Bruce Dvorak , Ph.D., P.E.
• Nebraska Industrial Assessment Center
• Low-cost Biological Odor Treatment Using an Adsorption/ Desorption Concentrator Unit for Reducing Sulfur Emission in Nebraska
• WINSSS: A National Center for Innovative Small Drinking Water Systems (Dvorak is an Associate Director)
• American Water Works Association (Dvorak served on the Board of Directors)
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- M.S., Environmental Health Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1990
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1987
- 25% Extension
- 75% Teaching/Research/Service for Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Physical-chemical treatment processes (adsorption processes)
- Pollution prevention/environmental sustainability for industry
- Tau Beta Pi Teaching Award (2019), College-wide award selected by students.
- George Warren Fuller Award (distinguished service to the water supply field), American Water Works Association, 2013
- Fulbright Scholar Fellowship, Czech Fulbright Commission, 2010
- Samuel Arnold Greeley Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2009
- Environmental Education Award, Lincoln and Lancaster County Environmental Awards, 2009
- Hollings Teaching/Advising/Mentoring Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering, 2009
- Recognition Award for Contributions to Students, UNL Parents Association, 2008
- Olsson Associates Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, UNL Dept. of Civil Engineering, 2007, 2003, 1999
Dr. Dvorak has current grants from the US Department of Energy, US Environmental Protection Agency, and Nebraska Department of Environmental and Energy.
. Li, J.; Ziara, R.1; Li, S.1; Subbiah, J.; and Dvorak , B. (2020) “Understanding the Sustainability Niche of Continuous Flow Tubular Microbial Fuel Cells on Beef Packing Wastewater Treatment,” Accepted 2/10/2020 for publication by Journal of Cleaner Production.
. Thompson, M.1; Dahab, M. ; Williams, R.; and Dvorak, B. (2020) “Opportunities and Barriers to Improving the Energy Efficiency of Small Water Resource Recovery Facilities: Case Studies within Nebraska,” Accepted 12/31/2019 for publication in Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE.
. Duerschner, C.1; Aly Hassan; A., Dvorak, B. (2019) “Biofiltration of acetaldehyde resulting from ethanol manufacturing facilities,” Chemosphere https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2019.124982
. S. Li1; Subbiah, J. ; B. Dvorak (2019) “Environmental and occupational impacts from US beef slaughtering are of same magnitude of beef foodborne illnesses on human health,” Environment International 129, 507-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2019.05.051.
. S. Li1; S. Zhilyaev; D. Gallagher;, J. Subbiah;, B. Dvorak (2019) “Sustainability of safe foods: Joint environmental, economic and microbial load reduction assessment of antimicrobial systems in US beef processing,” Science of The Total Environment, 691, 252-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.07.064.
. Ziara, R.1;, Miller, D. ; Subbiah, J.; and Dvorak, B. (2019) “Lactate Wastewater Dark Fermentation: The Effect of Temperature and Initial pH on Biohydrogen Production and Microbial Community,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 44 (2) 661-673 doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.11.045.
. Li, S. 1; Ziara, R. 1; Dvorak, B. ; Subbiah, J. (2018) “Assessment of water and energy use at process level in U.S. beef packing industry: case study in a typical U.S. large-size plant”. Journal of Food Process Engineering, Nov. 41(8):e12919. DOI: 10.1111/jfpe.12919
. D’Alessio, M.; Dvorak, B. ; and Ray, C. (2018) “Riverbank Filtration Impacts on Post Disinfection Water Quality in Small Systems—A Case Study from Auburn and Nebraska City, Nebraska,” Water, 10, 1865, doi:10.3390/w10121865.
. Li, S. 1; Ziara, R. 1; Kinser, C.; Subbiah, J.; Dvorak. B. (2018) “Environmental and economic implications of food safety interventions: life cycle and operating cost assessment of antimicrobial systems in U.S. beef packing industry,” Journal of Cleaner Production. doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.020
. Baral, D. 1; Dvorak, B.; Admiraal, D.; Jia, S.; Zhang, C.; Li, X., (2018) Tracking the Sources of Antibiotic Resistance Genes in an Urban Stream during Wet Weather using Shotgun Metagenomic Analyses, Environmental Science and Technology, 52 (16), pp 9033–9044, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.8b01219
. Baral, D. 1; Speicher, A. 1; Dvorak, B.; Admiraal, D.; Li, X. (2018) “Quantifying the relative contributions of environmental sources to the microbial community in an urban stream under dry and wet weather conditions,”Appl Environ Microbiol 84:e00896-18. doi .org/10.1128/AEM.00896-18.
. Ziara, R. 1; Li, S. 1; Subbiah, J. ; and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Characterization of Wastewater in Two US Cattle Slaughterhouses,” Water Environment Research, (90) 9, 851-863. https://doi.org/10.2175/106143017X15131012187971.
. Hanna, S. 1; Thompson, M. 1; Williams, R. ; Dahab, M. ; and Dvorak, B.; (2018) Benchmarking the Electric Intensity of Small Nebraska Wastewater Treatment Facilities, Water Environment Research, 90(8) 738-747. doi:10.2175/106143017X15131012153176
. Ringenberg, D. 1; Kranz, W. ; Irmak, S. ; and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Extending Extension’s Outreach: Impact of Irrigation Recommendations Provided by Student Interns,” Journal of Extension, 56(4) 4TOT8. https://www.joe.org/joe/2018august/tt8.php
. Baral, D. P.1; Fisher, J.R. 1; Florek, M.J. 1; Dvorak, B. ; Snow, D. and Admiraal, D. (2018) Atmospheric Contributions of Nitrate to Stormwater Runoff from Two Urban Watersheds. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 144 (2) DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001323.
. Ringenberg, D. 1; Wilson, S. ; and Dvorak, B. (2017) “State Barriers to Approval of Drinking Water Technologies for Small Systems,” Journal of the American Water Works Association, 109 (8) E343-E352, August, https://doi.org/10.5942/jawwa.2017.109.0096.
. Kuppig, V.1; Cook, Y.; Carter, D.; Larson, N.; Williams, R.; and Dvorak, B. (2016) “Implementation of sustainability improvements at the facility level: motivations and barriers,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 139 (1529-1538) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.08.167.
. Ziari, R.1; Li, S.1; Dvorak, B.; and Subbiah, J. (2016) “Water and Energy use of microbial interventions in a beef packing plant,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 32(6) http://dx.DOI.org/ 10.13031/aea.32.11615.
. Bausk, A.1; and Dvorak, B.I. (2016) “Selecting the Column Configuration with Lowest Media Replacement Cost for Small Adsorption Systems,” Water Research, 3(93) 38-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2016.01.015
. Fisher, J.R.1; Dvorak, B.I., and Admiraal, D.M. (2015) “Pollutant Load Estimates using Regression Models with In-Stream Measurements,” Journal of Environmental Engineering, dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001049, 04015081.