- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 1994
- M.A.Sc., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1985
- B.A.Sc., Civil Engineering, Wuhan Polytechnic University, Wuhan, China, 1982
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Alternative energy/low carbon technologies
- Nanotechnology and its environmental applications
- Non-point source pollution control technologies
Apr 15, 2022: Tian Zhang selected as ASCE Distinguished Member
Apr 08, 2016: Civil engineering team's paper wins ASCE Hering Medal
Nov 23, 2015: Two engineering faculty chosen as AAAS fellows
Honors and Awards
- State-of-the Art of Civil Engineering Award, American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE) for the ASCE book “Nanomaterials in the Environment,” 2017
- University Research Grand Prize, Excellent in Environmental Engineering and Science Award, American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists, 2016
- Rudolph Hering Medal, for the most valuable contribution to the advancement of the environmental branch of engineering (ASCE), 2016
- Elected Fellow (F.AAAS), American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2015
- Diplomate and Board Certified Environmental Engineer (BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers (AAEE), 2015
- State-of-the Art of Civil Engineering Award, American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE) for the ASCE book “Climate Change Modeling, Mitigation and Adaption,” 2014
- Elected Member, European Academy of Science and Arts (EASA), 2013
- Elected Fellow (F.ASCE), American Society of Civil Engineers, 2013
- Diplomate and Board Certified Water Resources Engineer (D. WRE), American Academy of Water Resources Engineers (AAWRE), 2012
- Faculty Teaching Excellence Award (Olsson Associates), CE Dept., UNL, 2002
- UNL College of Engineering Research Award, 1999
- Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP), 1995
- Li, T., Zhang, T.C., and He, L. (30%) (2017). A novel method for enhancing strains' biodegradation of 4-chloronitrobenzene. J. Biotechnology, 264(12), 8-16.
- Zheng, C.L., Wang, Q.R., Fan, Y.R., Feng, S.-112S., He, C., Ning, Y.L., Zhang, T.C. (20%), and Shen Z.X. (2017). Isolation of a 2-picolinic acid-assimilating bacterium and its proposed degradation pathway. Bioresource Technology, 245, Part A, 681-688.
- Rong, K., and Zhang, T.C. (70%) (2017). Forward osmosis: mass transmission coefficient-based models for evaluation of concentration polarization under different conditions. J. Environ. Eng. 144(2), 04017095.
- Rong, K., Zhang, T.C. (50%), and Li, T. (2017). Forward osmosis: Definition and evaluation of water transmission coefficient. J. Water Process Engineering, 20, 106-112.
- Lin, J.L., Lin, W.C., Liu, J.K., Surampalli, R.Y., Zhang, T.C. (10%), and Kao, C.-M. (2017). Aerobic biodegradation of OCDD by P. Mendocina NSYSU: Effectiveness and gene inducement studies. Water Environ. Res., 89(12), 2113-2121.
- Huang, X., Yuan, Y., Bielecki, T.A., Mohapatra, B.C., Luan, H., Silva-Lopez, E., West, W.W., Band, V., Lu, Y., Band, H., and Zhang, T.C. (25%) (2017). Discrimination of tumor from normal tissues in a mouse model of breast cancer using cars spectroscopy combined with PC-DFA methodology. J. of Raman Spectroscopy, 48(9), 1166-1170.
- Lei, Y.T., Li, D.W., Zhang, T.C. (40%), Huang, X., Liu, L., and Lu, Y.F. (2017). One-step selective formation of silver nanoparticles on atomic layered MoS2 by laser-induced defect engineering and photoreduction. J. Materials Chemistry C, DOI: 10.1039/C7TC01863K.
- Wan, J., Zhu, C., Hu, J., Zhang, T.C. (50%), Richter-Egger, D., Feng, X.N., Zhou, A.J., and Tao, T. (2017). Zirconium-loaded magnetic interpenetrating network chitosan/poly(vinyl alcohol) hydrogels for phosphorus recovery from the aquatic environment. Appl. Surface Sci., 423, 484-491.