- B.E., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 2001
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2003
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2008
Research Opportunities (Graduate/Undergraduate)
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Fate and transport of emerging contaminants (e.g., hormones, antibiotics, and antibiotic resistance genes) in the environment
- Environmental biotechnology to remove contaminants (e.g., estrogens, perchlorate, and nitrate) from water
- Microbial transformation of soil organic carbon in heterogeneous landscapes.
Mar 27, 2018: NWEA seeking applications for mentoring program
Aug 24, 2017: USDA funds antibiotic resistance research
Mar 16, 2017: NSF funds Civil Engineering summer research program
Oct 04, 2016: WARI opens research links to India
Dec 22, 2015: Investigating Climate’s Groundwater Impact
May 01, 2015: UNL faculty head team that wins AAEES Grand Prize
Mar 10, 2015: Xu Li research video on NSF Science360
- Baral, D., B. Dvorak, A. Admiraal, S. Jia, C. Zhang, and X. Li. 2018. Tracking the sources of antibiotic resistance genes in an urban stream during wet weather using shotgun metagenomic analyses. Environmental Science and Technology. 52 (16): 9033-9044.
- Zhang, Y., C. Jewett, J. Gilley, S. Bartelt-Hunt, D. Snow, L. Hodges, and X. Li. 2018. Microbial communities in the rhizosphere and the root of lettuce as affected by contaminated irrigation water. FEMS Microbial Ecology, 94 (9). DOI: 10.1093/femsec/fiy135.
- Baral, D., A. Speicher, B. Dvorak, D. Admiraal, and X. Li. 2018. Quantifying the relative contributions of environmental sources to the microbial community in an urban stream under dry and wet weather conditions. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 84 (15) DOI: e00896-18.
- Leng, Y., J. Bao, D. Song, J. Li, M. Ye, and X. Li. 2017. Background nutrients affect tetracycline biotransformation by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia as revealed by genomics and proteomics. Environmental Science and Technology, 51: 10476-10484.
- Du, Z., Y. Chen, and X. Li. 2017. Quantitative proteomic analyses of the microbial degradation of estrone under various background nitrogen and carbon conditions. Water Research, 123: 361-368.
- Leng, Yifei, Jianguo Bao, Gaofeng Chang, Han Zhang, Xingxing Li, Jiangkun Du, Daniel Snow, and X. Li. 2016. Biotransformation of tetracycline by a novel bacterial strain Stenotrophomonas maltophilia DT1. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 318: 125-133.
- Zhang, Y. #, Sallach, J.B.#, L. Hodges, D. Snow, S. Bartelt-Hunt, K. Eskridge, and X. Li. 2016. Effects of soil texture and drought stress on the update of antibiotics and the internalization of Salmonella in lettuce following wastewater irrigation. Environmental Pollution, 208: 523-531. (# equal contribution)
- Du, Z., D. Riveros-Iregui, R. Jones, T. McDermott, J. Dore, B. McGlynn, R. Emanuel, and X. Li. 2015. Landscape position influences microbial composition and function via redistribution of soil water across a watershed. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 81: 8457-8468.
- Yi, X., S. Bayen, B.C. Kelly, X. Li, and Z. Zhou. 2015. Improved detection of multiple environmental antibiotics through an optimized sample extraction strategy in liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, doi 10.1007/s00216-015-9074-7.
- Sallach, J., D. Snow, L. Hodges, X. Li, and S. Bartelt-Hunt. 2015. Development and comparison of four methods for the extraction of antibiotics from a vegetative matrix. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, DOI: 10.1002/etc.3214.
- Sakulthaew, C., S. Comfort, C. Chokejaroenrat, X. Li, and C. Harris. 2015. Removing PAHs from urban runoff water by combining ozonation and carbon nano-onions. Chemosphere, 141: 265-273.
