Bruce Dvorak , Ph.D., P.E.
• WINSSS: A National Center for Innovative Small Drinking Water Systems (Dvorak is an Associate Director)
• American Water Works Association (Dvorak serves on the Board of Directors)
• Nebraska Industrial Assessment Center
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- M.S., Environmental Health Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1990
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1987
- 25% Extension
- 75% Teaching/Research/Service for Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Physical-chemical treatment processes (adsorption processes)
- Pollution prevention/environmental sustainability for industry
Honors and Awards
- George Warren Fuller Award (distinguished service to the water supply field), American Water Works Association, 2013
- Fulbright Scholar Fellowship, Czech Fulbright Commission, 2010
- Samuel Arnold Greeley Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2009
- Environmental Education Award, Lincoln and Lancaster County Environmental Awards, 2009
- Hollings Teaching/Advising/Mentoring Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering, 2009
- Recognition Award for Contributions to Students, UNL Parents Association, 2008
- Olsson Associates Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, UNL Dept. of Civil Engineering, 2007, 2003, 1999
- Hollings Master Teacher Award, UNL, 2005
Dr. Dvorak has current grants from the US Department of Energy, US Environmental Protection Agency, Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality, Nebraska Energy Office, and the City of Lincoln.
. Li, S.; Ziaria, R.; Kinser, C.; Subbiah, J.; Dvorak. B. (2018) “Environmental and economic implications of food safety interventions: life cycle and operating cost assessment of antimicrobial systems in U.S. beef packing industry,” accepted for publication in the Journal of Cleaner Production. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.020
. Baral, D.; Dvorak, B.; Admiraal, D.; Jia, S.; Zhang, C.; Li, X., (2018) Tracking the Sources of Antibiotic Resistance Genes in an Urban Stream during Wet Weather using Shotgun Metagenomic Analyses, Environmental Science and Technology, 52 (16), pp 9033–9044, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.8b01219
. Baral, D.; Speicher, A.; Dvorak, B.; Admiraal, D.; Li, X. (2018) “Quantifying the relative contributions of environmental sources to the microbial community in an urban stream under dry and wet weather conditions,”Appl Environ Microbiol 84:e00896-18. https://doi .org/10.1128/AEM.00896-18.
. Ziara, R., Li, S., Subbiah, J., and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Characterization of Wastewater in Two US Cattle Slaughterhouses,” Water Environment Research, August.
. Hanna, S., Thompson, M., Williams, R., Dahab, M., and Dvorak, B.; (2018) Benchmarking the Electric Intensity of Small Nebraska Wastewater Treatment Facilities, Manuscript accepted for publication in Water Environment Research. doi:10.2175/106143017X15131012153176
. Ringenberg, D., Kranz, W., Irmak, S., and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Extending Extension’s Outreach: Impact of Irrigation Recommendations Provided by Student Interns,” Journal of Extension, 56(4) 4TOT8. https://www.joe.org/joe/2018august/tt8.php
. Baral, D. P., Fisher, J.R. , Florek, M.J. , Dvorak, B., Snow, D. and Admiraal, D. (2018) Atmospheric Contributions of Nitrate to Stormwater Runoff from Two Urban Watersheds. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 144 (2) DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001323.
. Ringenberg, D. , Wilson, S., and Dvorak, B. (2017) “State Barriers to Approval of Drinking Water Technologies for Small Systems,” Journal of the American Water Works Association, 109 (8) E343-E352, August, https://doi.org/10.5942/jawwa.2017.109.0096.
. Kuppig, V.; Cook, Y.; Carter, D.; Larson, N.; Williams, R.; and Dvorak, B. (2016) “Implementation of sustainability improvements at the facility level: motivations and barriers,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 139 (1529-1538) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.08.167.
. Ziari, R.; Li, S.; Dvorak, B.; and Subbiah, J. (2016) “Water and Energy use of microbial interventions in a beef packing plant,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 32(6) http://dx.DOI.org/ 10.13031/aea.32.11615.
. Bausk, A.; and Dvorak, B.I. (2016) “Selecting the Column Configuration with Lowest Media Replacement Cost for Small Adsorption Systems,” Water Research, 3(93) 38-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2016.01.015
. Fisher, J.R. ; Dvorak, B.I., and Admiraal, D.M. (2015) “Pollutant Load Estimates using Regression Models with In-Stream Measurements,” Journal of Environmental Engineering, dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001049, 04015081.
. Chokejaroenrat, C., Comfort, S., Chainarong, S., and Dvorak, B. (2014) Improving the Treatment of Non-Aqueous Phase TCE in Low Permeable Zones with Permanganate, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 268 (March 15, 2014), 177–184; doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2014.01.007
. Kekilova, A., Dvorak, B., and Williams, R. (2014). "Motivations of Program Partners for Environmental Sustainability and Persistence of Benefits." J. Prof. Issues Eng. Educ. Pract., 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000222.