Kevin D. ColeProfessor Emeritus
- Ph.D., 1986 Michigan State University
- M.S., 1979 University of Minnesota
- B.S., 1977 Iowa State University
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Analytical Methods
- Additive Manufacturing
- Heat Transfer and Mass Diffusion
- Thermal/fluid sensors
- Inverse Problems
- Interpretation of Experimental Data
About Kevin D. Cole
Dr. Cole studies heat and mass transfer through analytical and semi-analytical methods, with application to manufacturing processes, inverse problems, and measurement of thermal properties. He has conducted research for Sandia National Laboratories, NASA, the Army Research Office, the Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation, and for private industry. He is co-author of a reference book on heat conduction and maintains a website called the Green's Function Library.
He led a team that developed the Exact Analytical Conduction Toolbox funded by the National Science Foundation. Dr. Cole is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), and is a registered professional engineer.
- Cole, K. D., Beck, J. V., Haji-Sheikh, A., and Litkouhi, B., Heat Conduction Using Green's Functions, 2nd edition, Taylor and Francis, New York, 2011.
- Cole, K. D., "To engineer is human: gender issues in the engineering workplace," Torch Magazine, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 10-14, 2021.
- Ҫetin, Barbaros., Kuşcua, Y. F., Ҫetin, Bariş, Tümüklüd, O., Cole, K. D., "Semi-analytical source (SAS) method for 3-D transient heat conduction problems with moving heat source of arbitrary shape," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, v. 165, doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2020.120692, 2021.
- Yavari, R., Smoqi, Z., Bevans, B., Kobir, H., Mendoza, H. Song, H., Cole, K. D., Rao, P., Part-scale thermal simulation of laser powder bed fusion using graph theory: effect of thermal history on porosity, microstructure, and recoater-crash, Materials & Design, vol. 204, 109685, doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2021.109685, 2021.
- Yavari, R., Williams, R. J., Riensche, A. Hooper, P. A., Cole, K. D., Jacquemetton, L., Halliday, H., Rao, P., Thermal modeling in metal additive manufacturing using graph theory – application to laser powder bed fusion of a large volume impeller, Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 41, 101956, doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2021.101956, 2021.
- Yavari, R., Williams, R. J., Cole, K. D., Hooper, P. A., and Rao, P., "Thermal Modeling in Metal Additive Manufacturing using Graph Theory: Experimental Validation with In-situ Infrared Thermography Data from Laser Powder Bed Fusion." ASME. J. Manuf. Sci. Eng. doi: 10.1115/1.4047619, 2020.
- Gaikwad, A., Yavari, M. R., Montazeri, M., Cole, K. D., Bian, L. K., Rao, P. K., "Toward the digital twin of additive manufacturing: Integrating thermal simulations, sensing, and analytics to detect process faults," IISE Transactions, doi.org/10.1080/24725854.2019.1701753, 2020.
- Pi, T., Cole, K. D., Zhao, Q., Zhao, W., "Investigation of Numerical Evaluation Improvement for Three-Dimensional Infinite Cylindrical Heat Conduction Problems," J. Heat Transfer, 142(4): 044501, doi.org/10.1115/1.4045796, 2020.
Cole, K. D., Yavari, M. R., Rao, P., "Computational heat transfer with spectral graph theory: Quantitative verification," Int. J. Thermal Sciences, Vol. 153, 10638, 2020.
Yavari, M. R., Cole, K. D., Rao, P., "Thermal modeling in metal additive manufacturing using graph theory," J. Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 141 (7), 071007 (May 21, 2019) doi: 10.1115/1.4043648, 2019.
- Cole, K. D., Cetin, B., Demirel, Y., “Semi-analytical source method for reaction-diffusion problems,” J. Heat Transfer, doi:10.1115/1.4038987, 2018.
- Pi, T., Cole, K. D., Beck, J. V., “Efficient numerical evaluation of exact solutions for 1D and 2D infinite cylindrical heat conduction problems,” J. Heat Transfer, vol. 139, pp 121301.1-10, 2017.
- Cole, K. D., Cetin, B., “Modeling of Joule Heating and Convective Cooling in a Thick-walled Micro-tube,” Int. J. Thermal Sciences, vol. 119, pp. 24–36, 2017.
- Cole, K. D, Beck, J. V., Woodbury, K. A. de Monte, F., "Intrinsic verification and a heat conduction database," Int. J. Thermal Sciences, vol. 78, pp. 36 – 47, 2014.
- Cole, K. D., Cetin, B., and Brettmann, L., "Microchannel heat transfer with slip flow and wall effects," AIAA J. Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol 28, No. 3, pp. 455-462, 2014.
- Tian, T., and Cole, K. D., “Anisotropic Thermal Conductivity Measurements of Carbon-fiber/epoxy Composites," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 55 pp. 6530 – 6537, 2012.
- Cole, K. D., and Cetin, B., "The Effect of Axial Conduction on Heat Transfer in a Liquid Microchannel Flow," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 54, pp. 2542-2549, 2011.