Personal Links:• Eli Sutter's group
- Ph.D., Condensed Matter Physics, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia, Bulgaria.
Looking for Ph.D. students
Just published in Nature: our paper on twisted chiral GeS nanowires! Check it out: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1147-x
The Sutter group has immediate openings for PhD students interested in Novel Materials and Materials for Energy Applications. To apply, please submit application materials (CV, brief statement of research experience/interests) to Prof. Eli Sutter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- In-situ, variable temperature transmission electron microscopy (TEM) studies of properties of nanoscale objects – alloy phase diagrams, solute solubility, phase transformations: melting and crystallization, oxidation, solid state reactions such as silicidation.
- Real -time TEM observations of processes in liquid environments: assembly of nanoparticles in colloids and solutions, growth processes - formation of core-shell nanoparticles & complex nanostructures, galvanic replacement reactions, protein self-assemblies, etc.
- Mechanisms of epitaxial growth and nanostructure formation. Self-assembly, self-organization of nanowires, core-shell semiconductor-graphene and metal-graphene nanoparticles and nanowires, nanostructured materials.
- 2-D materials: graphene, h-BN, metal dichalcogenides, heterostructures: epitaxy on transition metals, growth mechanism, band structure, transport properties.
- “Assembly of Ordered Carbon Shells on Semiconducting Nanomaterials”, U.S. Patent No. 7,714,317 [issued May 11, 2010].
- “Apparatus for Dispensing Material”, U.S. Patent No. 7,972,560 [issued July 5, 2011].
- “Segmented Nanowires Displaying Locally Controllable Properties”, U.S. Patent No. 8,389,387 [issued March 5, 2013].
- “Assembly of Ordered Carbon Shells on Semiconducting Nanomaterials”, S.N. 12/658.810, U.S. Patent No. 8,278,124 B2 [issued October 2, 2012].
- "Processing of Monolayer Materials via Interfacial Reactions", No. 8728433 [issued May 20, 2014].
- “Stable and Metastable Nanowires Displaying Locally Controllable Properties” No. 8890115 [issued November 18, 2014].
- “Monolayer and/or Few Layer Graphene on Metal or Metal-Coated Substrates”, No. 9006644 [issued April 14, 2015].
- “Method for synthesis of uniform bi-layer and few-layer hexagonal boron nitride dielectric films”, U.S. Patent No. 9,410,243 [issued August 9, 2016].
About Eli Sutter
My primary research interests are in Novel Materials and Materials for Energy Applications. We are using state-of-the-art in-situ transmission electron microscopy (TEM) methods for studying the properties of nanoscale objects, that is how nanomaterials behave differently from bulk materials. We perform TEM imaging in real time while processes are going on for example at high temperature. We work on synthesis/fabrication of new materials, notably core-shell nanoparticles and nanowires, whose optoelectronic properties we investigate by spectroscopy inside the TEM. We are also among the few groups that perform electron microscopy in liquid environments. Here we are interested in understanding the organization of nanoparticles in colloids and solutions, growth processes, galvanic replacement reactions, protein self-assemblies, etc.
- 2006 – May 31 2015, Scientist with permanent appointment @ Center for Functional Nanomaterials, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- 2004 – 2005, Associate Scientist @ Center for Functional Nanomaterials, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- 1999 – 2003, Assistant Professor (tenure-track) @ Department of Physics, Colorado School of Mines.
- 1997 - 1998, Postdoctoral fellow @ Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 1995 - 1996, Federal Postdoctoral Research Fellow @ Laboratorium für Festkörperphysik, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zürich, Switzerland.
Honors and Awards
2015 Battelle Inventor of the Year Award.
2015 Long Island Technology Hall of Fame: Patent of the Year, Category: Innovation in Industry.
2013 Guest Professor (1 month, November 2013): Sorbonne/Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France.
2011 Editor’s choice in Science: Ian S. Osborne, “Reflecting Atoms off Graphene” Science 16 December 2011: 1473-1475.
2011 Sapphire Prize, Springer and Journal of Materials Science.
2010 Thompson Reuters feature – Highly Cited Paper on Epitaxial Graphene.
2007 Scientific American 50 Award for leading Contributions to Science and Technology.
2004 American Physical Society Top Physics Discoveries of the Year.
1995 Swiss Federal Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- P. Sutter and E. Sutter, “Real-Time Electron Microscopy of Nanocrystal Synthesis, Transformations, and Self-Assembly in Solution”, Accounts of Chem. Research, special issue on “Transformative Inorganic Nanocrystals” 54, 11 (2021).
- P. Sutter, B. Zhang, and E. Sutter, “Single-Strand DNA-Nanorod Conjugates - Tunable Anisotropic Colloids for On-Demand Self-Assembly”, J. of Colloid and Interface Science 586, 847 (2021).
