Accelerated Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering

This program offers exceptionally qualified undergraduate students the opportunity to enroll in graduate courses that contribute to both their bachelor's and master's degrees. By gaining an early advantage in completing their graduate coursework, students can accelerate their path to obtaining a master's degree in only one additional year.

Application and Admission Information

Eligibility Requirements

  • Current full-time UNL Civil Engineering undergraduate students with a GPA minimum of 3.0.
  • Sophomore standing or higher.
  • One or more enrollment terms remaining before bachelor's degree graduation.

Program-Specific Admission Requirements

In your application for admission to this master's program:

  • Personal Statement: Your statement should include your career goals, research interests (if applicable), relevant experience, personal qualities, and name(s) of potential graduate faculty advisors.
  • Resume/CV
  • Applicant Worksheet for Accelerated Civil Engineering (MS)
  • Application fee of $25

NOT Required

  • Letters of recommendation
  • GRE

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I apply?

As soon as you reach sophomore standing. Programs may have specific timelines; contact the program's Graduate Chair for information.

Why would a student do this?

A student can double-count up to 12 credit hours, making progress toward bachelor's and master's degrees simultaneously.

How is this different from Graduate Credit for Undergraduates?

In accelerated master's programs, graduate credit is applied to both the bachelor's and master's degrees. With general Graduate Credit for Undergraduates, the graduate course does not apply to both.

Can any undergraduate student participate?

Students must be admitted into one of the listed undergraduate programs, have a 3.0 GPA, be a current and full-time student, and have one or more terms of enrollment remaining before completing the bachelor's degree.

Do I need to meet with the graduate advisor before applying?

Consulting the master's program's Graduate Chair (named in program details above) is encouraged, but not a requirement for acceptance.

How do I prepare my application materials?

UNL Career Services provide provides support for undergraduate students applying to graduate school.

Am I billed at the graduate or undergraduate tuition rate?

Graduate credits are billed at the graduate rate. 

Does my scholarship and/or financial aid cover graduate tuition?

Contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and/or the external scholarship provider.

Am I an admitted graduate student?

Students are admitted for future entry into the graduate program, becoming graduate students after conferral of the bachelor's degree.

How will the graduate courses appear on my undergraduate degree audit?

These graduate courses will satisfy specific undergraduate course requirements, as shown in program-specific tables above.