CHME - UOL - Continuous Distillation
- 12 sieve trays with a partial reboiler and total condenser.
- Saturated or subcooled liquid feed can be fed to tray 1, 7, 12, or directly to the reboiler.
- Column can be operated manually or using the DeltaV™ DCS.
- Thermocouples and sample ports on each tray allow for temperature and liquid composition data to be collected.
- Alarms and interlocks are present for process safety.
Possible Experimental Objectives
- Distillation of binary or tertiary mixture.
- Measuring of pressure drops across each tray using a single component.
- Energy balances to determine heat loss.
- Temperature inferred composition control.
- Feedforward control for disturbances in feed composition or flow rate.
- Process modeling for predicting and fitting data incorporating pressure drop, heat loss, tray efficiency, and non-ideal vapor-liquid equilibrium.