CHME - UOL - Crystallization/Mixing
- 2 – 200 L feed tanks with a 7 L glass mixing vessel with internal or external cooling and external heating.
- MicroMotion® Coriolis meters are used to measure mass flow rates and to infer compositions of sugar or salt solutions from mass density.
- Fisher® control valves and Rosemount® magnetic flow meters are used for control.
- Rosemount® guided wave radar, ultrasonic, and pressure transmitters monitor liquid levels.
- Equipment is operated using the DeltaV™ DCS.
- Alarms and interlocks are present for process safety.
Possible Experimental Objectives
- Multiple input multiple output (MIMO) control of temperature, composition, level, and effluent flow rate using interacting control loops with the option of ratio control.
- Mixed-suspension, mixed-product removal (MSMPR) cooling crystallization of salt solutions measuring crystal size distribution to determine crystallization kinetics including the crystal growth and nucleation rates.
- Batch or semi-batch heating or cooling of a fluid.
CHEMICAL ENGINEERING EVENTS