Authorship:Core instrument supervisors and staff should receive appropriate credit for their work on our facility clients' research. If someone is heavily involved in the design/perform/analyze of the experiment, they should be considered as a coauthor; If they simply help a client using the equipment, they should be mentioned in the acknowledgements. A related article from Nature about appropriate acknowledgements for core facility scientists and co-authorship can be found at https://www.nature.com/articles/nj7544-495a.
Publications (accepted or published) that use data generated using the core’s capabilities:
- Wen Qian, Wenlong Li, Charles Nguyen, Tyler Johnson, Joseph Turner, “Quantitative nanoscale measurements of the thermomechanical properties of poly-ether-ether-ketone (PEEK)”, Journal of Polymer Science, doi.org/10.1002/pol.20190274, 2020
- Abarghani, A., Ostadhassan, M., Hackley, P.C., Pomerantz, A.E. and Nejati, S. A Chemo-mechanical Snapshot of In-situ Conversion of Kerogen to Petroleum. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2020 273, pp. 37-50.
- Abarghani, A., Gentzis, T., Shokouhimehr, M., Liu, B. and Ostadhassan, M. Chemical heterogeneity of organic matter at nanoscale by AFM-based IR spectroscopy. Fuel, 2020, 261, p.116454.
- Soodabeh Azadehranjbar, Jeffrey Shield, “Multiple origins of anomalous eutectic microstructure formation in rapidly solidified Mg-Al alloys". Materialia, DOI: 10.1016/j.mtla.2020.100625, 2020
- Wen Qian, Shuo Sun, Charles Nguyen, Steve Ducharme, Joseph A. Turner, “Correlation Microanalysis of Localized Molecular Structure and Nanomechanical Property of PVDF Based Copolymer”, Microscopy and Microanalysis, Vol. 25 (Suppl. 2), 2090, 2019
- Xueqi Zhao, Meixiang Wang, Yongmei Chen, Ziguang Chen, Tao Suo, Wen Qian, Jian Hu, Xiaoping Song, Wai-Ning Mei, Renat Sabirianov, and Li Tan, “Puncture-Resistant Hydrogel: Placing Molecular Complexes Along Phase Boundaries”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11, 19421, 2019
- Romereim, S. M., Johnston, C. A., Redwine, A. L., & Wachs, R. A. Development of an In Vitro Intervertebral Disc Innervation Model to Screen Neuroinhibitory Biomaterials. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2019 doi:10.1002/jor.24557
- Xueliang Yan, Fei Wang, Khalid Hattar, Michael Nastasi, Bai Cui. Novel amorphous SiOC dispersion-strengthened austenitic steels. Materialia, 2019, 6, 100345-100353.
- Xueliang Yan, Xiang Zhang, Fei Wang, Taylor Stockdale, Yuris Dzenis, Michael Nastasi, Bai Cui. Fabrication of ODS austenitic steels and CoCrFeNi high-entropy alloys by spark plasma sintering for nuclear energy applications. JOM, 2019, 71 (8), 2856-2867.
- M Sealy, H Hadidi, C Kanger, X Yan, B Cui, J McGeough. Glocal integrity in 420 stainless steel by asynchronous laser processing. CIRP Annals Manufacturing Technology, 2019, 68(1), 189-192.
- Fei Wang, Xueliang Yan, Chenfei Zhang, Leimin Deng, Yongfeng Lu, Michael Nastasi, Bai Cui. Localized plasticity in silicon carbide ceramics induced by laser shock processing. Materialia, 2019, 6, 100265.
- Yuanjun Fan, Yifan Huang, Bai Cui, Qin Zhou. Graphene coating on nickel as effective barriers against hydrogen embrittlement. Surface and Coatings Technology, 2019, 374 (25), 610-616.
- Fei Wang, Xueliang Yan, Lin Shao, Michael Nastasi, Bai Cui. Irradiation damage behavior in novel high-entropy carbide ceramics. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 2019, 118, 1459. Transactions, 2019, 120 (1), 327
- Dan Li, Wen Qian, Jingfeng Song, Shuo Sun, “Localized Characterization of Poly (vinylidene fluoride) Thin Film Structure By AFM-IR Spectroscopy”, Advances in Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine, Open Access, 4(2), 40, 2018
- W. Qian, S. Sun, J. Song, C. Nguyen, S. Ducharme, J. A. Turner, “Focused Electron-Beam-Induced Deposition for Fabrication of Highly Durable Conductive and Sensitive AFM-IR Probe,” Nanotechnology 29, article 335702 (2018).
- W. Qian, S. Sun, C. Nguyen, W. Li, S. Ducharme, J. A. Turner, “Complementary microscopy techniques applied for characterizing the localized nanoscale structure of poly(vinylidene fluoride)”, Microscopy and Microanalysis Vol. 24 (Suppl. 1), 2040 (2018).
- Yan, X. L.; Wang, F.; Deng, L. M.; Zhang, C. F.; Lu, Y. F.; Nastasi, M.; Kirk, M. A.; Li, M. M.; Cui, B., Effect of Laser Shock Peening on the Microstructures and Properties of Oxide-Dispersion-Strengthened Austenitic Steels. Adv. Eng. Mater. 2018, 20 (3).
- Wang, F.; Zhang, C.; Yan, X.; Deng, L.; Lu, Y.; Nastasi, M.; Cui, B., Microstructure-property relation in alumina ceramics during post-annealing process after laser shock processing. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2018, 1-9
- Lee, D.; Golden, K.; Rahman, M. M.; Moran, A.; Gonzalez, B.; Ryu, S., Fabrication of Hydrogels with a Stiffness Gradient Using Limited Mixing in the Hele-Shaw Geometry. Experimental Mechanics 2018.
