- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2008
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Kansas State University, 2003
- Experimental and computational biomechanics
- Regenerative medicine
- Cell and tissue engineering
- Medical devices
- Cardiovascular medicine, diabetes, ophthalmology, and wound healing
- MECH 325: Mechanics of Elastic Bodies
- MECH 436/836: Introduction to Continuum Biomechanics
About Ryan Pedrigi
Dr. Pedrigi explores the importance of tissue mechanics in regulating cellular behaviors and how disturbances promote cellular dysfunction that underlies disease development. The goal is to improve medicine based on this fundamental cause of disease (i.e., mechanobiology) by developing new therapies, medical devices, and prognostic indicators of disease initiation and progression. The main area of application is heart disease (atherosclerosis); additional applications include other areas of cardiovascular medicine, diabetes, ophthalmology, and wound healing.
Through more than 14 years in research, Dr. Pedrigi has developed an expertise in biomechanics and mechanobiology that is uniquely broad, tying together techniques from experimental and computational biomechanics, histology, cell and molecular biology, and imaging. His vision is to use these techniques and others, including in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, to create a multidisciplinary approach to impact the clinic.
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Materials Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2017 - Present
- Research Associate, Bioengineering, Imperial College London, 2012 - 2016
- Visiting Researcher, Bioengineering, Imperial College London, 2009 - 2012
- Research Assistant, Biomedical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2003 - 2009
- Pedrigi RM, Papadimitriou KI, Kondiboyina A, Sidhu S, Chau J, Patel MB, Baeriswyl DC, Drakakis EM, Krams R (2017) Disturbed Cyclical Stretch of Endothelial Cells Promotes Nuclear Expression of the Pro-Atherogenic Transcription Factor NF-κB. Ann Biomed Eng 45(4):898-909.
- Kis Z, Rodin T, Zafar A, Lai Z, Freke G, Fleck O, Del Rio Hernandez A, Towhidi L, Pedrigi RM, Homma T, Krams R (2016) Development of a synthetic gene network to modulate gene expression by mechanical forces. Sci Rep 6:29643.
- Antonacci G*, Pedrigi RM*, Kondiboyina A, Mehta VV, Silva R, Paterson C, Krams R, Torok P (2015) Quantification of plaque stiffness by brillouin microscopy in experimental thin cap fibroatheroma. J R Soc Interface 12(112).
- Pfenniger A, Meens MJ, Pedrigi RM, Foglia B, Sutter E, Pelli G, Rochemont V, Petrova TV, Krams R, Kwak BR (2015) Shear stress-induced atherosclerotic plaque composition in ApoE-/- mice is modulated by connexin37. Atherosclerosis 243(1):1-10.
- Pedrigi RM*, Poulsen CB*, Mehta VV, Holm NR, Pareek N, Post AL, …, Falk E, Krams R, de Silva R (2015) Inducing Persistent Flow Disturbances Accelerates Atherogenesis and Promotes Thin Cap Fibroatheroma Development in D374Y-PCSK9 Hypercholesterolemic Minipigs. Circulation 132(11):1003-12.
- Overby DR*, Zhou EH*, Vargas-Pinto R*, Pedrigi RM, Fuchshofer R, Braakman ST, Gupta R, Perkumas KM, Sherwood JM, Vahabikashi A, Dang Q, Kim JH, Ethier CR, Stamer WD, Fredberg JJ, Johnson M (2014) Altered mechanobiology of Schlemm's canal endothelial cells in glaucoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111(38):13876-81.
- Pedrigi RM, de Silva R, Mehta VV, Bovens SM, Petretto E, Krams R (2014) Thin-cap fibroatheroma rupture is associated with a fine interplay of shear and wall stress. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 34(10):2224-31.
- Lei Y*, Rajabi S*, Pedrigi RM, Overby DR, Read AT, Ethier CR (2011) In vitro models for glaucoma research: Effects of hydrostatic pressure. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:6329-6339.
- Pedrigi RM, Simon D, Reed A, Stamer WD, Overby DR (2011) A model of giant vacuole dynamics in human Schlemm’s canal endothelial cells. Exp Eye Res 92:57-66.
- Pedrigi RM, Humphrey JD (2011) Computational model of evolving lens capsule biomechanics following cataract-like surgery. Ann Biomed Eng 39:537-548.
- Pedrigi RM, Dziezyc J, Kalodimos HA, Humphrey JD (2009) Ex vivo quantification of the time course of contractile loading of the porcine lens capsule after cataract-like surgery. Exp Eye Res 89:869-875.
- Pedrigi RM, Dziezyc J, Humphrey JD (2009) Altered mechanical behavior and properties of the human anterior lens capsule after cataract surgery. Exp Eye Res 89:575-580.
- Pedrigi RM, David G, Dziezyc J, Humphrey JD (2007) Regional mechanical properties and stress analysis of the human anterior lens capsule. Vision Res 47:1781-1789.
- Pedrigi RM, Staff E, David G, Glenn S, Humphrey JD (2007) Altered multiaxial mechanical properties of the porcine anterior lens capsule cultured in high glucose. J Biomech Eng 129:121-125.
- Heistand MR, Pedrigi RM, Delange SL, Dziezyc J, Humphrey JD (2005) Multiaxial mechanical behavior of the porcine anterior lens capsule. Biomech Model Mechanobiol 4:168-177.