Engineering Leadership Minor
Overview & Purpose:The Engineering Leadership Minor provides students an opportunity to focus on building leadership, management, and interpersonal skills needed to solve many of our societal challenges. Students complete a series of leadership, project management and interpersonal skills courses using experiential learning strategies and combine subject area knowledge gained in courses from their majors with strategies and skills to effectively lead in the engineering profession.
Courses included in the minor are a combination of new and existing courses; new courses center on the leadership, management and interpersonal skill needs of engineering students. Existing courses consist of leadership and interpersonal skills courses lead by faculty in the Department of Agriculture Leadership, Education and Communication.
Learning Outcomes:This minor fulfills, or contributes to in part, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) (2019) learning outcomes:
- Outcome 1: An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems
- Outcome 2: An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- Outcome 3: An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- Outcome 4: An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- Outcome 5: An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- Outcome 6: An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- Outcome 7: An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
- Inclusive Excellence
- Self-Management & Leadership
- Civic Responsibility
- Professionalism & Ethics
Requirements:The course requirements and descriptions for the Engineering Leadership Minor can be found in the catalog. Students interested in pursuing this minor are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor immediately.