- Soni, B., S. Bartelt-Hunt, D. Snow, J. Gilley, B. Woodbury, D. Marx, and X. Li. 2015. Narrow grass hedges reduce tylosin and associated resistance genes in agricultural runoff. Journal of Environmental Quality, 44: 895-902.
- Sallach, J.B.#, Zhang, Y.#, D. Snow, L. Hodges, X. Li, and S. Bartelt-Hunt. 2014. Concomitant uptake of antimicrobials and Salmonella in soil and into lettuce following wastewater irrigation. Environmental Pollution, 197: 269-277. (# equal contribution)
- Du, Z., R. Nandakumar, K. Nickerson, and X. Li. 2015. Proteomic adaptations to starvation prepare Escherichia coli for disinfection tolerance. Water Research, 69: 110-119.
- Joy, S., X. Li, D. Snow, J. Gilley, B. Woodbury, and S. Bartelt-Hunt. 2014. Fate of antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance genes in simulated swine manure storage. Science of the Total Environment, 481: 69-74.
- Zhang, Y., R. Nandakumar, S. Bartelt-Hunt, D. Snow, L. Hodges, and X. Li. 2014. Quantitative proteomic analysis of the Salmonella-lettuce interaction. Microbial Biotechnology, 7(6): 630-637.
- Joy, S., S. Bartelt-Hunt, J. Gilley, D. Snow, D. Parker, B. Woodbury, D. Marx, and X. Li. 2013. Fate and transport of antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance genes in soil and runoff following land application of swine manure slurry. Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (21): 12081-12088.
- Zhang, Y., D. Snow, D. Parker, Z. Zhou, and X. Li. 2013. Intracellular and extracellular antimicrobial resistance genes in livestock waste management structures. Environmental Science and Technology, 47(18): 10206-10213.
- Zhang, Y., C. Zhang, D. Snow, D. Parker, Z. Zhou and X. Li. 2013. Occurrence of antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance genes in beef cattle storage ponds and swine treatment lagoons. Science of the Total Environment, 463-464: 631-638.
- Li, Z., N. Madayiputhiya, R. Nandakumar, and X. Li. 2012. Proteomic analysis of 17β-estradiol degradation by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia. Environmental Science and Technology, 46: 5947-5955.
- Li, Z., B. Dvorak, and X. Li. 2012. Removing 17β-estradiol using a biologically active reactor (BAC) reactor modified from a granular activated carbon (GAC) reactor. Water Research, 46: 2828-2836.
- Li, X., W. Yuen, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2012. Backwash intensity and frequency impact the microbial community structure and function in a fixed-bed biofilm reactor. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 96: 815-827.
- Shimada, T., X. Li, J. Zilles, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2011. Effects of the antimicrobial tylosin on the microbial community of an anaerobic sequencing batch reactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 108: 296-305.
- Li, X., G. Upadhyaya, W. Yuen, J. Brown, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2010. Changes in microbial community structure and function of drinking water treatment bioreactors upon phosphorus addition.Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 76: 7473-7481.
- Li, X., E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2008. Quantitative rRNA-targeted solution-based hybridization assay using peptide nucleic acid molecular beacon. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 74: 7297-7305.
- Choi, Y-C., X. Li, L. Raskin, and E. Morgenroth. 2008. Chemisorption of oxygen onto activated carbon can enhance the stability of biological perchlorate reduction in fixed bed biofilm reactors. Water Research, 42: 3425-3434.
- Choi, Y-C., X. Li, L. Raskin, and E. Morgenroth. 2007. Effect of backwashing on perchlorate removal in fixed bed biofilm reactors. Water Research, 41: 1949-1959.
- Li, X. and B. Logan. 2004. Analysis of bacterial adhesion using a gradient force analysis and colloid probe atomic force microscopy. Langmuir, 20: 8817-8822.
- Velegol, S., S. Pardi, X. Li, D. Velegol, and B. Logan. 2003. AFM imaging artifacts due to bacterial cell height and AFM tip geometry. Langmuir, 19: 851-857.