Personal Links:• Personal website
• Google scholar
Professional Memberships:• Nebraska Center for Materials and Nanoscience
• Midwest Roadside Safety Facility (MwRSF)
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Tech, 2012
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), 2005
- B.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST, 2003
Hiring a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)
Dr. Seunghee Kim is looking for a graduate research student to join the Energy-Geosystems research group at UNL. The position can be started immediately. Should you be interested, please contact him directly.
Curriculum Vitae (CV):
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Carbon Utilization & Storage, Geologic Sequestration of Spent Nuclear Fuels (SNF)
- Energy Geo-Storage (e.g., Compressed Air, Hydrogen, Heat), Underground Utilization, and Sustainability
- Coupling: Fluid Flow in Porous Media + Poromechanics + Heat Transport + Geochemistry
- Geotechnics for Resilient Bridge/Transportation Infrastructure
- Demo: Micro-Scale Compressed Air Energy Storage
- Barry, K.F., Biagini, M.S.G., Santamarina, J.C., Wall, J.J., Le Pape, Y.M.R., Lindberg, J.T., Cha, M. Dai, S., and Kim, S., Void Detection System, US 2013/0192375 A1, Georgia Institute of Technology
- CIVE 898 Special Topics: Numerical Methods on Multiphysical Coupling
- CIVE 898 Special Topics: Rock and Poromechanics
- CIVE 436/836 Foundation Engineering
- CIVE 434/834 Soil Mechanics II
- CIVE 334 Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering
- MECH 325 Mechanics of Elastic Bodies
- View the Undergraduate Course Catalog
- View the Graduate Course Catalog
About Seunghee Kim
- 08/2016-present, Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, NE
- 08/2014-08/2016, Assistant Professor, Western New England University, Springfield, MA
- 03/2013-08/2014, Postdoctoral Fellow, Bureau of Economic Geology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- 02/2007-06/2008, Researcher, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT), Gyeonggi, South Korea
- 01/2005-01/2007, Assistant Manager, Dongho Co., Ltd., Gyeonggi, South Korea
Honors and Awards
- UNO Alumni Outstanding Teaching Award for the College of Engineering, University of Nebraska (2021)
- ARMA (The American Rock Mechanics Association) Future Leaders, Brooklyn, NY, USA (2019)
- Author Achievement Award, Bureau of Economic Geology, Austin, TX, USA (2014)
- Best Paper Award, COMSOL Conference 2013, Boston, MA, USA (2013)
- KKCNN Adachi Award, 17th KKCNN Symposium on Civil Engineering, Ayutthaya, Thailand (2004)
- Korean Government Full Scholarship, KAIST (2003-2004)
- Resource assessment for carbon dioxide storage via accelerated carbonation reaction with recycled concrete aggregates, U.S. Department of Energy (May 2023 – April 2025, $1,006,450, PI).
- Building partnership with Sandia National Laboratories to develop novel engineered barrier materials for geological nuclear waste repository, U.S. Department of Energy (October 2022 – September 2025, $750,000, co-PI).
- Improvement on the treatment of recycled concrete aggregates (RCA) using carbon dioxide (CO2) for its commercial application – Phase II, Nebraska Department of Economic Development & Hawkins Construction Company (September 2022 – August 2024, $1,023,062, PI).
- Application of cementitious materials and fiber reinforcement to enhance lime stabilization for Nebraska shale soils, Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) (July 2022 – May 2024, $142,129, co-PI).
- Two-phase fluid flow in soft-porous or granular materials under the near absence of gravity, NASA Nebraska EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Development (RID) Program FY2019-2021 (November 2021 – July 2022, $10,000, PI).
- Crash testing of various bridge guardrails, transitions, and other highway safety features - Phase III, Hawaii Department of Transportation (January 2021 - June 2023, $2,369,485, co-PI).
- In vitro models of insect wing vein networks for studying insect blood circulation, Nebraska Collaboration Initiative (July 2021 - June 2022, $40,000, co-PI).
- Assessment of greenhouse gas sequestration resources in Districts 5, 6 and 7 to improve carbon management opportunities in Nebraska, The Nebraska Environmental Trust (July 2021 - June 2023, $394,165, PI).
- Application of steel sheet-piles for the abutment of water-crossing bridges in Nebraska, Nebraska Department of Transportation (July 2021 - May 2023, $154,314, PI).
- Application of biochar as carbon sequestering and beneficial additive in concrete, Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research (January 2021 - December 2022, $170,000, co-PI).
- Crashworthy foundations for soil-embedded roadside safety hardware, Mid-America Transportation Center (September 2020 - February 2022, $122,152, co-PI).
- Assessing performance of geosynthetic reinforced pavement with a large-scale track wheel test and nondestructive testing tools, Mid-America Transportation Center (September 2020 - February 2022, $135,000, co-PI).
- Improvement on the Treatment of Recycled Concrete Aggregates (RCA) using CO2 for its Commercial Application, NE Department of Economic Development and Hawkins Construction Company (August 2020 - July 2021, $100,000, PI).
