Prem S. Paul Research Center at Whittier School (WHIT)
Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D. in Transportation Systems Engineering, Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2017
- M.S. in Transportation Information Engineering & Control, Tongji University, 2013
- B.S. in Automation (Traffic), Chang'an University, 2010
- Ph.D., P.E.
- 100% Research
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
Research Roadmap (underlined indicates research fields to expand)
- Traffic Safety and Mobility: (1) Highways: design & operation, traffic flow (capacity), congestion mitigation, left-turns, parking, vulnerable users, data collection. (2) Work zones: performance, crash modeling, traveler costs, travel time reliability, emissions, ITS, sensors, artificial intelligence. (3) Highway-rail grade crossing: gate violations, signal control preemption, optimization, CAV simulation, trespassing.
- Microscopic Traffic Modeling: (1) Driver Behavior: car-following & lane change modeling, headway distributions, near-misses, heterogeneous traffic interference, ADAS, CAV, mental health. (2) Simulation: traffic scenarios, calibration, evaluation, data source, multi-sensors, hardware-in-the-loop.
- Transportation Sustainability and Equity: (1) Alternative-fuel vehicles: safety, traffic electrification, social impact, environmental efficiency. (2) Equity: rural communities, public engagement, benefits & burdens, metrics, multi-modal transport.
Understand the Sentiment of Rural Consumers on Electric Vehicle Charging Station Deployments using Real-time Data from Mobile Platforms. Funded by Nebraska Governance & Technology Center, $19,874, 4/23 - 5/24. Role: PI
- Framework for Quantifying Benefits to Disadvantaged Communities: Application to Nebraska’s National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Plan. Funded by Nebraska Department of Transportation, $179,055, 7/23-5/25. Role: PI
- Assessment of Flashing Yellow Arrow at Traffic Signals in Nebraska. Funded by Nebraska Department of Transportation, $171,435, 7/23-5/25. Role: CoPI
- Assessment of Truck Parking Demand and Safety During Normal and Severe Weather Conditions in Nebraska. Funded by Nebraska Department of Transportation, $186,932, 7/23-5/25. Role: CoPI
- Safety and Mobility Improvement at HRGC Using Real-Time Optimized Preemption of Traffic Signal Strategies. Funded by US DOT Region VII University Transportation Center, $201,434, 9/21-4/23. Role: PI. https://rip.trb.org/view/1944006
- Performance Reliability and Safety Index for Region VII Highways. Funded by US DOT Region VII University Transportation Center, $245,116, 9/21 –2/23. Role: CoPI
- Developing a Safety Management System Including Hazardous Materials for Highway-Rail Grade Crossings (HRGCs) in Region VII. Funded by US DOT Region VII University Transportation Center, $217,792, 12/21 –12/23. Role: PI. https://rip.trb.org/view/1740394
- Evaluation of the Driveway Assistance Device (DAD) Systems in One-Lane Two-Way Work Zone. Funded by US DOT Region VII University Transportation Center, $258,016, 9/21 –9/23. Role: PI. https://rip.trb.org/view/1741272
- Intelligent Work Zone Using Automatic Queue Detection (AQD) Systems. Funded by Nebraska Department of Transportation, $159,466, 7/20 –5/22. Role: Co-PI
Estimating System and Traveler Costs Due to Lane Closures During Construction and Maintenance Operations. Funded by Nebraska Department of Transportation, $179,500, 7/20 –5/22. Role: Team Head (Postdoc)
Refereed Journal Publications (In recent 3 years)
- L Zhao, LR Rilett, C. Liu. (2023). Modeling the impact of COVID-9 interventions on interstate crash rates using comparative interrupted time series. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, DOI: 10.1061/JTEPBS.TEENG-7605.
- MS Haque, LR Rilett, L Zhao. (2023). Impact of platooning connected and automated heavy vehicles on interstate freeway work zone operations. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, 149(3), 04022160.
- MS Haque, L Zhao, LR Rilett, E Tufuor. (2023). Calibration and validation of a microsimulation model of lane closures on a two-lane highway work zone. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2677 (3): 974-990.
- L Zhao, LR Rilett, C Liu. (2023). Gate violation prediction at highway-rail grade crossings using tree-based ensemble techniques. Journal of Transportation Safety & Security, 1-20.
- L Zhao, LR Rilett. (2022). Verification and efficacy of automated queue detection systems on high-speed intelligent work zones. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 03611981221108155.
- L Zhao, LR Rilett, MS Haque. (2022). A Calibration and validation methodology for simulation models of intelligent work zones. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 21-01034R1.
- L Zhao, L Ying. (2022). Identifying origin-destination trips from GPS data – Application in travel time reliability of dedicated trucks. PROMET- Traffic & Transportation, 34(1): 25-38.
- C Liu, L Zhao, C Lu. (2022). Exploration of the characteristics and trends of electric vehicle crashes: a case study in Norway. European Transport Research Review, 14(1): 1-11.
- Y Li, L Zhao, K Gao. (2022). Revealing driver psychophysiological response to emergency braking in distracted driving based on field experiments. Journal of Intelligent and Connected Vehicles, 2022.
- L Zhao, L Rilett. (2021). Modeling violation behavior at highway-rail grade crossings using a driver anxiety surrogate measure. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, 147 (6): 04021025.
- L Zhao, L Rilett, MS Haque. (2021). Hidden Markov model of lane-changing-based car-following behavior on freeways using naturalistic driving data. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 0361198121999382.
- Y Li, L Zhao, X Zhao, K Chen. (2020). Effectiveness of trajectory similarity measures based on truck GPS data. China Journal of Highway and Transport, 33(2): 146-157.
- E Tufuor, LR Rilett, L Zhao. (2020). Calibrating the highway capacity manual arterial travel time reliability model. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, 146 (12): 04020131.