Chris Tuan , PhD, PE, SE, F.ASCE
• Conductive Concrete featured on CBS - Innovation Nation
• EMP Proof Shotcrete Construction by ABC Group
- Ph.D. Structures, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1983
- M.S. Mechanics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1980
- M.S. Structures, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1979
- B.S. Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University, 1977
- Finite Element Modeling
- Specialized Concrete
- Structural Dynamics
- Weapons Effects
- Blast-resistant Design
Honors and Awards
- 2016 - T.C. Graham Award, Association for Iron & Steel Technology
- 2014-2017 - Visiting Professor, Guangzhou University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
- 2013 - UNL Civil Engineering Faculty Recognition Award
- 2011 - Honorary Fellow, Australian Institute of High Energetic Materials, Gladstone, Australia
- 2009 - ASCE Fellow
- 2009 - Best Paper Award, ASCE Journal of Cold Regions Engineering (2006-2008)
- 2008 - Research & Creativity Award, College of Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2007 - Distinguished Visiting Professor, Hunan University, Changsha, Hunan, China
- 2004 - Award of Excellence, American Concrete Institute – Nebraska Chapter
- 2004 - Multi-disciplinary Research Award, College of Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2003 - Award of Excellence, American Concrete Institute – Nebraska Chapter
- 1995 - Who's Who in Science and Engineering
Rao, R., Fu, J.Y., Chan, Y., Tuan, C.Y., Liu, C.H.,"Steel Fiber Confined Graphite Concrete for Pavement Deicing." Composites Part B, Vol.155, December 15, 2018, pp.187-196, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2018.08.013
Tadros, M.K., Girgis, A.M., Tuan, C.Y., Alex, A.A.,"Simplified design for positive restraint continuity moment in bridge girders." PCI Journal, 63(4), July-August 2018, pp.62-78.
Zhao, R., Tuan, C.Y., Xu, A., and Fan, D.B.,"Conductivity of ionically-conductive mortar under repetitive electrical heating." Construction & Building Materials, Vol.173, June 10, 2018, pp. 730-739. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.04.074
Zhao, R., Tuan, C.Y., Fan, D., Xu, A., and Luo, B., "Ionically Conductive Mortar for Electrical Heating." ACI Materials Journal, Vol.114, No.6, November-December 2017, pp.923-933.
Liu, C.H, Fu, J.Y., Pi, Y.L., Tuan, C.Y., and Liu, A.R., "Influence of Demolished Concrete Blocks on Mechanical Properties of Recycled Blend Concrete." Construction & Building Materials, Vol.136, April 1, 2017, pp. 329-347. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.01.030
Tuan, C.Y., and Dass, W.C., "Expedient airfield runway repair using folded fiberglass mat." International Journal of Pavement Engineering, December 20, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10298436.2014.993188
Tuan, C.Y., "Equipment Fragility due to Shock Response." Journal of Testing and Evaluation, ASTM, August 23, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1520/JTE20130018
Tuan, C. Y. "Ground Shock Resistance of Mechanically Stabilized Earth Walls." International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, July 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000342
Deng, Y., and Tuan, C.Y. "Design for Concrete-filled Circular Steel Tubes under Lateral Impact," ACI Structural Journal, 110(4), July-August 2013, pp.691-702.
Geringer, J.R., Tuan, C.Y., and Lindsey, P.D. "Assessment of Software for Blast Loading and Structural Response Analysis Using a Lightweight Steel-Joist Roof as a Test Case," Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, ASCE, Vol. 27, No. 2, April 2013, pp.144–154. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000299
Krause, A.P., Nguyen, L., Tuan, C.Y., and Blasey, J.D. Conductive Concrete: A Shielding Construction Material, Journal of Radiation Effects, Engineering and Research, 31(1), February 2013, pp.151-158.
Gerbino-Bevins, B.M., Tuan, C.Y., and Mattison, M. Evaluation of Ice Melting Capacities of Deicing Chemicals, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 40(6), American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM), November 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1520/JTE104460
Tuan, C.Y. Drop Weight Testing on Sandwich Panels with a Novel Thermoplastic Core Material, Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, 14(3), May 2012, pp.325-338. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1099636212444748
Deng, Y., Tuan, C.Y., and Xiao, Y. Behavior of Concrete-filled Circular Steel Tubes under High-strain Rate Impact Loading, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 138(3), March 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000464.
Deng, Y., Norton, T.R., and Tuan, C.Y. Numerical Analysis of the Structural Strength of Concrete-Filled Circular Steel Tubes, Structures and Buildings, 164(1), February 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/stbu.11.00001
An, J., Tuan, C.Y., Cheeseman, B.A., and Gazonas, G.A. Simulation of Soil Behavior under Blast Loading,”International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, 11(4), July/August 2011, pp.323-334. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000086
Sarmah, R.D., and Tuan, C.Y. Three-Dimensional Security Barrier Impact Response Modeling, International Journal of Nonlinear Science, 11(2), April 2011, pp.236-245.
Deng, Y., Tuan, C.Y., Zhou, Q., and Xiao, Y. Flexural Strength Analysis of Non-post-tensioned and Post-tensioned Concrete-Filled Circular Steel Tubes, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 67(2), February 2011, pp.192-202.