- Lee, D.; Erickson, A.; You, T.; Dudley, A. T.; Ryu, S., Pneumatic microfluidic cell compression device for high-throughput study of chondrocyte mechanobiology. Lab Chip 2018, 18 (14), 2077-2086.
- Yan, X. L.; Constantin, L.; Lu, Y. F.; Silvain, J. F.; Nastasi, M.; Cui, B., (Hf0.2Zr0.2Ta0.2Nb0.2Ti0.2)C high-entropy ceramics with low thermal conductivity. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2018, 101 (10), 4486-4491.
- Lee, D. & Ryu, S. A Validation Study of the Repeatability and Accuracy of AFM Indentation Using Polyacrylamide Gels and Colloidal Probes. J. Biomechanical Engineering 139, 044502 (2017)
- E. Peng, A. Tsubaki, C.A. Zuhlke, M. Wang, R. Bell, M.J. Lucis, T.P. Anderson, D.R. Alexander, G. Gogos and J.E. Shield, “Micro/Nanostructures formation by femtosecond laser surface processing on amorphous and polycrystalline Ni60Nb40,” Appl. Surf. Sci. 396, 1170 (2017).
- A.T. Tsubaki, M.A. Koten, M.J. Lucis, C.A. Zuhlke, N.A. Ianno, J.E. Shield and D.A. Alexander, “Formation of aggregated nanoparticle spheres through femtosecond laser surface processing,” Appl. Surf. Sci. 419, 778 (2017).
- Jingjing Zhao, Xiaopeng Zheng, Yehao Deng, Tao Li, Yuchuan Shao, Alexei Gruverman, Jeffrey Shield and Jinsong Huang, “Is Cu a stable electrode material in hybrid perovskite solar cells for a 30-year lifetime?”, Energy Environ. Sci. 9, 3650 (2016).
- Wen Qian, Charles Nguyen, Joseph A. Turner, Dalie Liu, “Electron-Beam-Induced Deposition of Carbon Nanorod via Spot Mode as Highly Stable and Sensitive AFM Probe Tip”, Microscopy and Microanalysis, Vol. 23 (Suppl. 1), 1736, (2017).
- E. Rezaei and J. A. Turner, “Contact resonance AFM to quantify the in-plane and out-of-plane loss tangent of polymers simultaneously,” Appl. Phys. Letters, 110, article 101902 (4 pages) (2017).
- A. P. Arguelles, C. M. Kube, P. Hu, and J. A. Turner, “Mode-converted ultrasonic scattering in polycrystals with elongated grains,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 140, 1570-1580 (2016).
- Peng, E.; Tsubaki, A.; Zuhlke, C. A.; Wang, M. Y.; Bell, R.; Lucis, M. J.; Anderson, T. P.; Alexander, D. R.; Gogos, G.; Shield, J. E., Experimental explanation of the formation mechanism of surface mound-structures by femtosecond laser on polycrystalline Ni60Nb40. Applied Physics Letters 2016, 108 (3).
- Rajapitamahuni, A.; Zhang, L.; Koten, M. A.; Singh, V. R.; Burton, J. D.; Tsymbal, E. Y.; Shield, J. E.; Hong, X., Giant Enhancement of Magnetic Anisotropy in Ultrathin Manganite Films via Nanoscale 1D Periodic Depth Modulation. Physical Review Letters 2016, 116 (18).
- Kruse, C.; Tsubaki, A.; Zuhlke, C.; Anderson, T.; Alexander, D.; Gogos, G.; Ndao, S., Secondary pool boiling effects. Applied Physics Letters 2016, 108 (5).
- Hassebrook, A.; Kruse, C.; Wilson, C.; Anderson, T.; Zuhlke, C.; Alexander, D.; Gogos, G.; Ndao, S., Effects of Droplet Diameter and Fluid Properties on the Leidenfrost Temperature of Polished and Micro/Nanostructured Surfaces. Journal of Heat Transfer-Transactions of the Asme 2016, 138 (5).
- Bowen, J. J.; Taylor, J. M.; Jurich, C. P.; Morin, S. A., Stretchable Chemical Patterns for the Assembly and Manipulation of Arrays of Microdroplets with Lensing and Micromixing Functionality. Advanced Functional Materials 2015, 25 (34), 5520-5528.
- Kruse, C. M.; Anderson, T.; Wilson, C.; Zuhlke, C.; Alexander, D.; Gogos, G.; Ndao, S., Enhanced pool-boiling heat transfer and critical heat flux on femtosecond laser processed stainless steel surfaces. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 2015, 82, 109-116.
- Kruse, C.; Somanas, I.; Anderson, T.; Wilson, C.; Zuhlke, C.; Alexander, D.; Gogos, G.; Ndao, S., Self-propelled droplets on heated surfaces with angled self-assembled micro/nanostructures. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 2015, 18 (5-6), 1417-1424.
- Zhang, L.; Chen, X. G.; Gardner, H. J.; Koten, M. A.; Shield, J. E.; Hong, X., Effect of strain on ferroelectric field effect in strongly correlated oxide Sm0.5Nd0.5NiO3. Applied Physics Letters 2015, 107 (15).
Offer one-on-one in-depth training on the theory and operation with different levels, range from basic training to advanced techniques to meet your individual needs;
Contact us by telephone or email to discuss the details of your project to see if our instruments can meet your need.
Make a registration in our Facility Online Management system. Read the instructions and register as a new user in our FOM system. Please use a valid PO number for external users or index code for internal users as account number.
Set up a PO or acquire an Index Code. All internal users are required to have a valid index code from their supervisor. All external users are requested to set up a PO before starting any analysis or training.
Request a training on NERCF facilities. Log into our online FOM system and click the instrument on your right column you are interested in getting training.