- Characterization of hydro-mechanically coupled fluid transport in deformable porous media and application to convection-enhanced drug delivery, Nebraska Collaboration Initiative (July 2020 - June 2022, $150,000, PI).
- Multiscale and Multiphysical Testing-Modeling of Inorganic Microfiber-Reinforced Engineered Barrier Materials (IMEBM) for Enhancing Repository Performance, U.S. Department of Energy (September 2020 - August 2023, $800,000, co-PI).
- Evaluation of Light Pole Foundation Embedment, Alaska Department of Transportation (March 2020 - February 2022, $248,261, co-PI).
- REU Site: Sustainability of Horizontal Civil Networks in Rural Areas, National Science Foundation (March 2020 - February 2023, $448,597, collaborator).
- Development of Guideline for the Use of Geosynthetics in Different Roadway Layered System in Nebraska, Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) (July 2020 - December 2021, $106,536, co-PI).
- Injection optimization via implementation of mechanically-coupled numerical simulations, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) (July 2019 - August 2019, $5,005, PI).
- Pipe-pile-based micro-scale compressed air energy storage for buildings with intermittent renewable energy resources, Nebraska Collaboration Initiative (July 2019 - June 2021, $147,753, PI).
- Feasibility study: Alternatives to prevent settlements and bumps at bridge approaches in Nebraska, Nebraska Department of Transportation (July 2019 - December 2020, $99,469, PI).
- Utilization of CO2 to improve recycled concrete aggregate (RCA), Layman Seed Funds (May 2018 - April 2019, $10,000, PI).
- Design optimization and monitoring of joint-less integral and semi-integral abutment bridges in Nebraska, Nebraska Department of Transportation (July 2018 - December 2019, $142,312, co-PI).
- CPT-based pile design, Nebraska Department of Transportation (July 2017 - December 2018, $105,846, co-PI).
- Development of advanced computational/experimental models to elucidate multiphase fluid transport in disordered-deformable porous media, UNL Research Council: Interdisciplinary Research Grants (January 2017 - December 2017, $20,000, PI).
- Curriculum and Course Development Grant for the Reservoir Engineering Concentration within the Civil Engineering Department, Western New England University (May 2015 - August 2015, $2,000, PI).
- Kim, S., Dusseault, M., Babarinde, O., and Wickens, J. (2023). "Compressed air energy storage (CAES): Current status, geomechanical aspects, and future opportunities." Geological Society of London – Special Publications “Enabling Secure Subsurface Storage in Future Energy Systems.” In print. DOI: 10.1144/SP528-2022-54.
- Alhowaidi, Y., Eun, J., Kim, S., Song, C.R., and Jaber, F. (2023). "Field monitoring and analysis of abutment foundation behavior for a curved integral abutment bridge under thermal loading." Transportation Research Record, In print.
- Hosseini Zadeh, A., Jeon, M.-K., Kwon, T.-H., and Kim, S. (2023). "Pore-scale experimental study on fluid injection into two-dimensional deformable porous media." International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 160, 104376. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2022.104376.
- Ko, J., Kim, S., Kim, S., and Seo, H. (2023). "Performance of a compressed-air energy storage (CAES) pile under various operation conditions." Journal of Energy Storage, 57, 106194. DOI: 10.1016/j.est.2022.106194.
- Yosef, T.Y., Fang, C., Faller, R.K., and Kim, S. (2023). "A multi-material ALE model for investigating impact dynamics of pile-soil systems." Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 164, 107648. DOI: 10.1016/j.soildyn.2022.107648.
- Bekele, B. M., Song, C., Eun, J., and Kim, S. (2022). "Exploratory seepage detection in a laboratory-scale earthen dam based on distributed temperature sensing method." Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s10706-022-02315-2.
Schultz, R.A., Heinemann, N., Horváth, B., Wickens, J., Miocic, J.M., Babarinde, O., Cao, W., Capuano, P., Dewers, T.A., Dusseault, M., Edlmann, K., Goswick, R.A., Hassanpouryouzband, A., Husain, T., Jin, W., Meng, J., Kim, S., Molaei, F., Odunlami, O., Prasad, U., Lei, Q., Schwartz, B.A., Segura, J.M., Soroush, H., Voegeli, S., Williams-Stroud, S., Yu, H., and Zhao, Q. (2022). "An overview of underground energy-related product storage and sequestration." Geological Society, London, Special Publications 528, no. 1 (2022): SP528-2022. DOI: 10.1144/SP528-2022-160.
- Babarinde, O., Schwartz, B., Meng, J., Kim, S., Segura, J., Schultz, R.A., and Soroush, H. (2022). "An overview of geological carbon sequestration and its geomechanical aspects." Geological Society, London, Special Publications 528, no. 1 (2022): SP528-2022. DOI: 10.1144/SP528-2022-51.
- Kim, S., Hosseini Zadeh, A., Nole, M., Daigle, H., Huh, C., and Kim, I. (2022). "Spontaneous generation of stable CO2 emulsions via the dissociation of nanoparticle-aided CO2 hydrate." Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 208, 109203. DOI: 10.1016/j.petrol.2021.109203.
