Assembly of Branched-Nanocrystal in Solutions”, Nature Comm. 7, 11213 (2016).
- E. Sutter, K. Jungjohann, S. Bliznakov, A. Courty, E. Maisonhaute, and P. Sutter, “In-situ Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of Ag-Pd Galvanic Replacement Reactions on Ag Nanoparticles”, Nature Comm. 5, 4946 (2014).
- E. Sutter, X. Tong, K. Jungjohann, and P. Sutter, “Oxidation of nanoscale Au-In alloy particles as a possible route toward stable Au-based catalysts”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110, 10519 (2013).