Bruce Dvorak , Ph.D., P.E.
• Nebraska Industrial Assessment Center
• Low-cost Biological Odor Treatment Using an Adsorption/ Desorption Concentrator Unit for Reducing Sulfur Emission in Nebraska
• WINSSS: A National Center for Innovative Small Drinking Water Systems (Dvorak is an Associate Director)
• American Water Works Association (Dvorak served on the Board of Directors)
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- M.S., Environmental Health Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1990
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1987
- 25% Extension
- 75% Teaching/Research/Service for Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Physical-chemical treatment processes (adsorption processes)
- Pollution prevention/environmental sustainability for industry
- George Warren Fuller Award (distinguished service to the water supply field), American Water Works Association, 2013
- Fulbright Scholar Fellowship, Czech Fulbright Commission, 2010
- Samuel Arnold Greeley Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2009
- Environmental Education Award, Lincoln and Lancaster County Environmental Awards, 2009
- Hollings Teaching/Advising/Mentoring Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering, 2009
- Recognition Award for Contributions to Students, UNL Parents Association, 2008
- Olsson Associates Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, UNL Dept. of Civil Engineering, 2007, 2003, 1999
- Hollings Master Teacher Award, UNL, 2005
Dr. Dvorak has current grants from the US Department of Energy, US Environmental Protection Agency, and Nebraska Department of Environmental and Energy.
. S. Li, J. Subbiah, B. Dvorak (2019) “Environmental and occupational impacts from US beef slaughtering are of same magnitude of beef foodborne illnesses on human health,” Environment International 129, 507-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2019.05.051.
. S. Li, S. Zhilyaev, D. Gallagher, J. Subbiah, B. Dvorak (2019) “Sustainability of safe foods: Joint environmental, economic and microbial load reduction assessment of antimicrobial systems in US beef processing,” Science of The Total Environment, 691, 252-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.07.064.
. Ziara, R., Miller, D., Subbiah, J., and Dvorak, B. (2019) Lactate Wastewater Dark Fermentation: The Effect of Temperature and Initial pH on Biohydrogen Production and Microbial Community, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Accepted for publication, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.11.045.
. Li, S., Ziara, R. , Dvorak, B., Subbiah, J. (2018) “Assessment of water and energy use at process level in U.S. beef packing industry: case study in a typical U.S. large-size plant”. Journal of Food Process Engineering, Nov. 41(8):e12919. DOI: 10.1111/jfpe.12919
. D’Alessio, M., Dvorak, B., and Ray, C. (2018) “Riverbank Filtration Impacts on Post Disinfection Water Quality in Small Systems—A Case Study from Auburn and Nebraska City, Nebraska,” Water, 10, 1865, doi:10.3390/w10121865.
. Li, S. ; Ziaria, R.; Kinser, C.; Subbiah, J.; Dvorak. B. (2018) “Environmental and economic implications of food safety interventions: life cycle and operating cost assessment of antimicrobial systems in U.S. beef packing industry,” accepted for publication in the Journal of Cleaner Production. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.020
. Baral, D. ; Dvorak, B.; Admiraal, D.; Jia, S.; Zhang, C.; Li, X., (2018) Tracking the Sources of Antibiotic Resistance Genes in an Urban Stream during Wet Weather using Shotgun Metagenomic Analyses, Environmental Science and Technology, 52 (16), pp 9033–9044, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.8b01219
. Baral, D. ; Speicher, A. ; Dvorak, B.; Admiraal, D.; Li, X. (2018) “Quantifying the relative contributions of environmental sources to the microbial community in an urban stream under dry and wet weather conditions,”Appl Environ Microbiol 84:e00896-18. https://doi .org/10.1128/AEM.00896-18.
. Ziara, R. , Li, S. , Subbiah, J., and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Characterization of Wastewater in Two US Cattle Slaughterhouses,” Water Environment Research, (90) 9, 851-863. https://doi.org/10.2175/106143017X15131012187971
. Hanna, S. , Thompson, M. , Williams, R., Dahab, M., and Dvorak, B.; (2018) Benchmarking the Electric Intensity of Small Nebraska Wastewater Treatment Facilities, Water Environment Research, 90(8) 738-747. doi:10.2175/106143017X15131012153176
. Ringenberg, D. , Kranz, W., Irmak, S., and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Extending Extension’s Outreach: Impact of Irrigation Recommendations Provided by Student Interns,” Journal of Extension, 56(4) 4TOT8. https://www.joe.org/joe/2018august/tt8.php
. Baral, D. P., Fisher, J.R. , Florek, M.J. , Dvorak, B., Snow, D. and Admiraal, D. (2018) Atmospheric Contributions of Nitrate to Stormwater Runoff from Two Urban Watersheds. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 144 (2) DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001323.
. Ringenberg, D. , Wilson, S., and Dvorak, B. (2017) “State Barriers to Approval of Drinking Water Technologies for Small Systems,” Journal of the American Water Works Association, 109 (8) E343-E352, August, https://doi.org/10.5942/jawwa.2017.109.0096.
. Kuppig, V.; Cook, Y.; Carter, D.; Larson, N.; Williams, R.; and Dvorak, B. (2016) “Implementation of sustainability improvements at the facility level: motivations and barriers,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 139 (1529-1538) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.08.167.
. Ziari, R.; Li, S.; Dvorak, B.; and Subbiah, J. (2016) “Water and Energy use of microbial interventions in a beef packing plant,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 32(6) http://dx.DOI.org/ 10.13031/aea.32.11615.
. Bausk, A.; and Dvorak, B.I. (2016) “Selecting the Column Configuration with Lowest Media Replacement Cost for Small Adsorption Systems,” Water Research, 3(93) 38-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2016.01.015