- Zhang, J., Zhang, H., Lee, D., Ryu, S., and Kim, S. (2021). "Study on the effect of pore-scale heterogeneity and flow rate during repetitive two-phase fluid flow in microfluidic porous media." Petroleum Geoscience, 27, petgeo2020-062. DOI: 10.1144/petgeo2020-062.
- Zhang, J., Hosseini Zadeh, A., and Kim, S. (2021). "Geomechanical and energy analysis on the small- and medium-scale CAES in salt domes." Energy, 221, 119861. DOI: org/10.1016/j.energy.2021.119861.
- Kim, S., Kim, S., Zhang, J., Druszkowski, E., and Sweidan, A. (2021). "Experiment and numerical studies on thermally-induced slip ratcheting on a slope." Infrastructures, 6, 5. DOI: 10.3390/infrastructures6010005.
- Hosseini Zadeh, A., Mamirov, M., Kim, S., and Hu, J. (2021). "CO2-treatment of recycled concrete aggregates for improving mechanical and environmental properties." Construction and Building Materials, 275, 122180. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.122180.
- Hosseini Zadeh, A., Kim, I., and Kim, S. (2021). "Characteristics of formation and dissociation of CO2 hydrates at different CO2-water ratios in a bulk condition." Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 196, 108027. DOI: 10.1016/j.petrol.2020.108027.
- Jeon, M.-K., Kim, S., Hosseini Zadeh, A., and Kwon, T.-H. (2020). "Study on the viscous fluid flow in disordered-deformable porous media using hydro-mechanically coupled pore-network modeling." Transport in Porous Media, 133(2), 207-227. DOI: 10.1007/s11242-020-01419-8.
- Pulatsu, B., Kim, S., Erdogmus, E., and Lourenço, P.B. (2020). "Advanced numerical analysis of masonry retaining walls using mixed discrete-continuum approach." Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Geotechnical Engineering (ICE), 173(1). DOI: 10.1680/jgeen.19.00225.
- Ko, J., Kim, S., Kim, S., and Seo, H. (2020). "Utilizing Building Foundations as Micro-Scale Compressed Air Energy Vessel: Numerical Study for Mechanical Feasibility." Journal of Energy Storage, 28, 101225. DOI: 10.1016/j.est.2020.101225.
- Zhang, J., Zhang, H., Lee, D., Ryu, S., and Kim, S. (2020). "Microfluidic study on the two-phase fluid flow in porous media during repetitive drainage-imbibition cycles and implications to the CAES operation." Transport in Porous Media, 131(2), 449-472. DOI: 10.1007/s11242-019-01353-4.
- Kim, I., Caroline, B., and Kim, S. (2019). "Feasibility study: Electromagnetic heating of soils using magnetic nanoparticle-coated geotextiles." Géotechnique Letters, 10(2), DOI: 10.1680/jgele.19.00098.
- Park, Y.-C., Kim, S., Lee, J. H., and Shinn, Y. J. (2019). "Effect of reducing irreducible water saturation in a near-well region on CO2 injectivity and storage capacity." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 86, 134-145. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2019.04.014.
- Bachus, R.C., Terzariol, M., Pasten, C., Chong, S.H., Dai, S., Cha, M.S., Kim, S., Jang, J., Papadopoulos, E., Roshankhah, S., Lei, L., Garcia, A., Park, J., Sivaram, A., Santamarina, F., Ren, X. and Santamarina, J.C. (2019). "Fly Ash Properties and Characterization: A Southeastern USA Study." Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 145(3), 04019003. DOI: 10.1061/(asce)gt.1943-5606.0001986.
- Kim, S., Espinoza, D.N., Jung, J., Cha, M., and Santamarina, J.C. (2019). "Ch. 17: Carbon Geological Storage: Coupled Processes, Engineering and Monitoring" Science of Carbon Storage in Deep Saline Formations: Process Coupling Across Time and Spatial Scales, Edited by Newell, P. and Ilgen, A., Elsevier, pp. 287-304. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-812752-0.00017-4.
- Park, T., Joo, H.-W., Kim, G.-Y., Kim, S., Yoon, S., and Kwon, T.-H. (2017). "Biosurfactant as an enhancer of geologic carbon storage: Microbial modification of interfacial tension and contact angle in carbon dioxide/water/quartz systems." Frontiers in Microbiology, 8:1285.
- Kim, S., Ko, J., Kim, S., Seo, H. and Tummalapudi, M. "Investigation of small-scale CAES (compressed air energy storage) pile as a foundation system." Geotechnical Frontiers 2017, 103-112.
- Kim, S. and Hosseini, S.A. (2016). "Study on the ratio of stress-pore pressure changes during fluid injection and its implications for CO2 geologic storage." Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 149, 138-150. DOI: 10.1016/j.petrol.2016.10.037.
- Kim, S. and Santamarina, J.C. (2016). "Geometry-coupled reactive fluid transport at the fracture scale: application to CO2 geologic storage" Geofluids, 16, 329-341. DOI: 10.1111/gfl.12152.