An initial meeting is held between NIAC team members and plant representatives who will participate in the assessment. The purpose of this meeting is to:
- Explain the services being offered.
- Review the plant's energy profiles and bills.
- Obtain background information.
- Define other data needed for the assessment.
The NIAC takes the following steps to identify ways for your plant to reduce energy usage:
- Tour the plant in search of the most significant energy streams
- Identify energy conservation opportunities for these energy streams
- Take measurements to quantify current energy use and identify practices (these data are used to calculate estimates of energy use and cost savings in the final report)
The NIAC team takes the following steps to identify ways for your plant to reduce waste:
- Tour the plant to follow production flows from raw materials to finished products
- Identify the most significant waste streams
- Quantify the volumes of waste generated
- Calculate the associated waste management costs
- Analyze possible waste prevention opportunities