- Ph.D., 1986 Michigan State University
- M.S., 1979 University of Minnesota
- B.S., 1977 Iowa State University
- Analytical Methods via Internet
- Heat Transfer and Mass Diffusion
- Inverse Problems
About Kevin Cole
Dr. Cole studies heat and mass transfer through analytical and semi-analytical methods, with application to data analysis, inverse problems, and measurement of thermal properties. He has conducted research for Sandia National Laboratories, NASA, the Army Research Office, and the National Science Foundation, as well as for private industry. He is co-author of a reference book on heat conduction and maintains a website called the Green's Function Library.
He leads a team developing the Exact Analytical Conduction Toolbox funded by the National Science Foundation. Dr. Cole advises the UNL Aerospace Club whose student members build airplanes, rockets, and robots for national and international competitions. Dr. Cole is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), and is a registered professional engineer.
- Cole, K. D., Beck, J. V., Haji-Sheikh, A., and Litkouhi, B., "Heat Conduction Using Green's Functions," 2nd edition, Taylor and Francis, New York, 2011.
Recent Journal Papers:
- Cole, K. D., Cetin, B, Demirel, Y., “Semi-analytical source method for reaction-diffusion problems,” J. Heat Transfer, doi:10.1115/1.4038987, 2018.
- Pi, T., Cole, K. D., Beck, J. V., “Efficient numerical evaluation of exact solutions for 1D and 2D infinite cylindrical heat conduction problems,” J. Heat Transfer, vol. 139, pp 121301.1-10, 2017.
- Cole, K. D., Cetin, B, “Modeling of Joule Heating and Convective Cooling in a Thick-walled Micro-tube,” Int. J. Thermal Sciences, vol. 119, pp. 24–36, 2017.
- Cole, K. D, Beck, J. V., Woodbury, K. A. de Monte, F., Intrinsic verification and a heat conduction database, Int. J. Thermal Sciences, vol. 78, pp. 36 – 47, 2014.
- Cole, K. D., Cetin, B., and Brettmann, L., Microchannel heat transfer with slip flow and wall effects, AIAA J. Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol 28, No. 3, pp. 455-462, 2014.
- Tian, T., and Cole, K. D., “Anisotropic Thermal Conductivity Measurements of Carbon-fiber/epoxy Composites, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 55 pp. 6530 – 6537, 2012.
- Cole, K. D., and Cetin, B., The Effect of Axial Conduction on Heat Transfer in a Liquid Microchannel Flow, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 54, pp. 2542-2549, 2011.
- Cole, K. D., “Steady-periodic Heating in Parallel-plate Microchannel Flow with Participating Walls”, International J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 53, pp. 870 – 878, 2010.
- Cole, K. D., Tarawneh, C. M., Fuentes, A., Wilson, B. M., and, Navarro, L., "Thermal Models of Railroad Wheels and Bearings", International J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 53, pp. 1636 – 1645, 2010.
- Haji-Sheikh, A., Beck, J. V., and Cole, K. D., "Steady-state Green’s Function Solution in Moving Media with Axial Conduction", International J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 53, no. 13, pp. 2583-2592, 2010.
- Cole, K. D., Tarawneh, C. M., and Wilson, B., "Analysis of Flux-Based Fins for Estimation of Heat Transfer Coefficient", International J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 52, pp. 92 - 99, 2009.
- Cole, K. D., and Crittenden, P. E. "Steady-periodic heating of a cylinder", J. Heat Transfer, vol. 131, p. 091301, 2009.
- Beck, J. V, Wright, N., Haji-Sheikh, A., Cole, K. D., and Amos, D., Conduction in rectangular plates with boundary temperatures specified, International J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 51, pp. 4676 - 4690, 2008.
- Cole, K. D., "Flush-mounted Steady-periodic Heated Film with Application to Shear-stress Measurement", Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 130, no. 11, p. 111601, 2008.
- Tarawneh, C., Cole, K. D., Wilson, B. M. and Alnaimat, F., "Experiments and Models for Thermal Response of Railroad Tapered Roller Bearings", Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 51, pp. 5794 - 5803, 2008.