Engineering Leadership Minor
Overview & Purpose:The Engineering Leadership Minor provides students an opportunity to focus on building leadership, management, and interpersonal skills needed to solve many of our societal challenges. Students complete a series of leadership, project management and interpersonal skills courses using experiential learning strategies and combine subject area knowledge gained in courses from their majors with strategies and skills to effectively lead in the engineering profession.
Courses included in the minor are a combination of new and existing courses; new courses center on the leadership, management and interpersonal skill needs of engineering students. Existing courses consist of leadership and interpersonal skills courses lead by faculty in the Department of Agriculture Leadership, Education and Communication.
Learning Outcomes:This minor fulfills, in part the following Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) (2010) learning outcomes:
- Outcome (d): Function on multidisciplinary teams.
- Outcome (e): An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- Outcome (f): Understand professional and ethical responsibility.
- Outcome (g): Communicate effectively.
- Outcome (h): The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- Outcome (i): Have recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Outcome (j): Knowledge of contemporary issues. In addition to the aforementioned outcomes the minor also seeks to fulfill the following:
- Develop student capacity to solve engineering problems by leveraging non-technical solutions.
- Build skills in organizing people and ideas for successful initiatives by including leadership, teamwork, project management, verbal and written communication, and documentation in coursework.
- Effectively work with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Apply knowledge of leadership theories, models and behaviors to solve engineering and organizational challenges.
- Develop and implement a personal plan for transfer of knowledge, skills and behaviors to academic, career/professional and personal life.
Requirements:The course requirements and descriptions for the Engineering Leadership Minor can be found in the bulletin. Students interested in pursuing this minor are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor immediately.