- P. Sutter, L. Khosravi Khorashad , C. Argyropoulos, and E. Sutter, “Nanometer-Scale Electron Beam Excitation and Spectroscopy of Ultrathin, Twisted van der Waals Nanoribbon Waveguides”, Advanced Materials (2020). DOI:10.1002/adma.202006649
- P. Sutter, J.C. Idrobo, and E. Sutter, “Van der Waals Nanowires with Continuously Variable Interlayer Twist and Twist Homojunctions”, Advanced Functional Mater. (2020). DOI:10.1002/adfm.202006412
- E. Sutter, J. French, S. Sutter, J. C. Idrobo Tapia, and P. Sutter, “Vapor-Liquid-Solid Growth and Optoelectronics of Gallium Sulfide van der Waals Nanowires”, ACS Nano 14, 6117 (2020).
E. Sutter, J. Wang, and P. Sutter, “Lateral Heterostructures of Multilayer GeS and SnS van der Waals Crystals”, ACS Nano 14, 12248 (2020).
- E. Sutter, J. Wang, and P. Sutter, “Surface Passivation by Excess Sulfur for Controlled Synthesis of Large, Thin SnS Flakes”, Chem. Mater. 32, 8034 (2020).
- E. Sutter, B. Zhang, and P. Sutter, “DNA-Mediated Three-Dimensional Assembly of Hollow Au-Ag Alloy Nanocages as Plasmonic Crystals”, ACS Appl. Nano Mater. 3, 8068 (2020).
- E. Sutter, J. C. Idrobo Tapia, and P. Sutter, “Synthesis and Optoelectronic Properties of Ultrathin Ga2O3 Nanowires”, J. Mater. Chem. C 8, 11555 (2020).
- Y. Huang, P. Sutter, E. Sutter, et al., “Universal mechanical exfoliation of large-area 2D crystals”, Nature Comm. 11, 2453 (2020).
- P. Sutter, S. Wimer, E. Sutter, "Chiral Twisted van der Waals Nanowires", Nature 570, 354 (2019).
E. Sutter, B. Zhang, M. Sun, and P. Sutter, “Few-Layer Germanium (II) Sulfide: Synthesis, Structure, Stability, and Optoelectronics”, ACS Nano 13, 9352 (2019).
- P. Sutter, J. Wang, E. Sutter,"Wrap-Around Core–Shell Heterostructures of Layered Crystals", Advanced Materials 31, 1902166 (2019).
E. Sutter, J. French, A. Balgarkashi, N. Tappy, A.Fontcuberta i Morral, J. C. Idrobo Tapia, and Peter Sutter, “Single-Crystalline γ-Ga2S3 Nanotubes via Epitaxial Conversion of GaAs Nanowires”, Nano Letters 19, 8903 (2019).
- P. Sutter, R. Ibragimova, H. P. Komsa, B.A. Parkinson and E. Sutter, “Ultrathin Vertical Tin Chalcogenide Heterostructures: Aligned van der Waals Epitaxy and Self-Organized Twist Superlattices”, Nature Comm. 10, 5528 (2019).
E. Sutter and P. Sutter, “Axial Heterostructures with Phase-Controlled Metastable Segments via Post-Growth Reactions of Ge Nanowires”, Chemistry of Materials 31, 8174 (2019).
- E. Sutter, J. Wang, and P. Sutter, "Nanoparticle-Templated Thickness Controlled Growth, Thermal Stability, and Decomposition of Ultrathin Tin Sulfide Plates", Chemistry of Materials 31, 2563 (2019).
- M. Shekirev, E. Sutter and P. Sutter, “In-Situ Atomic Force Microscopy of the Reconfiguration of On-Surface Self-Assembled DNA-Nanoparticle Superlattices”, Advanced Functional Materials, 1806924 (2019).
- E. Sutter, B. Zhang, S. Sutter and P. Sutter, “In-Situ Electron Microscopy of the Self-Assembly of Single-Stranded DNA- Functionalized Au Nanoparticles in Aqueous Solution”, Nanoscale 11, 34 (2019).
- P. Sutter, C. Argyropoulos, E. Sutter, “Germanium Sulfide Nano-Optics Probed by STEM-Cathodoluminescence Spectroscopy”, Nano Letters 18, 4576 (2018).
- P. Sutter and E. Sutter, “Growth Mechanisms of Anisotropic Layered Group IV Chalcogenides on van der Waals Substrates for Energy Conversion Applications”, ACS Appl. Nano Mater. 1, 3026 (2018). (Cover)
P. Sutter, B. Zhang and E. Sutter, “Damage-Free In-Situ Electron Microscopy of DNA-Mediated Nanoparticle Assemblies in Solution” Nanoscale 10, 12674 (2018).
