Professional Memberships:• Association of Environmental Engineering & Science Professors (AEESP)
• American Chemical Society (ACS)
• Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization (SNO)
- PhD in Civil Engineering (Environmental), University of Texas at Austin, 2015
- MS in Civil Engineering (Environmental), University of South Carolina, 2012
- BSc in Chemical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, 2009
- 50% Teaching, 40% Research, 10% Service
Curriculum Vitae (CV):
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
The overarching goal of my research is to protecting public health through water quality engineering and physical-chemical treatment of drinking water and wastewater. Especially, my research focuses on the mitigation of emerging water pollution (e.g., per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances or PFASs) and resource recovery through the safer and intelligent design and development of advanced materials, membranes, and manufacturing. In pursuing this, I leverage my expertise in environmental engineering, chemical engineering, and materials sciences and develop in-department and interdisciplinary collaborations with other engineering disciplines, chemistry, data science, and environmental health sciences. Topics of interest include:
(i) Advanced (nano)materials and processes for PFAS remediation and water treatment/reuse,
(ii) Additive manufacturing or 3D printing for water treatment,
(iii) Sustainable design of nanocomposite membranes for water treatment and resource recovery,
(iv) Data driven (nano)material discovery for environmental remediation and separations,
(v) Global health inequity due to air, soil, and water pollution from electronic and plastic waste recycling (micro/nanoplastic pollution).
Honors and Awards
National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, 2022
American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (AAEES) 40 Under 40 Recognition, 2022
Best Paper of 2021, Environmental Science: Nano (IF: 9.473), Royal Society of Chemistry, 2022.
Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization (SNO) Emerging Investigator Award, 2019
Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2017.
National Research Council Research Associateship Award (NRC RAP) for Postdoctoral Research, National Academy of Sciences, 2015.
My research is supported by external funding of total >$3.5M with my share of >$1.45M from the National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institute of Health (NIH), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), US Department of Defense/Strategic Environmental Restoration and Development Program (DoD/SERDP), US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA).
- Mehrabi, N., Aich, N.,* Using Deep Eutectic Solvents for the In-Situ Synthesis of Graphene-Metal Nanohybrids and Nanocomposite Membranes for Dye Desalination, 2022, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. (Accepted). (UB)
- Parvez, S.M., Hasan, S.S., Knibbs, L.D., Jahan, F., Rahman, M., Raqib, R., Islam, N., Aich, N., Moniruzzaman, M., Islam, Z., Fujimura, M., Sly, P.D., Ecological burden of e-waste in Bangladesh: participant’s characteristics and methods of cross-sectional assessment to measure the exposure to e-waste and associated health outcomes, 2022, JMIR Research Protocols, (Accepted). DOI: 10.2196/38201. (UB)
- Pushan, Z.A., Rahman, E., Islam, N., Aich, N.,* A Critical Review of the Emerging Research on the Detection and Assessment of Microplastic Pollution in the Coastal, Marine, and Urban Bangladesh, 2022, Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering, 16(10), Pages 128. DOI: 10.1007/s11783-022-1563-2. Journal Impact Factor: 6.048. (UB)
- Ghosal, P., Gupta, B., Ambekar, R.S., Aich, N.,* Gupta, A.K., Rahman, M., Tiwary, C.S., 3D printed materials in water treatment applications, 2021, Advanced Sustainable Systems, 6(3), Pages 2100282. DOI: 10.1002/adsu.202100282. Journal Impact Factor: 6.737. (UB) (Cover Article)
- Mowla, M., Rahman, E., Islam, N., Aich, N.,* Assessment of Heavy Metal Contamination and Health Risk from Indoor Dust and Air of Informal E-waste Recycling Shops in Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2021, Journal of Hazardous Materials Advances, 4, Pages 100025. DOI: 10.1016/j.hazadv.2021.100025. Journal Impact Factor: None yet, Journal of Hazardous Materials has an impact factor of 10.588. (UB)
- Alam, M.M., Masud, A., Scharf, B., Bradley, I.M., Aich, N.,* Long-term exposure of rGO-nZVI nanohybrids to biological wastewater treatment: Impacts on nutrient removal, biomass, and microbial communities, 2021, Environmental Science & Technology, 56(1), Pages 512-524. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.1c02586. Journal Impact Factor: 11.357. (UB)
- Masud, A., Zhou, C., Aich, N.,* Emerging Investigator Series: 3D printed graphene-biopolymer aerogel for water contaminant removal: A proof of concept, Environmental Science: Nano, 2021, 8(2), 399-414. DOI: 10.1039/D0EN00953A. Journal Impact Factor: 9.473. (UB) (Best Paper of 2021, Cover Article)
- Mehrabi, N., Lin, H., Aich, N.,* Deep Eutectic Solvent Functionalized Graphene Oxide Nanofiltration Membranes with Superior Water Permeance for Highly Efficient Dye Desalination, 2021, Chemical Engineering Journal, 412, 128577. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2021.128577. Journal Impact Factor: 16.744. (UB)
- Masud, A.,$ Guardia, M.G.E.,$ Travis, S.C., Jarin, M., Aga, D., Aich, N.,* Redox-active rGO-nZVI nanohybrid-catalyzed chain shortening of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS), Journal of Hazardous Materials Letters, 2021, 2, 100007. DOI: 10.1016/j.hazl.2020.100007. Journal Impact Factor: None yet, Journal of Hazardous Materials has an impact factor of 14.224. (UB)
- Masud, A., Chavez Soria, N.G., Aga, D., Aich, N.,* Adsorption and advanced oxidation of diverse pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) from water using highly efficient rGO-nZVI nanohybrids, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2020, 2223-2238. DOI: 10.1039/D0EW00140F. Journal Impact Factor: 5.819. (UB)