Hendrik J. Viljoen
- Ph.D., University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1985
- M.S., University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1981
- B.S., University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1979
The Viljoen lab has diverse research interests. We focus on computational modeling and development of new instrumentation through experimentation to overcome challenges. Recent research includes, but is not limited to:
- Modeling chondrogenesis
- Modeling 3D bioreactor conditions
- Fluid dynamic modeling
- Agricultural implementation design
May 29, 2013: Viljoen to lead UNL Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
May 22, 2007: Viljoen Earns Prestigious Cather Professorship
Apr 27, 2007: 24 Awards Presented to Engineering Faculty and Staff
- Newell, H. and HJ Viljoen, “Stability Analysis of a Thin Film on a Rotating Cylinder with Low Airflow” Physics of Fluids (2019).
- Li, Q. et al. “Scalable Culturing of Primary Human Glioblastoma Tumor-Initiating Cells with a Cell-Friendly Culture System”, Scientific Reports 8:3531 | DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-21927-4
- Miller, A., A. Subramanian and HJ Viljoen, “Theoretically Proposed Optimal Frequency for Ultrasound Induced Cartilage Restoration”. Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling (2017).
- Miller, A, TM. Louw, A. Chama, A. Subramanian and HJ Viljoen, “Modeling Mechanical Stimulation of Chondrocytes”, PLOS ONE (2017).
- Miller,A.,A. Subramanian and HJ Viljoen, “A nonlinear model of cell interaction with an acoustic field”, J. Biomechanics 56 pp83-88 (2017).
- Thakurta, S. G., Sahu, N., Miller, A., Budhiraja, G., Akert, L., Viljoen, H., & Subramanian, A. “Long-term culture of human mesenchymal stem cell-seeded constructs under ultrasound stimulation: evaluation of chondrogenesis.” Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express, 2(5), 055016. (2016).
- Moody,C., H. Newell and HJ Viljoen, “A mathematical model of recombinase polymerase amplification under continuously stirred conditions”, Biochem. Eng. Journal 112 pp193-201 (2016).
- Grobler, A., Z. Perez Sierra and HJ Viljoen, “Modeling Nanoparticle Delivery of TB Drugs to Granulomas” J. Theor. Biol. 388 85-95 (2016).
- Mutingwende, I., A. Grobler and HJ Viljoen, “Development and evaluation of a rapid multiplex-PCR based system for Mycobacterium tuberculosis” Journal of microbiological methods 06/2015; 14. DOI:10.1016/j.mimet.2015.06.007
- Louw, TM, A. Subramanian and HJ Viljoen, “Simulation of acoustic fields in fluid-, solid- and porous layers by the combined transfer matrix/angular spectrum approach with applications in bioacoustics” Wave Motion 56 pp122-136 (2015).
- Louw, TM, A. Subramanian and HJ Viljoen, “Theoretical evaluation of the acoustic field in an ultrasonic bioreactor” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (2015).
- Lemmer Y, Grobler A, Moody C and HJ Viljoen, “A Model of Isoniazid Treatment of Tuberculosis’ J. Theoretical Biology 363 367-373 (2014).
- Guha Thakurta S, Kraft M, Viljoen HJ and A Subramanian “Enhanced depth-independent chondrocyte proliferation and phenotype maintenance in an ultrasound bioreactor and an assessment of ultrasound dampening in the scaffold” Acta Biomaterialia 10 pp4798-4810 (2014).