Y. Huang, E. Sutter, L. Wu, H. Xu, L. Bao, H.-J. Gao, X.-J. Zhou and P. Sutter, “Thick layered Semiconductor Devices with Water Top-Gates: High On-Off Ratio Field-Eeffect Transistors and Aqueous Sensors”, ACS Appl. Materials and Interfaces 10, 23198 (2018).
C. Keiser, P. Sutter and E. Sutter, “Formation of Ge-GeS core-shell nanostructures via solid-state sulfurization of Ge nanowires”, CrystEngComm 20, 2193 (2018).
E. Sutter and P. Sutter, “1D wires of 2D layered materials: growth mode, stability and optoelectronic properties of germanium sulfide nanowires” ACS Appl. Nano Mater. 1, 1042 (2018).
- P. Sutter, Y. Li, C. Argyropoulos, and E. Sutter, “In-situ electron microscopy of the plasmon-mediated growth of Ag nanoprisms”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 6771 (2017). (Cover)
P. Sutter, H.-P. Komsa, A. Krasheninnikov, Y. Huang, and E. Sutter, “Luminescence of defects in the structural transformation of layered tin dichalcogenides”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 111, 262102 (2017).
- H. Chen, C. Keiser, S. Du, H-J. Gao, E. Sutter, and P. Sutter, “Termination of Ge Surfaces with Ultrathin GeS and GeS2 Layers via Solid-State Sulfurization”, Phys Chem Chem Phys 19, 32473 - 32480 (2017).
(Invited Review) X. Zhao, J. Kotakoski, J.C. Meyer, E. Sutter, P. Sutter, A. Krasheninnikov, U. Kaiser, and W. Zhou, Engineering and Modifying 2D Materials by Electron Beams, MRS Bulletin 42, 667 (2017).
- E. Sutter, and P. Sutter, “In-Situ Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of Ag-Au Galvanic Replacement Reactions”, Nanoscale 9, 1271 (2017).
- E. Sutter, P. Sutter, A. Tkachenko, R. Krahne, M. Arciniegas, and L. Manna, “In-Situ Microscopy of the Self-Assembly of Branched-Nanocrystal in Solutions”, Nature Comm 7, 11213 (2016).
- Y. Huang, Jingsi Qiao, K. He, S. Bliznakov, E. Sutter, F. Meng, D. Su, Jeremy Decker, Wei Ji, Rodney Ruoff, and Peter Sutter, “Degradation of Black Phosphorus: The Role of Oxygen and Water”, Chem. Mater. 28, 8330 (2016).
- E. Sutter, Y. Huang, H.-P. Komsa, M. Ghorbani-Asl, A. Krasheninnikov, and P. Sutter, “Electron-Beam Induced Transformations of Layered Tin Dichalcogenides”, Nano Lett. 16, 4410 (2016).
- K. Ouadahi, A. Andrieux-Ledier, J. Richardi, P-.A. Albouy, P. Baunier, P. Sutter, E. Sutter, and A. Courty, “Tuning the growth mode of single 3D silver nanocrystal superlattices via triphenylphosphine”, Chem. Mater. 28, 4380 (2016).
- H. Zang, P. Routh, Y. Huang, J. Chen, E. Sutter, P. Sutter, and M. Cotlet, “Nonradiative Energy Transfer from Individual CdSe/ZnS Quantum Dots to Single-Layer and Few-Layer Tin Disulfide”, ACS Nano 9, 10612 (2016).
- P. Sutter, S. Tenney, F. Ivars-Barcelo, and E. Sutter, “Alloy Oxidation as a Route to Chemically Active Nanocomposites of Gold Atoms in a Reducible Oxide Matrix”, Nanoscale Horiz. 1, 212 (2016).
- Y. Huang, H. Zang, J. Chen, E. Sutter, P. Sutter, C.-Y. Nam, and M. Cotlet “Hybrid quantum dot-tin disulfide field-effect transistors with improved photocurrent and spectral responsivity”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 108 (2016).
- C. Medina-Plaza, M. L. Rodriguez-Mendez, P. Sutter, X. Tong, and E. Sutter, “Nanoscale Au-In alloy-oxide core-shell particles as electrocatalysts for efficient hydroquinone detection” J. Phys. Chem. C. 119, 25100 (2015).
- Y. Huang, E. Sutter, N. N. Shi, J. Zheng, T. Yang, D. Englund, H. Gao, and P. Sutter,“Reliable Exfoliation of Large-Area High-Quality Flakes of Graphene and Other Two-Dimensional Materials”, ACS Nano 9, 10612 (2015).
- T. H. Vo, G. Perera, M. Shekirev, M. M. Pour, D. A. Kunkel, H. Lu, A. Gruverman, E. Sutter, M. Cotlet, D. Nykypanchuk, P. Zahl, A. Enders, A. Sinitskii, P. Sutter, "Nitrogen-doping induced self-assembly of graphene nanoribbon-based 2D and 3D metamaterials," Nano Lett. 15, 5770 (2015).
