Jongwan Eun, Ph.D., P.E.
Personal Links:• GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH GROUP (GEGERG)
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University
- Bachelor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Multiphase Mass Transport through Porous and Nonporous Medium
- Unsaturated Behavior of Geomaterials
- Advanced Application of Sensing Technics for Geosystem
- Sustainable Geotechnics
- Geoenvironmental Engineering, Fall 2016, Spring 2019
- Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering, Spring 2016, 2017, 2020
- Advanced Soil Mechanics (Soil Mechanics II), Fall 2017, 2020
GRA Position Available
About Jongwan Eun
Dr. Jongwan Eun joined in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) from fall 2016 as an assistant professor. He received his Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering emphasized on Geoenvironmental Engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2014 and M.S. from the University of Texas at Austin in 2010.
Before joining the UNL, he has worked as a lecturer and a research associate at New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) with the responsibility of teaching fundamental engineering subjects and leading a global research project related to oil recovery enhancement and innovative farming system with renewable energy. During his 2 year-postdoc at the UW-Madison, he developed and managed diverse projects funded by the private company and state and federal government related to field monitoring of wind turbine foundation, geothermal heating and cooling system, engineering characterization of recycled material and geosynthetic.
He also had professional experience as a field engineer for more than three and a half years in Dongmyung E&C Co. after obtaining Bachelor from Yonsei University in South Korea. He is a professional engineer registered in WI. His research interest is focused on the analysis and design optimization of geotechnical and geoenvironmental systems, energy geotechnics, and radioactive material disposal.
Honors and Awards
He received many awards and honors such as the Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) Research Fellowship 2013, Severson Award 2012 from Geological Engineering Program at the UW-Madison, the 2nd place in Geosyntec Consultants 2011 National Research Contest, the 1st place and invitation for presentation in AEG 2011 Paper Competition in North Central Section.
(Total 16 projects and approximate $2.5 million funded since joining UNL in 2016)
- Reduction of Landfill Gas Emission through Interim Cover with Co-extruded EVOH Geomembrane, Funded Sponsor: Nebraska Environmental Trust, Awarded Period: 07/01/2018 - 06/30/2021, Role: PI.
- Multiscale and Multiphysical Testing-Modeling of Inorganic Microfiber-Reinforced Engineered Barrier Materials (IMEBM) for Enhancing Repository Performance, Funded Sponsor: Department of Energy, Awarded Period: 10/1/2020-9/30/2023, Role: PI.
- Multi-Physical and Multi-Phase Analysis and Modeling of In-Situ Capping System for Sediment Rehabilitation. Funded Sponsor: Collaboration Initiatives, Univ. Nebraska System, Awarded Period: 07/01/2018 - 06/30/2020, Role: co-PI.
- Multi-physical and Multi-scale Analysis of Water Infiltration through Frozen Soils, Funded Sponsor: Seed Grant, Collaboration Initiatives-Global Impact, Univ. Nebraska System and KICT, Awarded Period: 07/01/2020 - 06/30/2023, Role: PI.
- Development of Guideline for the Use of Geosynthetics in Different Roadway Layered System in Nebraska, Funded Sponsor: Nebraska DOT Award Period Covered: 07/01/20 - 12/30/21 Role: PI.
- Jongwan Eun, John S. McCartney, D. Znidarčić, (2019) “Assessment of approaches to obtain ebullition pressures for organophilic clay blankets.” Geosynthetics International, ICE, 26 (5), 539-550 https://doi.org/10.1680/jgein.19.00042
- M. Sina Mousavi, Siamak Mirfendereski, Jae Sung Park, Jongwan Eun*, (2019) “Numerical optimization of a sustainable farming compartment with an evaporative cooling system.” Processes, MDPI, 7(11), 823; https://doi.org/10.3390/pr7110823
- Yuksel Yilmaz, Jongwan Eun*, Seyedmahdi Salehi Phanahi, M. Sina Mousavi, (2019) “Effect of height-to-diameter ratio (H/D) with various water contents on unconfined compressive strength of a clayey soil.” Engineering Geology, Elsevier, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2019.05.013
- Byungkwon Byun, Incheol Kim, Garam Kim, Jongwan Eun, and Junhwan Lee, (2019) “Stability of bioreactor landfills with leachate injection configuration and landfill material condition.” Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier, 108, 234-243 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2019.01.006
- Y. Yilmaz, Jongwan Eun*, Aysegul Goren, (2018) “Individual and combined effects of Portland cement and chemical-based agents on unconfined compressive strength of high plasticity clayey soil,” International Journal of Geomechanics and Engineering, Techno-Press, 16(4), 375-384 DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/gae.2018.16.4.375
- Jongwan Eun*, James M. Tinjum, Craig H. Benson, Tuncer B. Edil, (2018) “Equivalent transport parameters of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in co-extruded geomembrane containing ethylene-vinyl alcohol (EVOH).” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 144 (7) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001888
- Jongwan Eun*, James M. Tinjum, Craig H. Benson, Tuncer B. Edil, (2017) “Methane emission through interim cover with a co-extruded geomembrane containing ethylene-vinyl alcohol (EVOH).” Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 144(2) DOI.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001298
- Jongwan Eun, James M. Tinjum, Craig H. Benson, Tuncer B. Edil (2017), “Comparison of volatile organic compound transport in composite liners with HDPE and Ethylene–Vinyl Alcohol coextruded geomembranes.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001484