Professional Memberships:• TRB AKM 40 Standing Committee on Asphalt Mixture Evaluation and Performance
• Chair of TRB AKM40(1) Subcommittee on Adv. Models to Understand Behavior and Performance of Asphalt Mixtures
• ASCE/EMI Mechanics of Pavements Committee
• ASEE American Society for Engineering Education
• APSE Academy of Pavement Science and Engineering
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2011
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2007
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, Federal University of Ceara, 2004
Curriculum Vitae (CV):
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Experimental characterization of infrastructure materials
- Modeling and design of flexible pavement and materials
- Multiscale microstructure modeling of composites
- Viscoelasticity and fracture damage
- Development of sustainable infrastructure solutions
- Teaching and Learning in Engineering Education
- Pavement Design and Evaluation (CIVE 472/872 - UNL)
- Bituminous Materials and Mixtures (CIVE 471/871 - UNL)
- Pavement Design and Evaluation (CIVE 15580 – UFES)
- Bituminous Materials (CIVE 15579 – UFES)
- Material Science for Civil Engineering (CIVE 07863 – UFES)
- Materials of Construction (CIVE 07863 – UFES)
- Introduction to Civil Engineering (CIVE 07885 – UFES)
About Jamilla Teixeira
Prior to joining the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Dr. Teixeira worked as an Associate Professor of Civil Engineering at the Federal University of Espirito Santo (UFES/Brazil) from September 2011 to May 2022. Dr. Teixeira obtained her Masters's and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Nebraska- Lincoln, working as a research assistant in projects funded by the National Science Foundation and the Nebraska Department of Transportation. At UFES, Dr. Teixeira was involved in projects sponsored by Brazilian funding agencies and industry sectors. She has received national recognition from Brazilian governmental agencies such as the CNPq Research Productivity Scholarship and CAPES Scholarship grant for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel. Dr. Teixeira continuously works on regional/national /international technical committees and editorial services in materials and civil infrastructure engineering.
- 08/2022-date, Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
- 02/2020-05/2022, Associate Professor, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Vitoria, Espirito Santo, Brazil
- 09/2011-08/2022, Assistant Professor, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Vitoria, Espirito Santo, Brazil
- 01/2005-06/2011, Research/Teaching Assistant, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
- The Use of Recycled Plastic in Asphalt Pavements: Feasibility Study, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)/ Nebraska Department of Transportation - NDOT, 148,484.00 USD
- Local Characterization of Unbound Materials (Soils/Aggregates) for AASHTOWare Pavement ME Design in Nebraska, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)/ Nebraska Department of Transportation - NDOT, 159,036.00 USD.
- Study of Fatigue Characteristics and Self-healing of Fine Aggregate Matrix, Espirito Santo Scientific Governmental Agency – FAPES (2021–2023, 51,054.00 BRL, PI)
- Use of Different Steelmaking Co-Products for Hot Mix Asphalt, Microsurfacing Production, and Soil Stabilization for Paving Purposes, ArcelorMittal Tubarão Steel Industry - FASE II, (2021- 2023, 189,974.03 BRL, co-PI)
- Advanced Characterization of Road Infrastructure Materials, Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel – CAPES (2018-2019, 28,380.00 USD, PI)
- Multiscale Evaluation of Asphalt Mixtures Produced with Industrial Waste, Funded by Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development – CNPQ (2018–2021, 39,600.00 BRL, PI)
- Use of Different Steelmaking Co-Products for Hot Mix Asphalt, Microsurfacing Production, and Soil Stabilization for Paving Purposes, ArcelorMittal Tubarão Steel Industry - FASE I (2018–2021, 478,000.00 BRL, co-PI)
- Soil Stabilzation with Chemical Additives, Hydrated Lime, and Portland Cement, ECO101 Highway Concessionaire (2017–2020, 2,632,550.16 BRL, co-PI)
- Experimental Evaluation of Use of Steel Slag as Aggregate in Asphalt Concrete, ArcelorMittal Tubarão Steel Industry (2016–2018, 133,636.36 BRL, PI)
- Re-Use of Flue Gas Desulphurization (FGD) Residue in Portland Concrete Applications, ArcelorMittal Tubarão Steel Industry (2016–2018, 18,700.00 BRL, co-PI)
- Multiscale Numerical Modeling to Evaluate the Mechanical Behavior of Asphalt Concretes considering Cumulative Damage associated to Viscoelasticity and Fracture, Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development – CNPQ (2015–2018, 29.820,00 BRL, PI)
R. M., Frossard, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, Y. Kim. (2022). "Effects of Aggregate’s and Filler’s Characteristics on the SCB Fracture Parameters Obtained from Asphalt Concrete Subject to Moisture Damage." Transportation Research Record, DOI: 10.1177/03611981221093329.