- E. Sutter and P. Sutter, “Determination of redox reaction rates and –orders by in-situ liquid cell electron microscopy of Pd and Au solution growth”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136, 16865 (2014).
- Y. Huang, E. Sutter, J. T. Sadowski, M. Cotlet, O. Monti, M. Neupane, R. Lake, B. Parkinson, and P. Sutter, “SnS2 – An emerging layered metal dichalcogenide semiconductor: Materials properties and device applications”, ACS Nano 8, 10743 (2014).
- E. Sutter, K. Jungjohann, S. Bliznakov, A. Courty, E. Maisonhaute, and P. Sutter, “In-situ Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of Ag-Pd Galvanic Replacement Reactions on Ag Nanoparticles”, Nature Commun. 5, 4946 (2014).
- L. Camilli, E.Sutter, and P. Sutter, “Growth of two-dimensional materials on non-catalytic substrates: h-BN/Au(111)”, 2D Materials 1, 025003 (2014).
- P. Sutter, Y. Huang, and E. Sutter, “Nanoscale Integration of Two-Dimensional Materials by Lateral Heteroepitaxy”, Nano Letters 14, 4846 (2014).
- P. Sutter, and E. Sutter, “Thickness Determination of Few-layer Hexagonal Boron Nitride Films by Scanning Electron Microscopy and Auger Electron Spectroscopy”, APL Materials 2, 092502 (2014).
- E. Sutter, F. Ivars-Barcelo, and P. Sutter, “Size-Dependent Room Temperature Oxidation of Sn Nanoparticles”, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization 8, 879 (2014).
- A. Haab, M. Mikulics, E. Sutter, J. Jin, T. Stoica, B. Kardynal, T. Rieger, D. Gruetzmacher, and H. Hardtdegen, “Evolution and Characteristics of GaN Nanowires Produced via Maskless Reactive Ion Etching”, Nanotechnology 25, 255301 (2014).
- R. Cortés, D. P. Acharya, E. Sutter, and P. Sutter, “Graphene on Ru(0001) Moiré Corrugation and Role of van der Waals Interaction in Au/graphene/Ru (0001) surfaces”, J. Phys. Chem. C 117, 20675 (2013).
- E. Koren, E. Sutter, S. Bliznakov, and P. Sutter, “Isolation of High Quality Graphene from Ru by Solution Phase Intercalation”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 121602 2013.
- K. L. Jungjohann, S. Bliznakov, P. W. Sutter, E. A. Stach, and E. A. Sutter, “In-Situ Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of the Solution Growth of Au-Pd Core Shell Nanostructures”, Nano Lett. 13, 2964 (2013).
- E. Sutter, X. Tong, K. Jungjohann, and P. Sutter, “Oxidation of nanoscale Au-In alloy particles as a possible route toward stable Au-based catalysts”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110, 10519 (2013).
- P. Sutter, P. Albrecht, X. Tong, and E. Sutter, “Mechanical Decoupling of Graphene from Ru(0001) by Interfacial Reactions with Oxygen”, J. Phys. Chem. C 117, 6320 (2013).
- P. Sutter and E. Sutter, “Microscopy of graphene growth, processing, and properties”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 23, 2617 (2013).
- E. Sutter and P. Sutter, “Size-Dependent Room Temperature Oxidation of In Nanoparticles”, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 20574 (2012).
- P. Sutter, R. Cortes, J. Lahiri, and E. Sutter, “Monolayer Graphene-Boron Nitride Heterostructures”, Nano Lett. 12, 4869 (2012).
- C. Koenigsmann, E. Sutter, R. Adzic, and S. S. Wong, “Size and Composition-Dependent Enhancement of Electrocatalytic Oxygen Reduction Performance in Ultrathin Palladium-Gold (Pd1-xAux) Nanowires”, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 15297 (2012).
- S. Bliznakov, M. Vukmirovic, L. Yang, E. A. Sutter, and R. R. Adzic, "Pt Monolayer on Electrodeposited Pd Nanostructures-Advanced Cathode Catalysts for PEM Fuel Cells", J. Electrochemical Society 159, F501 (2012).
- E. Sutter and P. Sutter, ‘Enhanced Oxidation of Nanoscale In Particles at the Interface with a Si Nanowire’, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 231602 (2012).
- C. Koenigsmann, E. Sutter, T. Fanara, R. Adzic, and S. S. Wong, “Highly Enhanced Electrocatalytic Oxygen Reduction Performance in Bimetallic Palladium Based Nanowires Prepared under Ambient, Surfactantless Conditions”, Nano Lett. 12, 2013 (2012).
- P. Sutter, C. Ciobanu, and E. Sutter, “Real-time microscopy of graphene growth on epitaxial metal films”, Small 8, 2250 (2012).