Professor, Holling Family Distinguished Engineering Educator
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Colorado State University
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Transportation Systems
- Humanitarian & Development Engineering
- Engineering Education
- CIVE 112 - Introduction to Civil Engineering
- CIVE 361 - Highway Engineering
- CIVE 463/863 - Traffic Engineering
- CIVE 491 - Sustainable Infrastructure
- CIVE 865 - Highway Geometrics
- View the Undergraduate Course Catalog
- View the Graduate Course Catalog
About Elizabeth "Libby" Jones
Dr. Jones leads curriculum change efforts in Civil & Environmental Engineering including the integration of Envision in the civil engineering and environmental engineering curriculums. She is currently leading faculty development programs to support these curricular changes. She has served as a University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) Faculty Fellow for Student Success and was recently named a Teaching Fellow in the UNL College of Engineering. She is an active member of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) where she has published several papers on efforts to reform and revise engineering teaching practices and curriculum. She served as the Director of Education and Knowledge Sharing for Engineers Without Borders USA (EWB USA) and helped develop their professional development and learning systems for their members nationally. Currently she serves as a faculty advisor for the UNL EWB USA Chapter and regularly travels with EWB USA students to Madagascar and Zambia. Her teaching and research interests include sustainable infrastructure, transportation systems, humanitarian engineering, and engineering education. She has received numerous awards for leadership, mentoring and teaching include being named the UNL Holling Family Distinguished Engineering Educator and receiving the EWB-USA’s Peter J. Bosscher Faculty Advisor Award.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Union College, Schenectady, NY
- The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Transportation Research
- WHM Transportation Engineering Consultants, Austin, TX
- Centennial Engineering, Inc., Arvada, CO
Honors and Awards
- 2019-2020 Advisor of the Year Student Impact Award, UNL Student Involvement, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2018 Holling Family Distinguished Engineering Educator Award
- 2018 UNO Alumni Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2015 Holling Family Distinguished Teaching/Advising/Mentoring Award, College of Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2014 Engineers Without Borders-USA Peter J. Bosscher Faculty Advisor Award for Outstanding Leadership
- 2012 – Spirit of Service Faculty Award for Service Learning, UNL Center for Civic Engagement
- 2011-2012 Advisor of the Year Student Impact Award, UNL Student Involvement, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Sandhu GS, Frey HC, Bartelt-Hunt S, Jones E. Real-world activity, fuel use, and emissions of heavy-duty compressed natural gas refuse trucks. Sci Total Environ. 2021 Mar 20;761:143323. PubMed PMID: 33213912.
Jones, E.G., Soltaninejad, M., and Ponce de Leon, C. “Work in Progress: Moving from Outside to Inside - Traffic Engineering Field Exercises through Virtual Reality” American Society for Engineering Education’s 2019 Annual Meeting, June 2019, Tampa, FL. https://www.asee.org/public/conferences/140/papers/27511/download
Zhou, J., Rilett, L., and Jones, E. “A Sensitivity Analysis of Speed Limit, Truck Lane Restrictions, and Data Aggregation Level on the HCM-6 PCE Estimation Methodology for Western U.S. Conditions.” Transportation Research Record: the Journal of the Transportation Research Board. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198119851451
Zhou, J., Rilett, L., and Jones, E. “Estimating Passenger Car Equivalent Usng the HCM-6 PCE Methodology on Four-Lane Level Freeway Segments in Western U.S.”, Transportation Research Record: the Journal of the Transportation Research Board. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0361198119851448
Zhou, J., Rilett, L., Jones, E., and Chen, Y. (2018) Estimating Passenger Car Equivalents on Level Freeway Segments Experiencing High Truck Percentages and Differential Average Speeds, Transportation Research Record doi.org/10.1177/0361198118798237
Jones, E.G., (2018). Lessons Learned: Collaborative Faculty Development in Civil Engineering – Moving from an Individual Practice of Teaching to a Community of Scholars of Teaching & Learning. American Society for Engineering Education’s 2018 Annual Meeting, June 2018, Salt Lake City, UT. https://peer.asee.org/30768
Bartelt-Hunt, S., Woods, R., Jones, E.G., Erdmann, R. and Stains, M., (2018). Evaluating the Use of Peer Instruction in Civil Engineering Courses. American Society for Engineering Education’s 2018 Annual Meeting, June 2018, Salt Lake City, UT. https://peer.asee.org/30450
Jones, L. (2017) “Engineers Without Borders USA Global Classroom”, In Engineering Societies and Undergraduate Education: Proceedings of a Workshop, National Academy of Engineering, doi: 10:17226/24878.
Hsu, C.J., Jones, E. (2017) Transmission Range Evaluations for Connected Vehicles at Highway-Rail Grade Crossings, Designs, 1(1), 2, doi:10.3390/designs1010002.
Hsu, C.J., Jones, E. (2017) Sensitivity analysis of stopping distance for connected vehicles at active highway-rail grade crossings, Accident Analysis & Prevention, V99, Part A, pp. 210-217. doi:10.1016/j.aap.2016.12.007
Jaunich, M.K., Levis, J.W., DeCarolis, J.F., Gaston, E.V., Barlaz, M.A., Bartelt-Hunt, S.L., Jones, E.G., Hauser, L., and Jaikumar, R. (2016). Characterization of Municipal Solid Waste Collection Operations. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 114: 92-102.
White, C.; Sangster, J.L.; Joy, S.R.; Dunekacke, A.; Pirog, M.; Jones, E.G.; Bartelt-Hunt, S.L., (2013). Effect of contaminated filtration sand on performance of household biosand filters. In the Proceedings of the IEEE 2013 Global Humanitarian Technology Conference, 978-1-4799-2402-8/13, San Jose, CA, Oct. 2013.