Several papers have been written by the program concerning the results of on-going research related to source reduction technical assistance and education. Below is a list of these papers and links to their summaries. Interpreting the results of the P3 program is an important part in helping businesses become more sustainable. Click on the links below to read about more in depth analysis of the P3 program impacts and results.
- Li, S. , Ziara, R. , Dvorak, B., Subbiah, J. (2018) “Assessment of water and energy use at process level in U.S. beef packing industry: case study in a typical U.S. large-size plant”. Journal of Food Process Engineering, Nov. 41(8):e12919. DOI: 10.1111/jfpe.12919
- Li, S. ; Ziara, R. ; Kinser, C.; Subbiah, J.; Dvorak. B. (2018) “Environmental and economic implications of food safety interventions: life cycle and operating cost assessment of antimicrobial systems in U.S. beef packing industry,” Journal of Cleaner Production. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.020
- Ziara, R. , Li, S. , Subbiah, J., and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Characterization of Wastewater in Two US Cattle Slaughterhouses,” Water Environment Research, (90) 9, 851-863. https://doi.org/10.2175/106143017X15131012187971.
- Hanna, S., Thompson, M. , Williams, R., Dahab, M., and Dvorak, B.; (2018) Benchmarking the Electric Intensity of Small Nebraska Wastewater Treatment Facilities, Water Environment Research, 90(8) 738-747. https://doi:10.2175/106143017X15131012153176
- Ringenberg, D., Kranz, W., Irmak, S., and Dvorak, B. (2018) “Extending Extension’s Outreach: Impact of Irrigation Recommendations Provided by Student Interns,” Journal of Extension, 56(4) 4TOT8. https://www.joe.org/joe/2018august/tt8.php
- Kuppig, V.; Cook, Y.; Carter, D.; Larson, N.; Williams, R.; and Dvorak, B. (2016) “Implementation of sustainability improvements at the facility level: motivations and barriers,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 139 (1529-1538) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.08.167.
- Ziari, R.; Li, S.; Dvorak, B.; and Subbiah, J. (2016) “Water and Energy use of microbial interventions in a beef packing plant,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 32(6) http://dx.DOI.org/ 10.13031/aea.32.11615.
- Kekilova, A., Dvorak, B., and Williams, R. (2014). "Motivations of Program Partners for Environmental Sustainability and Persistence of Benefits." J. Prof. Issues Eng. Educ. Pract., http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000222.
- Dvorak, BI, Stewart, BA, Hosni, A, Hawkey, SA, and Nelsen, V (2011) Intensive Environmental Sustainability Education: Long-Term Impacts on Workplace Behavior, Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education, 137 (2) 113-120.
- Dvorak, B.I., Hygnstrom, J.R., Youngblood, D.J., Woldt, W.E., and Hawkey, S.A. (2008) “Lessons Learned Concerning Impact Assessment: Pollution Prevention Technical Assistance in Nebraska”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 16(6) 751-760. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2007.02.015
- Youngblood, D.J., Dvorak, B.I., Woldt, W.E., Hawkey, S.A., Hygnstrom, J.R. (2008) “Quantifying and Comparing a P2 Program’s Benefits: Pollution Prevention Technical Assistance in Nebraska”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 16(6) 761-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2007.02.016
- Youngblood, D.J., Dvorak, B.I., and Hawkey, S.A. (2008) “Indirect Benefits of P2 Suggestions Overlooked by Traditional Success Metric Accounting”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 16(6) 771-779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2007.02.017
- Economic and Environmental Impacts from Facility-level Implementation: Two Sustainability Technical Assistance Intern Programs - Kuppig et al