Y. Kim, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, S. R. Kommidi, D. N. Little, F. T. S. Aragao, L. M. Sanchez, and F. V. Souza. (2021). “Rate-dependent Fracture Modeling of Bituminous Media Using Nonlinear Viscoelastic Cohesive Zone with Gaussian Damage Function.” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, DOI: 10.1111/mice.12754.
J. P. C. Meneses, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, A. E. Alvarez, F. T. S. Aragao, M. A. Fritzen. (2021) "Exploratory Study on the Addition of Sugarcane Bagasse Fibers to Permeable Friction Course Mixtures."Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0003849.
J.Zhang, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, D. N. Little, Y. Kim. (2020). "Prediction of fatigue crack growth behavior of chemically stabilized materials using simple monotonic fracture test integrated with computational cohesive zone modeling." COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING, DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2020.108367.
B. L. R. Moura, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, R. A. Simao, M. Khedmati, Y. Kim, P. J. M. Pires. (2020). "Adhesion between steel slag aggregates and bituminous binder based on surface characteristics and mixture moisture resistance." Construction and Building Materials, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120685.
T. F. Alves, P. A. M. Pereira, R. Mota, K. Vasconcelos, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, L. Bernucci. (2020). "Three-dimensional numerical modelling of railway track with varying air voids content bituminous subballast." Road Materials and Pavement Design, DOI: 10.1080/14680629.2020.1828150.
J. A. Rodrigues, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, Y. Kim, D. N. Little, F. V. Souza. (2019). "Crack modeling of bituminous materials using extrinsic nonlinear viscoelastic cohesive zone (NVCZ) model." Construction and Building Materials, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2019.01.215.
J. E. S. L. Teixeira, A. G. Schumacher, P. J. M. Pires, V. T. F. Castelo Branco, H. B. Martins. (2019). "Expansion Level of Steel Slag Aggregate Effects on Both Material Properties and Asphalt Mixture Performance." Transportation Reseacrh Record, DOI: 10.1177/0361198119835513.
P. J. M. Pires, J. E. S. L. Teixeira, D. V. Nepomuceno, E. C. Furieri. (2019). "Laboratory and Field Evaluation of KR Slag-Stabilized Soil for Paving Applications." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0002811.
C. F. Oliveira, P. J. M. Pires, J. E. S. L. Teixeira. (2019). "Physical, mechanical, and microstructure investigation of tropical clayey soils stabilised with desulfurisation slag for pavement application." Road Materials and Pavement Design, DOI:10.1080/14680629.2019.1686052.
Use of Simplified Viscoelastic Continuum Damage Approach to Evaluate the Fatigue Performance of Asphalt Binders at the Sand Asphalt Mortar Scale , Society of Engineering Science Annual Technical Meeting, 2022.
Modeling of Fracture in Viscoelastic Solids using an Extrinsic Rate-Dependent Nonlinear Viscoelastic Cohesive Zone Model, Society of Engineering Science Annual Technical Meeting, 2022.
Effects of Aggregate/Filler Characteristics on SCB Fracture Parameters of Asphalt Concrete Mixtures Subject to Moisture Damage, Transportation Research Board (TRB) 101th Annual Meeting, 2022.
Use of Steel By-products for Geotechnical Applications, Oral presentation at ArcelorMittal Brazil Workshop, Webinar, Brazil, 2021.
Use of By-products in Asphalt Mixtures Oral presentation at Asphalt Research Network (RTA) - Petrobras Workshop , Webinar, Brazil, 2020.
Expansion Level of Steel Slag Aggregate Effect's on Both Material Properties and Asphalt Mixture Performance, Transportation Research Board (TRB) 98th Annual Meeting, 2019.
Crack Modeling of Bituminous Mixtures Using Nonlinear Viscoelastic Cohesive Zone (NVCZ): Model Calibration and Validation. Transportation Research Board (TRB) 98th Annual Meeting, 2019.
Pavement Research Group at the Federal University of Espírito Santo-Brazil and Current Collaboration with UNL/MATC. Oral presentation at MATC Webinar Series, Lincoln, NE, USA, 2019.
Desulfurization Slag as Soil Stabilizer for Roadway Application: Laboratory and Field Evaluation Using Accelerated Pavement Testing. Oral presentation at the National Slag Association Centennial Anniversary Meeting, Maryland, DC, USA, 2018.
Use of Solid Residues in Asphalt Concrete. Oral presentation at the Espirito Santo Department of Roads, Vitória, ES, Brazil, 2017.